"Kentucky: My Parent's Home in Retirement" Top 5 Page for this destination Kentucky by deecat
Kentucky Travel Guide: 2,143 reviews and 5,413 photos
Located in east-central United States, Kentucky is where my parents lived after my father retired from Marathon Oil Company in Indianapolis, Indiana. They lived near Benton on Kentucky Lake. Because I often visited them, I grew to love this beautiful state. I have fond memories of fishing for hours with my Dad, checking out junkyards to find parts to fix his car, playing cards with Mom, and shopping with both of them.
The word "Kentucky" comes from the Wyandot Indian word "Kah-ten-tah-teh" which means "plain", an appropriate word for the grassy plains covering parts of the state.
Others say the word means, "Land of Tomorrow". But, most people identify Kentucky by its popular nickname, Bluegrass State, so named because Bluegrass grows in central Kentucky. The grass is really green, but blue buds grow on the grass in the spring, and these blue buds in the large fields look blue from a distance.
Once my parents moved to Kentucky, they acquired what we in Illinois call a Southern accent or "twang". I remember with a smile the many visions I have of my folks and their "Old Kentucky Home"!
So, won't you join me on this tour of the special state my parents called "home"---Kentucky.
Kentucky, like many other states, has the cardinal as its state bird. This lovely songbird makes music similar to a flute.
Although the Coffee Tree used to be the state tree, since 1976, the Tulip Tree has been the official state tree. This tree often lives to be 200 years old! These trees have been known to grow as tall as 150 feet in forests. The Tulip Tree is important to Kentucky's lumber industry.
I'm not too fond of Kentucky's state flower, the Golden Rod, a weedy herb, but bees use its nector to produce honey.
The state adopted the ever-popular gray squirrel as its wild animal, but Kentucky is better known for another state animal, the Thoroughbred horse. This horse was made popular by the annual Kentucky Derby.
These symbols and many others were mostly selected by the children of the state or by the legislature.
There are too many famous people to mention so I've selected the ones whom I know and enjoy or respect.
Daniel Boone is buried in Frankfort.
Muhammad Ali, famous boxer born in Louisville.
George Clooney, actor born in Lexington.
Duncan Hines, founded Duncan Hines Make Mix Co. from Bowling Green.
Abraham Lincoln, US president who lived in Hardin County.
Loretta Lynn, country singer from Paintsville.
Diane Sawyer, TV journalist from Glasgow.
Naomi & Wynonna Judd, famous mother/daughter singing team from Ashland.
Seabiscuit, one of the most successful racehorses of all time. Born in Paris. (Book and movie made about his life and career.)
Billy Ray Cyrus, singer/actor from Flatlands.
- Pros:Diverse regions, stunning landscapes, beautiful lakes & rivers, awesome Mountains, down-to-earth people.
- Cons:Lack of fine restaurants in some of the rural areas
- In a nutshell:Historic state with Southern charm, natural beauty, and great fishing!
Abraham Lincoln was America's 16th President; what did he have to do with the state of Kentucky? Well, he was born in a... more travel advice
Another personal connection that I had with Kentucky. besides my parent's home, was my daughter's university. Jill's... more travel advice
- See All One of the Largest Wooden Lodges in the...
- See All Barkley Lake
- See All Spectacular Natural Sight: Cumberland...
deecat's Related Pages
Kentucky Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kentucky: My Parent's Home in Retirement"
- "My Old Kentucky Home"
- "Kentucky Back Roads and Byways"
- "THE BLUEGRASS STATE"
- "Eastern Kentucky a Whole other world!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kentucky
- Hotels in Kentucky
- Transportation in Kentucky
- Nightlife in Kentucky
- Restaurants in Kentucky
- Shopping in Kentucky
- Warnings and Dangers in Kentucky
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kentucky
- 40 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Kentucky?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kentucky
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- Commented on one of Dester's Kentucky travel pages
- updated a Kentucky Travelogue "Bittersweet Memories of Long Ago"
- Wrote a Review The Lincoln Connection to Kentucky in Kentucky Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Lincoln Connection to Kentucky"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos