"My Favorite State in the Eastern United States" Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire by deecat
New Hampshire Travel Guide: 1,537 reviews and 4,540 photos
"I'm proud to be a resident of a state that best exemplifies so many of the legendary characteristics of the mystical New Englander, even those not always considered by some to be attractive. I'm speaking of frugality, fierce independence, shrewd business sense, ingenuity--and not a little pride." Judson D. Hale Sr.
Northeastern USA is blessed to have New Hampshire as one of its states! While visiting the eastern states, both Allan and I agreed that New Hampshire was, by far, our favorite state in this region. Why? Well, we mainly loved it because of the friendly, welcoming people.
The citizens are strong of character, hard working, and, oh, so helpful. Besides, they like to have fun!
The state's nickname, "The Granite State" is so appropriate because granite forms most of New Hampshire's hills and mountains.
The serene beauty of New Hampshire's mountains and lakes attracts visitors for many reasons. Some come for a relaxing summer vacation; others come to see the brilliant autumn foliage; many come to swoop down snow-covered slopes. No matter why you come, I'm sure you'll fall in love with the people, the scenery, and the history.
Business thrives in New Hampshire; less than 4% unemployment exists. Manufacturing and service industries abound. Computers are the leading manufactured product, and tourism is the top service industry. Dairy Farming and Mining also play a huge role in the economy of New Hampshire.
I'm impressed that education plays a major role in the lives of the people of the state.
The photo of the seal came from a booklet I kept while visiting
This state Seal tells a good deal about New Hampshire. The picture of the frigate in the center of the seal is a warship called the Raleigh. The state was an important shipbuilding center during the Revolutionary War. The Laurel Wreaths that surround the ship are a symbol of victory, and the sun rising above the ocean symbolizes beauty. The granite boulder in the seal's foreground tells all of us that New Hampshire is the Granite State!
Interestingly, the state's motto, "Live Free or Die," appears on the state license plates. General John Stark said, "Live free or die; death is not the worst of evils." He was a Revolutionary War hero who fought for America's freedom from England. In this statement, he was reminding people that freedom is important (and it is!)
New Hampshire has four symbols which are favorites of mine.
The State Bird is the purple finch, a little bird with remarkable resilence. The male has a dark red head that is so dark that it appears purple; the female is a dull brown. The neat thing about these birds is that both parents care for the young birds, and they eat many insects that harm crops.
The State Tree since 1947 is the White Birch. The tree's white bark with the black marks can be peeled off the tree, and it feels like paper. Early settlers sometimes wrote on birch bark. The Native Americans crafted baskets, baby carriers, and snowshoes as well as spears, bows, and arrows from the birch bark. Oh, yes, they also made lightweight canoes.
The State flower, the Purple Lilac, which the early settlers brought from England, blooms in May in New Hampshire. You can experience the sweet smell of the blooming purple lilacs if you visit then. (see photo).
Finally, the White-tailed deer is the State's Animal. It is also called the Virginia deer, and you might remember that it is red-brown in the summer and gray-brown in the winter.
These four wonderful symbols represent this glorious state, New Hampshire.
- Pros:Wonderful citizens, extraordinary scenery, interesting history
- Cons:Cold, cold winters.
- In a nutshell:"...Granite State...shows the strength of character, firmness of principle, & restraint that..characterized New Hampshire." President Gerald R. Ford
I'm sure you've heard of Dartmouth College located in Hanover. Hanover is located in the River Valley between New... more travel advice
Mount Monadnock is located in the southwestern corner of the state. A "Monadnock" is a single rock peak above a plain... more travel advice
- See All Celebrations & Events in New Hampshire
- A Car is a Must in New Hampshire
- When The Non-Shopper Shops....
deecat's Related Pages
New Hampshire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "NEW HAMPSHIRE ~~ a few highlights"
- "My Favorite State in the Eastern United States"
- "New England's Alter Ego"
- "Getting the whole point of New Hampshire"
- "diver-x's New Hampshire Page"
- "Spectacular New Hampshire"
- "This is my Home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Hampshire
- Hotels in New Hampshire
- Transportation in New Hampshire
- Nightlife in New Hampshire
- Restaurants in New Hampshire
- Shopping in New Hampshire
- Warnings and Dangers in New Hampshire
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Hampshire
- 25 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to New Hampshire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Hampshire
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- Commented on one of traveldave's New Hampshire travel pages
- updated a New Hampshire Travel Page "My Favorite State in the Eastern United States"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Connecticut River Valley"
- Wrote a Review The Connecticut River Valley in New Hampshire Favorites
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos