"The Birthplace of America: Massachusetts" Top 5 Page for this destination Massachusetts by deecat

Massachusetts Travel Guide: 7,517 reviews and 17,391 photos

Massachusetts: A Proud State for Many Reasons

"Puritanism, believing itself quick with the seed of religious liberty, laid, without knowing it, the egg of democracy." James Russell Lowell

After visiting the state of Massachusetts, I came away thinking that if a state ever had a reason to be proud, this is the one. Massachusetts, I discovered, was the first state to make the black man equal, and the first state to admit black children into public schools. For those reasons alone, Massachusetts should feel proud.

It's the state where the Pilgrims first stepped foot; it's the state who had the first Thanksgiving feast; it's a state where the capital [Boston] is considered one of the country's friendliest; it's a state with a rich history, but it's also a state that meets the future head-on; indeed, it's a great place to seek the American future.

Did you know that the Massachusetts Constitution is the oldest governing constitution in the world? It is! It's also the high-tech capital of the East...once again, the past and the future unite.

Although Massachusetts is a small state, its diversity makes it an important state in the USA. It's filled with great people and picturesque places. Noted for its many wonderful educational institutes, and MIT is home to more than forty Nobel Prize Winners!

Five men from Massachusetts became President of the United States, even though not all were residents when elected: John Adams, John Quincy Adams, Calvin Coolidge, John F. Kennedy, George H.W. Bush

But probably most important (LOL), Massachusetts is the birthplace of the Tollhouse chocolate-chip cookie and the Fig Newton cookie too!

Massachusetts offers visitors much to do, so much to see, so much to learn. Don't be the one to miss it.

Cape Cod Beaches

This photo makes me smile. It brings back great memories of our Eastern vacation, including the beautiful beaches and sand dunes of Cape Cod

• Pros:Historic, beautiful, diverse
  • Cons:none
  • In a nutshell:"A State Where the Future and Past Meet"
  • Last visit to Massachusetts: Jun 1979
  • Intro Updated Aug 18, 2007

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2011 at 1:59 PM

We also visited Boston and Old Sturbridge Village with our children when they were quite small. Like you, I have very few photos, as this was before the days of VT and digital cameras. Good that you were able to scan some of your old photos to share with us.

• jillzi's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2010 at 9:44 AM

What a great state! Really enjoyed your keen insights. What a great job you've done with your Massachusetts pages. Personable yet historic and informative for fellow travelers.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Hello, Dee! ><>< It's great to get so much knowledge and pleasure from your superb pages! Thanks a lot! ><><><

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2010 at 11:45 PM

Ah, I had a model of the Mayflower when I was a kid! Massachusetts was always a favourite state for me but sadly I never saw more of Boston than the airport. Sounds fascinating, especially the education history :-)

• Dec 21, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Such a comprehensive overview of Massachusetts. For we history lovers, this is a great destination. Loved the "vocabulary" tip.

• rozehill's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2008 at 2:51 AM

Cape Cod does have some wonderful coastlines and fabulous lighthouses. Beantown and Bostonese is so strange!! Another impressive page here dear Dee.

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2008 at 6:18 AM

Massachusetts is a fascinating and historic state. I was born and lived for some time in New England, and therefore spent a lot of time in Massachusetts.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2008 at 6:22 AM

Dee, this was a wonderful, informative page for a history buff like me to read while I'm snowbound here in Ohio. I love Massachusetts and Boston is one of my favorite cities. It makes me proud that you dedicated the Chocolate Chip tip to Karen and me.

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2007 at 7:02 PM

super-mega-awesome page. diligently produced quotes and detailed tips are superbly done. i had heard about MA and have been there once before, but most of the info here has been knew to me :-)

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2007 at 5:56 PM

Love the quotes. This is a terrific page - brought back lots of good memories of times spent in the state and told me things I didn't know as well. State cookies?? leyle

deecat

Badges & Stats in Massachusetts

Have you been to Massachusetts?