"A Real Victorian Village" Top 5 Page for this destination Eureka Springs by deecat

Eureka Springs Travel Guide: 224 reviews and 745 photos

Eureka Springs: Reminiscent of a Past Era

"Eureka!" means: "I found it!" in Greek. What an appropriate name for a village where early settlers found springs to revive their health and to renew their spirits.

Allan and I enjoyed Eureka Springs, Arkansas, so much that we returned for a second visit. In October of 2005, we took a vacation to Arkansas to a golf resort. Before we checked in at Bella Vista Village, we spent a beautiful Sunday in Eureka Springs.

This quaint village always surpises and delights me because of its large collection of Victorian architecture and its genuine attempt to accurately preserve historical details.

I discovered on this visit that The Eureka Springs Carnegie Library is one of two municipal llibraries in Arkansas that were originally financed by early 1900s philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie.
I saw, for the first time, the vintage trains at the restored depot [north end of town].

Also for the first time, we took advantage of the Eureka Springs trolley. This time, I actually noticed the historic auditorium [1928].

We also discovered that the Autumn Season is perfect here in the Ozarks. The first time we were here, I had the impression that it was quite eccentric; this time, I found it quaint. Perhaps that is because it was not filled with hordes of people.

Give it a try and see what your reaction is.

Unusual Facts About Eureka Springs, Arkansas

When researching Eureka Springs before we went there this time, I discovered that:

Eureka Springs has several nicknames:
1. America's Victorian Village
2. Little Switzerland of America
3. The Wedding Capital of the South
4. The Stairstep Town
5. Eureka Springs...where the misfits fit!

From that list of nicknames, you can assume that Eureka Springs is not a run-of-the-mill tourist town.

I also discovered:

Ripley's Believe It or Not Has a List for Eureka Springs:

1. The Basin Park Hotel has Seven Floors of Rooms, and they are all considered "ground floors".

2. The Saint Elizabeth's Catholic Church is a church that you enter through the bell tower. [See photo of Bell Tower]

3. Eureka Springs has over 230 streets, and NONE of those streets cross each other at right angles. Thus, no "cross streets."

4. There are some house & commercial buildings that have more than one street name and address to the same building because of the way they are built into the hillsides.

Yes, indeed, Eureka Springs is an interesting, quaint, unique village to visit.

Eureka Spring is Part of "The Natural State"

It's obvious when you enter the area around Eureka Springs that you have entered a special place [as if Arkansas wasn't special enough]. It fits right in to the ads that the state promotes: Arkansas, the Natural State".

While we were there, we were "taken" by the stunning scenery, the ever-present trees in all their glory, and the history of the "healing streams"

• Pros:Historic Victorian Village with Beauty Galore
  • Cons:Some Tacky T-shirt shops and sometimes hordes of people
  • In a nutshell:Unique Village in the Beautiful Ozark Countryside
  • Last visit to Eureka Springs: Oct 2005
  • Intro Updated Nov 3, 2005

• jillzi's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Lots of information about a most interesting kind of town.

• Sep 8, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Beautiful area, and the two of you seemed to really enjoy it. What a WONDERFUL old town. Looks like lots of fun. Good presentation. Some quaint hotels for sure.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Eureka springs looks like an amazing place! In the Alps, we are used to hillside houses with the garage on top but I never saw a church with the entrance on top of the clocktower!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Way to go Dee by taking that Trolley tour. What a great way to get around, and so many different routes.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2009 at 5:52 AM

I love anything Victorian and Eureka Springs looks like just a wonderful place to explore. Wonderful discriptions and great information for the traveler!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2009 at 4:20 PM

We are planning to get to NW Ark in few months. Thanks for the wonderful insight-tips. You have done a super job of guiding the new ventrurer

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2009 at 10:24 AM

I've found your Eureka, haha! This little Switzerland in America looks so impressive to be a wedding attraction in such a wonderful Mansions like the Queen Anne Mansion. Quite agree with you - this is a perfect place for wedding ceremony!

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2008 at 8:41 AM

eureka - you found it - somewhere interesting in arkanas - well done

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2008 at 5:09 AM

From your intro and tips, this looks an interesting and 'different' little city. Fascinating that it still retains trams, if mainly for tourist purposes!

• Toughluck's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2007 at 12:52 PM

Dee, your stuff is wonderful. I like the christian site information. I'm just beginning to make side trips for these types of places. I linked my Eureka page to your's. Hope you don't mind.

deecat

Badges & Stats in Eureka Springs

Have you been to Eureka Springs?

Latest Activity in Eureka Springs