""Forward" Looking State That Honors Its Past" Top 5 Page for this destination Wisconsin by deecat
Wisconsin Travel Guide: 2,401 reviews and 4,057 photos
As an Illinois native, I view Wisconsin as a "friendly neighbor", whom I enjoy visiting frequently. I live about fifteen minutes from the Wisconsin border so it is an easy drive.
Since 1851, Wisconsin's motto has been "forward". The state is always striving to move forward in its manufacturing, its quality education, and in its tourist industry. Once known as "America's Dairyland State" because of the large number of dairy farms in the state; however, in recent years, more and more dairy farmers have quit the business.
People from Wisconsin are affectionately known as cheeseheads" because of the enormous amounts of delicious cheeses that are made in the state. Additionally, the Green Bay Packer Fans have worn their "cheesehead" hats on National Television; thus, the "cheesehead" name has stuck.
People who live in the Chicago area frequently take their summer vacations to the state of Wisconsin. My husband Allan's family always vacationed for two weeks each summer in northern Wisconsin. Allan and I, for many years, would go to either Door County or to the Eagle River area on vacation. If you love to go fishing, boating, swimming, hiking, snowmobiling, or skiing, you will also love Wisconsin.
I've always thought that Wisconsin was one of the cleanest states with a great love and concern for Nature. There are many wild flowers such as the State flower, the "wood violet",many birds such as the state bird, the robin, many fish such as the state fish, the "Muskie", many gorgeous trees such as the "Sugar Maple", and many animals such as the State animals the "Badger" and the "White-tailed deer".
There is a large German heritage throughout the entire state; thus, the Polka is the state dance.
Milwaukee is perhaps the biggest city, but Madison is the State Capital. Because Milwaukee is only an hour from us, we visit it most often. Right on Lake Michigan, it boasts of a lovely location. Some of its best features are its managable size, its beautiful Art Museum, its many Theatres, its wonderful Zoo, and its many great restaurants.
Obviously Wisconsin is a state worth visiting!
Just as Chicago had its Cows/Public Art Displays a few years ago, Milwaukee touts its Beastie Beat/Public Art.
The photos show Allan pretending to eat the hot pepper of one such beast. The lower photo shows Jill pretending to pull the tail off the "sunflower" beastie beat.
It's fun to see all the different beasts in and around Milwaukee which were created by local artists.
- Pros:Natural Beauty, Clean, Friendly, and Beautiful
- Cons:Home of the Green Bay Packers
- In a nutshell:One of the best states in the Heartland of America
While staying at the Grand Geneva Resort & Spa at the Orange Lake Condos in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, we ate at... more travel advice
When Jill and I decided on "the-spur-of-the moment" to take a day trip to Platteville, Wisconsin from our Time Share in... more travel advice
- See All A "Hidden Gem" in Platteville, Wisconsin
- See All Miller Park in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- See All Forbes calls Mitchell Airport...
- See All Rolling Hills, Lovely Lake of Quaint ...
deecat's Related Pages
Wisconsin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""Forward" Looking State That Honors Its Past"
- "Where football is a religion"
- "The land of the lakes"
- "Enchanted by Wisconsin"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wisconsin
- Hotels in Wisconsin
- Transportation in Wisconsin
- Nightlife in Wisconsin
- Restaurants in Wisconsin
- Shopping in Wisconsin
- Warnings and Dangers in Wisconsin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wisconsin
- 87 Reviews
- 204 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Wisconsin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wisconsin
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- Wrote a Review Outstanding Italian in Wisconsin Restaurants
- Commented on one of joiwatani's Wisconsin travel pages
- updated a Wisconsin Travel Page ""Forward" Looking State That Honors Its Past"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Platteville, Wisconsin Tourist Information"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos