"Spiritual Mecca, Artistic Enclave & Outdoor Wonder" Sedona by deecat
Sedona Travel Guide: 901 reviews and 2,158 photos
Did you ever wonder where the name Sedona originated? This beautiful area was named after T.C. Schnebly's wife in 1902. Why? Well, Schnebly had purchased an 80-acre site & built a beautiful home, but he, and other residents, were upset about the infrequent mail service. Thus, he filed an application for the establishment of a post office. They tried various names such as Red Rock Crossing & Oak Creek Station; however, the government denied them because the names were too long!
T.C Schnebly's brother suggested to him to use his wife Sedona's name. He did, & the rest is history.
This first post office for Sedona, Arizona, was, appropriately, located in the back of the Schnebly's home.
Click to see the panorama
People seem to visit Sedona, Arizona, for many reasons--We, for instance, visited to see for ourselves the famed "red-rocked monoliths" that we had heard so much about. Others go the Sedona to hike in this fabulous outdoor paradise. My friend Kate always goes to visit the healers, spiritual guides, and intuitives. Whatever the reason for going, I think you'll be satisfied with most of it.
I must say, I was not enamored with the multitude of tourist-oriented shops with less than inspirational "wares". But, that was a small annoyance compared to all of Sedona's natural endowments:
Mogollon Rim, Ponderosa Pine trees, Coconino National Forest, and Oak Creek Canyon.
I learned that the road through Oak Creek Canyon was the first Officially Designated Scenic Highways and the most scenic way to the Grand Canyon!
One misconception people have about Sedona is that at all times the rocks look red. It all depends on the season, the weather, and the lighting. The photo almost looks fake, but it's real, and it appears yellow.
- Pros:Increible Natural Beauty
- Cons:Tourist shops
- In a nutshell:A picturesque town nestled within awesome scenery
Sedona is the perfect location between Phoenix and the Grand Canyon. The Sinagua Indians were the first to settle here.... more travel advice
Chapel of the Holy Cross is located about three miles south of Sedona, and it is something to see, indeed! This chapel... more travel advice
- The Endless Souvenir Shops in Sedona
- See All Great Place to Vacation in Scottsdale
- Abundant Choices in Sedona Area
- Some Sensible Guidelines
deecat's Related Pages
Sedona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Sedona"
- "Sedona, Red Rock Country"
- "Sedona: General and Spiritual"
- "AMONGST THE RED ROCKS"
- "Spiritual Mecca, Artistic Enclave & Outdoor Wonder"
- "Sedona - A Beautiful Place in Arizona"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sedona
- Hotels in Sedona
- Transportation in Sedona
- Nightlife in Sedona
- Restaurants in Sedona
- Shopping in Sedona
- Warnings and Dangers in Sedona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sedona
- 19 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 67 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Sedona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sedona
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- Commented on one of LoriPori's Sedona travel pages
- updated a Sedona Travel Page "Spiritual Mecca, Artistic Enclave & Outdoor Wonder"
- Wrote a Review Sinagua Indians and Honaki Ruins about Indian Ruins in Sedona Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Mystical Aura of Sedona: A Chameleon in Nature"
Photos in SedonaSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos