"The Mountains, The Valley, The Plateau: Tennessee" Top 5 Page for this destination Tennessee by deecat
Tennessee Travel Guide: 4,056 reviews and 9,132 photos
Tennessee is a long, narrow state with 8 other states on its borders...to the north is Kentucky & Virginia; to its south is Georgia, Alabama, & Mississippi; to its east is North Carolina; and to its west is Missouri & Arkansas.
Its name derives from an Indian word "TANASIE", which was the name of a Cherokee village on the Little Tennessee River.
This lenghty state, shaped like a finger pointing east, is really like three states in one.
TheWestern border is "squiggly" because it butts up against the Mississippi River. The area lies between the Mississippi River & the Tennessee River, the same river that's in East Tennessee! How is that possible? Well, the river makes a big loop.
This area is really part of a large U.S. region called the Gulf Coastal Plain, which extends from the Gulf of Mexico north to southern Illinois. A part of West Tennessee is called "the Delta". The river makes the soil in the Delta perfect for farming.
Beautiful Reelfoot Lake lies in the northwestern corner of the state. Memphis, Tennessee's largest city, stands on the banks of the Mississippi, and high bluffs overlook the river south of the city.
The Middle section of the state is called the Great Valley of Tennessee It's in the shape of a bowl with a high rim around its edge. The bottom of this "bowl" consists of rolling farmland where the famed Tennessee Walking Horse resides. The state capital and major city of this area is Nashville with the Cumberland River winding through downtown. Nashville is Tennessee's second-largest city
Then comes the Eastern portion of the state with high, rugged mountains, part of the Appalachian Mountain chain.
The Great Smoky Mountains run through this part of Tennessee.
Chattanooga is in the East Tennessee mountains, & Lookout Mountain is at the south end of the city. Knoxville is also in this area & is, today, the state's third largest city. Tennessee's oldest town, Jonesborough is also in the east.
These "three states in one state" make for interesting diversity in this state with two slogans:"Volunteer State" & Nature at Its Best".
- Pros:Beautiful mountains, valleys, and cities.
- In a nutshell:Tennessee really is "Nature at Its Best!"
I just received news from two sources telling me that Lefty (Carl) died this May, 2005. It so saddened me. If you are... more travel advice
Another nickname for Tennessee is Mother of Southwestern Statesmen" because three U.S. presidents once lived in the... more travel advice
- See All Music, Music, Music!
- See All A National Historic Landmark: The...
- Quality Items at Reasonable Prices
deecat's Related Pages
Tennessee Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Mountains, The Valley, The Plateau: Tennessee"
- "Tennessee, from the mountains to the river"
- "Tennessee......the place to be"
- "Tennessee Back Roads and Byways"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tennessee
- Hotels in Tennessee
- Transportation in Tennessee
- Nightlife in Tennessee
- Restaurants in Tennessee
- Shopping in Tennessee
- Warnings and Dangers in Tennessee
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tennessee
- 44 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Tennessee?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tennessee
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- Commented on one of traveldave's Tennessee travel pages
- updated a Tennessee Travelogue "Spring Break in the Great Smoky Mountains"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Spring Break in the Great Smoky Mountains"
- Wrote a Review For Mouth-Watering Sandwiches in Tennessee in Tennessee Restaurants
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos