"The Clock Does Not "Rule" in Spain" Top 5 Page for this destination Spain by deecat
Spain Travel Guide: 54,408 reviews and 142,059 photos
I was so surprised after visiting Spain to realize how much diversity this wonderful country displays. For instance, it has both the Atlantic and the Mediterranean coastlines; unbelievably, there are four official languages spoken; there are 17 autonomous regions in Spain; and architecture which copies North African Moors, Gothic and Romanesque from France, and Renaissance from Italy. You might think you are in a new country as you move from region to region.
The Food is remarkable!
Fava Beans, Chorizo sausage, seafood, Paella (rice dish), Valencia oranges, El frite (fried lamb), olives, & the spice, saffron. Most interesting are the Tapas Bars where drinks & Tapas (single servings usually eaten standing at bar)are available. They are really small snacks such as olives, shrimp, Calamares fritos, Chorizo sausage, Albondigas (meatballs), garlic flavored chicken wings, & Jamon serrano (salt-cured ham to name a few.)
Before I visited Spain, I thought of it as a rural society. How wrong I was! The roads & bridges are excellent; the population is quite well educated; & automobiles are a way of life. Art abounds; in one art museum, I marveled at Picasso, Miro, & Dali
What I loved the most about Spain and the Spaniards is their pursuit of joy...unlike America where most people put work first & family & entertainment next, the Spaniards make time for leisure, for family, for friends. They are not lazy, just efficient. It seems that in the cities, people never sleep. It seems they work, take time to rest, work some more, take their nightly PASEO (stroll), eat, & then their night begins!
Spaniards are so friendly & quite helpful. They are naturally outgoing ,& the smiles they display are incredible.
I was also surprised that television played such a large role in the life of the Spanish. (Lots of sports on TV).
As I did expect, SOCCER rules.
Bullfighting is still popular, or popular again.
I loved the mountains, the coast (both the wild northern coast & the milder southern coast), the big cities, & the small villages. Most of all, I loved the attitude of the people....enjoy life...take time to rest, to make love, to have fun.
- Pros:Breathtaking Coasts, Charming Villages, Genuine People
- Cons:I didn't find any
- In a nutshell:A Varied Country Yet A Common Thread: Highly Gregarious Population
Photographs: 1. Sandy and Allan on Nerja's "Balcony of Europe" 2. Allan in garden of Paradore Nerja 3. Dee on walk back... more travel advice
Photos: 1. Photo of Hotel Diana on the beach 2. Statue inside Hotel Diana [Artemis] 3. Little bar we used on the beach... more travel advice
- See All Food-Related Customs in Spain
- See All Eating Patterns in Spain
- See All We LEASED a Car For Use In Spain
- See All Madrid's Prado Museum
- See All Bullfighting in Spain
deecat's Related Pages
Spain Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Viva Espana!"
- "The Clock Does Not "Rule" in Spain"
- "More than this..."
- "VT meeting in Madrid"
- "A Method to the MAD(ness)......and the players!"
- "Bienvenido a Espana - Welcome to Spain."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Spain
- Hotels in Spain
- Transportation in Spain
- Nightlife in Spain
- Restaurants in Spain
- Shopping in Spain
- Warnings and Dangers in Spain
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Spain
- 82 Reviews
- 222 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Spain?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Spain
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos