"A Real Victorian Village" Top 5 Page for this destination Eureka Springs by deecat
Eureka Springs Travel Guide: 224 reviews and 745 photos
"Eureka!" means: "I found it!" in Greek. What an appropriate name for a village where early settlers found springs to revive their health and to renew their spirits.
Allan and I enjoyed Eureka Springs, Arkansas, so much that we returned for a second visit. In October of 2005, we took a vacation to Arkansas to a golf resort. Before we checked in at Bella Vista Village, we spent a beautiful Sunday in Eureka Springs.
This quaint village always surpises and delights me because of its large collection of Victorian architecture and its genuine attempt to accurately preserve historical details.
I discovered on this visit that The Eureka Springs Carnegie Library is one of two municipal llibraries in Arkansas that were originally financed by early 1900s philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie.
I saw, for the first time, the vintage trains at the restored depot [north end of town].
Also for the first time, we took advantage of the Eureka Springs trolley. This time, I actually noticed the historic auditorium .
We also discovered that the Autumn Season is perfect here in the Ozarks. The first time we were here, I had the impression that it was quite eccentric; this time, I found it quaint. Perhaps that is because it was not filled with hordes of people.
Give it a try and see what your reaction is.
When researching Eureka Springs before we went there this time, I discovered that:
Eureka Springs has several nicknames:
1. America's Victorian Village
2. Little Switzerland of America
3. The Wedding Capital of the South
4. The Stairstep Town
5. Eureka Springs...where the misfits fit!
From that list of nicknames, you can assume that Eureka Springs is not a run-of-the-mill tourist town.
I also discovered:
Ripley's Believe It or Not Has a List for Eureka Springs:
1. The Basin Park Hotel has Seven Floors of Rooms, and they are all considered "ground floors".
2. The Saint Elizabeth's Catholic Church is a church that you enter through the bell tower. [See photo of Bell Tower]
3. Eureka Springs has over 230 streets, and NONE of those streets cross each other at right angles. Thus, no "cross streets."
4. There are some house & commercial buildings that have more than one street name and address to the same building because of the way they are built into the hillsides.
Yes, indeed, Eureka Springs is an interesting, quaint, unique village to visit.
It's obvious when you enter the area around Eureka Springs that you have entered a special place [as if Arkansas wasn't special enough]. It fits right in to the ads that the state promotes: Arkansas, the Natural State".
While we were there, we were "taken" by the stunning scenery, the ever-present trees in all their glory, and the history of the "healing streams"
- Pros:Historic Victorian Village with Beauty Galore
- Cons:Some Tacky T-shirt shops and sometimes hordes of people
- In a nutshell:Unique Village in the Beautiful Ozark Countryside
When we took the open tram to tour historic Eureka Springs, our tour guide told us that "Eureka Springs is known as the... more travel advice
If convenience is the most important aspect of hotel selection, then The New Orleans Hotel and Spa is a good choice for... more travel advice
- Eureka Springs: Its Finest Restaurant
- For a Wonderful Selection of Unique...
- See All Christ of the Ozarks
deecat's Related Pages
Eureka Springs Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lovely Old Time Hot Springs Brings You Here"
- "Eureka! Everything Springs to Mind!"
- "A Real Victorian Village"
- ""Eureka!" Springs"
- "A Great Place To Get Away & Unwind"
- "Eureka Springs - 19th Century Victorian Village"
- "Ozark's Victorian Village"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Eureka Springs
- Hotels in Eureka Springs
- Transportation in Eureka Springs
- Nightlife in Eureka Springs
- Restaurants in Eureka Springs
- Shopping in Eureka Springs
- Warnings and Dangers in Eureka Springs
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Eureka Springs
- 13 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 28 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Eureka Springs?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Eureka Springs
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- Wrote a Review Eureka Springs: Its Finest Restaurant in Eureka Springs Restaurants
- updated a Eureka Springs Travel Page "A Real Victorian Village"
- Uploaded a Photo to "A Real Victorian Village"
- Commented on one of brdwtchr's Eureka Springs travel pages
Photos in Eureka SpringsSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos