"Historic State, Beautiful State, Notorious State" Top 5 Page for this destination Missouri by deecat
Missouri Travel Guide: 3,418 reviews and 6,785 photos
If you like forests, hills, caves, bluffs, and rivers, then you will love Missouri. It is a state that is covered with forests and many rolling hills. It has more than 5,000 caves!
The Lake of the Ozarks area, I think, is among the most beautiful in our nation. Saint Louis is a wonderful small city with culture, historic sites, and excellent restaurants. It's zoo is among the best in the nation, and it has a nationally acclaimed Botanic Gardens.
Kansas City, Missouri has more fountains than any city in the world except Rome. In addition, it has miles and miles of tree-lined boulevards (more than any other American city.) It's the up-and-coming city of the future with its artistic enclaves, wonderful restaurants, and lovely shopping areas.
"Missouri" first appeared on maps that the French explorers made in the 1600s. It was the name of a group of Indians who lived near the mouth of a large river...and the Indians called it "river of the big canoes". The Missouri River was big, swift, and quite difficult to navigate before the locks & dams of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers tamed it (at least, they attempted to tame it!)
Missouri is known as The Show Me state. It has a reputation for people who are individualists, stubborn like the Missouri mules...that's not a bad thing either. Missouri people want proof. They will change if need be; however, with such a colorful past, they strive to preserve their history.
Missouri is divided into five unique areas:
Northwest Missouri with St. Joseph.
Central Missouri with Kansas City.
Southwest Missouri with Springfield.
Southeast Missouri with both Jefferson City and St. Louis.
Northeast Missouri with Hannibal and Columbia.
What a diverse state it is...a state worth exploring.
- Pros:Diverse, beautiful, historic, and independent
- Cons:Only when the Cardinals beat the Cubs!
- In a nutshell:The "Show Me State" Shows Us Its History, Natural Beauty, and Culture
Please CLICK THE PHOTO While staying overnight in Saint Charles, Missouri, on the way back from Arkansas, Allan and... more travel advice
While driving from St. Charles, Missouri toward Chicago, we saw a most unusual sight [which we never could have seen in... more travel advice
deecat's Related Pages
Missouri Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Historic State, Beautiful State, Notorious State"
- "Missouri & Kansas City"
- "Proof Life Exists in the Middle of the Country"
- "Missouri Backroads and Byways"
- "The Missouri Ozark Region"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Missouri
- Hotels in Missouri
- Transportation in Missouri
- Nightlife in Missouri
- Restaurants in Missouri
- Shopping in Missouri
- Warnings and Dangers in Missouri
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Missouri
- 116 Reviews
- 208 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Missouri?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Missouri
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- Commented on one of traveldave's Missouri travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Perfect Location for Visiting St. Charles Main St"
- Wrote a Review For classic gifts... in Missouri Shopping
- updated a Missouri Travel Page "Historic State, Beautiful State, Notorious State"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos