"History, Architecture, Cemeteries, Bridges, Amish" Top 5 Page for this destination Ohio by deecat

Ohio Travel Guide: 3,829 reviews and 8,716 photos

Retired Teachers Back in an Ohio One-Room School

The photograph shows my friend Jill and I in Berlin, Ohio, visiting the Mennonite Cultural Center and its one-room school, Bunker Hill. This is just one of many private tours we experienced (no doubt, because the full-blown "season" had not yet begun).

Jill and I took an 11-day vacation, visiting Richmond, Indiana (2 days) and the Amish Country in OHIO (9 days). It was an excellent vacation that was filled with new learning experiences (which teachers, even retired teachers, relish!)

We visited 11 of the 88 counties in Ohio: Knox, Wayne, Holmes, Stark, Tuscarawas, Muskingum, Coshocton, Licking, Fairfield, Franklin, and Delaware. We drove through about five more to arrive at specific destinations.

Our experiences included small villages, two or three cities, stunning countrysides, curving hilly roads, wonderful places to stay (a lovely Bed and Breakfast, a well-equipped Time Share Resort, and a large city hotel), quilt shops, old-fashioned hardware stores, great places to eat, unforgettable museums, parks, Covered Bridges, historic roads, interesting cemeteries, universities/colleges, and fantastic examples of architecture.

The time seemed to pass ever so quickly because our days and evenings were jam-packed. Friends back home kept asking us what we could find to fill eleven days...all I can say to them is, "We really needed eleven more days!"

Covered Bridges of Ohio

We discovered that the area around Lancaster has the most covered bridges in Ohio. This one is on the Ohio University Lancaster campus.

The Amish in Ohio

It might surprise you, as it did Jill and I, to learn that 45% of Amish peoples in North America live in Ohio! Ohio has the largest population of Amish in the United States. Also in this area are the Mennonites and Swiss whose histories are similar..

The Amish shun the use of automobiles and electricity. They live as most Americans did in the 19th Century. Some of the Amish communities that we visited were in Berlin, Charm, Kidron, Millersburg, and Walnut Creek. Although we did not visit these towns (Orrville, Shreve, Strasburg, Sugar Creek, Wilmot, Holmesville, Mt. Hope, and Apple Creek), they are also Amish communities.

Keep in mind that most places are NOT OPEN ON SUNDAYS.
Thus, visit some of the peripheral communities such as Dover, New Philadelphia, or Dennison on Sundays.

Don't expect big malls; rather, you may enjoy flea markets, craft shops, and old-fashioned hardware stores.

You will find Cheese factories and outlets, hundreds of Amish-made Furniture stores, unique home-made quilts and crafts.

Mondays are washday so you will see clothes hanging on lines that stretch from the Amish house to the outhouse.

This area is located:

About 2 hours from Cleveland; one hour from Columbus, three plus hours from Cincinnati.

• Pros:Incredibly friendly locals, beautiful countryside, great museums, abundant historical sites, and delicious food.
  • Cons:Poor road signage at times
  • In a nutshell:Ohio is a state with a wealth of worthwhile sites, architecture, shops, restaurants, and outdoor activities.
  • Last visit to Ohio: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 22, 2006

• jillzi's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2010 at 7:56 AM

How bittersweet to read about the wonderful travel adventures of you and Jill. You covered a great deal of territory in a week's time. Wonderful shopping tips. What a terrific time share you were able to stay in.

• Jan 12, 2010 at 10:13 AM

I quite enjoyed these pages because of the organization, the enthusiasm, the positive spin, and the personable photographs.

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Outstanding Ohio travel page with excellent restaurants tips. Ohio certainly has wonderful tourist destinations especially Mount Vernon, Lancaster, Canton, Columbus and the historic village of Zoar. Thanks for the virtual tour. ~ho & pang

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2009 at 3:07 AM

Me again, coming back to look at your updates and new tips that you have added to this page since May 10, 2006. You certainly found lots to do and see in such a "why in the world I would ever want to go there" place!

• Dec 8, 2009 at 6:22 PM

The store "Packard's" is no longer in this location. It has been replaced by a cool and funky little shop called "frenzy." The shop is beautiful and the window displays are top notch!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Wow, this is a great page about Ohio, makes me want to come right now :-)) I love the Historical Villages of Zoer and Roscoe and your deck at the time share :-)) And the quilts, the Fibres shop and... and .. so much more!!

• yellowbell's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2008 at 10:16 AM

Hi Dee, you have an extensive list of things to do in Ohio. Well done! My hubby has an official business trip in Cleveland (Pepper Pike) so I wonder what historical places are near it. I love that Amish feature on your opening page. thanks. Cheers, Jing

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2008 at 12:46 PM

Excellent page, Dee! Like you I love jam-packed trips. Sometimes eleven days travels mean more than eleven months of ordinary life. Ohio deserves more than 11 days, I think... Thank you for the virtual tour!

• May 15, 2007 at 5:03 PM

Just wanted to let you know that Strasburg is not an Amish community. It is very close to all those listed, but, unfortunately, it isn't one. I know, because I grew up there. Hope you have the time to visit. It's a great little town with a great history.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2007 at 12:57 PM

I admire people that are able to make beautiful quilts! A very interesting page about Amish culture. Thanks for a glimpse into this uncommon world.

deecat