Wisconsin Shopping Tips by deecat Top 5 Page for this destination

Wisconsin Shopping: 10 reviews and 12 photos

Clever Advertising Gimmick at Hidden Quilts - Wisconsin

Clever Advertising Gimmick at Hidden Quilts

Hidden Quilts: A "Hidden Gem" in Platteville, Wisconsin

Hidden Quilts in Platteville, Wisconsin, has a fitting name as it is truly hidden behind a strip mall but well worth the search for anyone looking for a fabric treasure of Batiks.

Perhaps two-thirds of the shelf space is filled with more batiks than I’ve ever seen at any shop. A good selection of traditional, brights and reproduction fabrics are also available as well as a good selection of patterns.

A machine quilting service is offered. The owner was very helpful and knowledgeable. Quilters visit from some distance to choose from her batiks.

The above portion of this tip was written by the Quilter on the trip, Jill Martin.

What to buy: Carol Long, owner, was fantastic. She was so very helpful, and I appreciate all the time and attention she gave to us.

Since my friend Jill and I spend a good deal of time on our trip in Quilt stores, we were thrilled when we discovered Hidden Quilts in an unplanned side trip to Platteville, Wisconsin because we did not go to a far away destination in Iowa on one day as plannned [a huge storm was brewing, and we did not want to be that far away from our Time Share in Galena.]

We had exhausted all our possibilities in Iowa looking for the proper batik material for a Queen-sized quilt that Jill is going to make for me, along with shams and valances for my bedroom. We knew that we were doing an Italian Borgello Quillt and needed just the perfect "teal and brown shades of a Batik".

Lucky for us, the storm was predicted [and came] which led us to Platteville and The Hidden Quilts Shop. We found the last three materials that we so desperately needed all here at this shop.

What to pay: 8 1/4 yards of Vintage floral Batik was $81.68; 5 yards of Bali Dawn Hoffman Batik was $49.50; 3/4s of a yard of Natural Classic Crush Batik was $6.60: total of $137.78. This may be a shock to some non-quilters, but this is reasonable for fine Batik fabrics.

Address: 915 B East Mineral Street, Platteville, Wisconsin

Phone: 608-348-4977

Theme: Local Craft

• Updated Jun 21, 2007
From the Heart Shop, Cedarburg - Wisconsin

From the Heart Shop, Cedarburg

From the Heart, Inc.: A Lovely Cluttered Mess....

Michele Nowicki owns and runs FROM THE HEART, Inc. in the heart of Cedarburg.

It is clutter everywhere. There is hardly room to move because of all the people who visit this shop. Outside has garden decorations of all sorts, including holiday decorations.

It is a two-story home, and each small room is packed with merchandise. Upstairs, you will find theme rooms. You pay downstairs just as you walk in at a cluttered counter. If you are claustraphobic, you will be unable to stay for long.

What to buy: Holiday decorations, especially Christmas and Halloween are sold here.. So are Garden pots, stepping stones, sculptures, stakes, arbors, trellises, wall hangings, and fountains.

All kinds of wall hangings, rugs, linens, knicknacks, collectibles, stain glass, flower arrangements, and toys reside here, too.

The prices are reasonable, but the quality is only average. Many of the items are, however, quite clever.

What to pay: Ranges from $1.00 to hundreds of dollars

Address: W62 N591 Washington Avenue, Cedarburg, Wisconsin

Phone: 262-376-1016

Jill Dressed in Items From Dime a Dance Store - Wisconsin

Jill Dressed in Items From Dime a Dance Store

Cedar Creek Settlement: For A Village of Shops, Visit...

In 1864, pioneers built the stone mill in Cedarburg, Wisconsin, to capitalize on the demand for wool products during the Civil War. By the 1970's, the mill was in disrepair. In 1971 Jim and Sandra Pape saved the boarded-up mill and renovated it into a working winery & a group of owner-operated shops & studios. This mill & adjacent buildings on or near the corner of Washington & Bridge are known as the Cedar Creek Settlement with more than 25 restaurants, antique stores, gift shops, artists' studios, working winery, blacksmith forge, and a potter's studio. Besides the winery and the blacksmith shop, my favorites were:
John Red's Closet, which is an American craft gallery with unique and creative work of over 200 artists and craftsmen. (262-377-2995)

Jewelry Works is a Jewelers-Goldsmiths who specialize in unique, handcrafted designs in sterling silver and 14K gold jewelry. The owners are Michael Eubank, Designer/Goldsmith and Beth Eubank, Designer/Artist. Jewelry repair is also done by Michael. The prices are reasonable, especially for jewelry made in the old world tradition at its finest. I purchased three sterling silver rings...two for Jill, and one for myself. (262-377-9010)

What to buy: But, my all-time favorite at the Cedar Creek Settlement is:

Dime a Dance, which is a retro shop where you can go back in time and browse through a multitude of items such as antique accessories, jewelry, linens, and an incredible selection of vintage clothing.

The photograph is of my daughter Jill in a black velvet hat with fur trim and a Lamb Coat with Fur trim. It remined me of Audrey Hepburn's style.

What to pay: Items at the Cedar Settlement range from pennies to hundreds of dollars because of the variety of shops.

Address: Washington, Avenue, Cedarburg, Wisconsin

Phone: 866-626-7005

Website: http://www.cedarcreeksettlement.com

Jill in Private Plantings - Wisconsin

Jill in Private Plantings

Private Plantings in Cedarburg, Wisconsin: For Truly Unique Gifts For a Gardener...

One of the best stores that I shopped in during our stay in Cedarburg, Wisconsin, was called PRIVATE PLANTINGS Unique Garden Solutions. The owner, Margi Wendt, does an excellent job purchasing unique items for her store.

As a gardener, I am always looking for some new and/or unique item for my own garden and other people's gardens. This is the place to find such items. It is a huge shop with at least two large rooms, perhaps a third smaller room.

As the photograph indicates, it is wall-to-wall with items to purchase. I did purchase a gift for my friend Marilyn for her garden. I cannot reveal what it is because she reads my pages!

What to buy: The shop has pottery, collectibles, Christmas items, sculptures, fountains, plants and flowers, and any other item you can think of that has to do with gardening.

The prices are a little above average; however, they are not "run-of-the-mill" things that you see in several stores.

If you are ever in Cedarburg, Wisconsin, try to at least take a look at Margi Wendt's PRIVATE PLANTINGS unique Garden Solutions.

Address: W62N553 Washington Avenue, Cedarburg, Wisconsin

Phone: 262-375-2402

deecat

Badges & Stats in Wisconsin

Have you been to Wisconsin?