Spain Transportation Tips by deecat Top 5 Page for this destination
Spain Transportation: 259 reviews and 151 photos
Changes had to be made within Spain in the last 30 years concerning transportation:
Many new roads were built or widened to cope with the huge increase in automobile use. About 90% of people who travel in Spain do so by automobile; 75% of all goods are transported by road, too.
The most problems with traffic happen in the cities of Madrid, Barcelona, & Seville. Also, along the coast in the summer, when all the resorts are filled, traffic is a real headache.
On most highways [autopistas], you have to pay a toll, although it's not very expensive.
Speed limits in Spain allow drivers on highways to travel at up to 80 miles an hour [130 km an hour]. While in Spain for 38 days, we leased a car [stick shift], and Allan loved it so much, he wanted to take the car home with us!
One big problem in Spain has to do with railroads. The Spanish railroad lines are wider apart than those in most European countries. They are 9 inches wider to take the more powerful trains that were needed to cope with Spain's mountainous countryside.
Fortunately, the new Talgo train has been built with the capability of changing from Spanish tracks to those used elsewhere in Europe.
High-speed trains have been introduced to Spain, so now the 334 mile [538 km] journey from Madrid to Seville is just 2.5 hours as compared with the 6.25 hours it used to take.
In Spain, the fastest growing form of transportation is air travel. Since Spain has become a big tourist attraction, more than 70 million passengers travel through Spanish airports every year. More than half of these are on international flights! We flew from Chicago to the Madrid Airport. It was efficient and timely.
Because Spain has no canals and very few rivers. there has never been any internal navigation within the country.
Perhaps the biggest factor in the improvements in transportation is that more people travel; thus, there is much more pollution. Oh, the cost of progress!
Leased Car In Spain
We traveled to Spain in 1999, and since we were to be there for 38 days, we knew from our experiences in Italy that it was cheaper to LEASE a car if you are going to stay over 17 days than to rent a car for that period of time.
We went through our AAA [American Automobile Association] to lease the car. They go through a company in France.
The representative in France met us at the Madrid Airport. He gave us the keys, all the papers, a "tour" of the car and how to operate it, important telephone numbers in case of an emergency, and directions of how to leave the airport. The man was efficient, well versed, and quite friendly.
The car that we leased was the 1999 Renault LaGuna. It was a great 5-speed shift car with lots of pick-up. There were three adults traveling together with our luggage, and we had more than ample room.
The advantages of leasing are that you receive a brand new car; the insurance is included in the price, and the assistance that you are given if you need it is extraordinary.
Needless to say, the fact that it is less expensive than renting a car for that amount of time also plays into the decision to lease.
My husband Allan loved this car so very much that he truly wanted to take it home with us. Spain is a mountainous country, and this car performed excellently.
Other Contact: In USA, contact AAA
Type: Car/Motor Home
More Reviews (80)
- See All One week in Apartment in Nerja
- See All A Former Cistercian Monastery in...
- See All Food-Related Customs in Spain
- See All Eating Patterns in Spain
- See All Madrid's Prado Museum
- See All Bullfighting in Spain
- See All Spain is a Great Place to Shop
- Nightlife in Madrid
- See All Guadalajara: Surprisingly Lovely Town
- Topless Bathers in Tossa del Mar; Watch...
- Speak no Spanish? Need this small book
Been to Spain?Share your travels with the world!
deecat's Related Pages
Spain Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Viva Espana!"
- "The Clock Does Not "Rule" in Spain"
- "More than this..."
- "Bienvenido a Espana - Welcome to Spain."
- "VT meeting in Madrid"
- "A Method to the MAD(ness)......and the players!"
- "CASTLES OF SPAIN"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Spain
- Hotels in Spain
- Transportation in Spain
- Nightlife in Spain
- Restaurants in Spain
- Shopping in Spain
- Warnings and Dangers in Spain
- See All...
Explore the World
- Spezzano Piccolo Hotels
- Eastmoreland Hotels
- Wudang Shan Hotels
- Atlantic Beach Hotels
- Pulau Tekong
- Ta Van
Badges & Stats in Spain
- 82 Reviews
- 222 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Spain?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Spain
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (90)
Top Spain hotels
- Barcelona Hotels
- 9442 Reviews - 21470 Photos
- Benidorm Hotels
- 439 Reviews - 762 Photos
- Palma de Mallorca Hotels
- 733 Reviews - 1874 Photos
- Torremolinos Hotels
- 436 Reviews - 1576 Photos
- Salou Hotels
- 165 Reviews - 294 Photos
- Madrid Hotels
- 5306 Reviews - 10727 Photos
- Benalmádena Hotels
- 141 Reviews - 395 Photos
- Playa Blanca Hotels
- 38 Reviews - 119 Photos
- Marbella Hotels
- 567 Reviews - 2059 Photos
- Adeje Hotels
- 36 Reviews - 69 Photos
- Lloret de Mar Hotels
- 142 Reviews - 311 Photos
- Málaga Hotels
- 838 Reviews - 2100 Photos
- Sevilla Hotels
- 2207 Reviews - 5567 Photos
- Alicante Hotels
- 482 Reviews - 1057 Photos
- Alcudia Hotels
- 48 Reviews - 113 Photos