"Named After Illiniwek Indians Meaning "Superior"" Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois by deecat

Illinois Travel Guide: 8,151 reviews and 17,346 photos

America's Heartland: Illinois

The Montage of Illinois depicts the places I have lived, my high school and university, cheerleading activities, family, grave of my parents, Allan's Cubs, my home-grown flowers, & places of importance in Illinois.

DO NOT PRONOUNCE THE "S" IN ILLINOIS!

Illinois truly is a state rich in soil, scenic beauty, architectual wonders, historic significance, and people with heart. No wonder it's called such names as The heartland of America, "the true America", The Prarie State, and from its Native American meaning, "Tribe of Superior Men."

Today, Illinois is the sixth most populous state in the USA with about 11.5 million people!

Having lived in Illinois all but two years of my life, I am, of course, biased. However, I firmly believe that if foreign visitors want to know what the real America is all about, they need to visit Illinois, the whole state, not just Chicago!

Illinois is bounded by five states (Wisconsin, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Missouri) and Lake Michigan. It is really where East meets West; thus, it is often called "Crossroads State".

When you realize that air, land, and water transportation all intersect in Illinois, then you have to agree with that nickname.

Illinois derives its name from a French adaptation of the Illini Indians who were here long before the white man came. These Indians were called Illiniwek or "Superior Man".

Because of our government, disease, famine, and war, the last Illiniwek Indians left the state of Illinois in 1833 and resettled in Kansas. However, their influence remains within our state today.

• Pros:"Midwestern Friendly", Beautiful, Inventive, Progressive
  • Cons:Too Much of the State is "Flat" Terrain
  • In a nutshell:A Great State to Grow Up, Raise a Family, & Retire!
  • Last visit to Illinois: Sep 2004
  • Intro Updated Jun 9, 2005

• jillzi's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2010 at 11:39 AM

So glad that it covers more than Chicago. What a masterpiece for Illinois. My favorite was how you showed us towns via where you lived. great idea. you are truly an Illinois girl.

• Apr 27, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Like Illinois Collage. Love the presentation using the places that you lived. Good to see there's more to Illinois besides Chicago. Excellent restaurant tips. Great Intro collage..creative.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2010 at 3:13 PM

I can believe it's been nearly five years since I last looked at this page! Unfortunately I don't have any granddaughters, only three grandsons, so I have no one to take to the American Girl Place in Chicago.

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2010 at 3:01 PM

i was here because i was remembering my days passed in this state in the 80s. it is always great feeling to be on your pages - your tips here give contrast how the things were and how they are now. good organization and great details.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2009 at 3:37 AM

So Illinois is your home-state and its towns were your home-towns from childhood till now. Loved your house in Libertyville. Amazing to learn about Little Egypt and towns such as Cairo, Thebes in Illinois. A very thorough and comprehensive page, as usual!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2008 at 12:42 AM

What a lovely page, Dee :-)) I really like your storyline and the old photos of cute Dee and cute Jill :-)) Little Dee looks like little Ingrid, always outside and always "not the cleanest". Interesting info about the white squirrels!

• nada1712's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2007 at 6:50 PM

Extremely interesting tips and information on a relatively 'unknown' American State. You opened my eyes!!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2007 at 10:28 AM

Chicago is quite the place--full of noteworthy sites to visit and close enough to you and Alan to make the most of it. I've never heard of the albino squirrels--an interesting claim to fame!! Thanks for alerting me to your new tips...

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2007 at 12:41 PM

Nice tip on the albino squirrels. Wait until you read the Richmond tip by "matcrazy1" on the purple squirrel of Capitol Square. I guess my niece Lexi will want to shop at the American Girl Place.

• Feb 14, 2007 at 10:08 AM

Hi,I worked at WTAY as DJ/Newscaster from Nov'56 to May'57 as Mike DeLee.Worked "TicTocTime"8:15 to9:00AM.ten a couple of newscasts and a call-in show with music.Then,"the place to be from noon to 3 with yours'truly,Mike DeLee" Loved my time at WTAY

deecat Used To Live Here!

deecat

Badges & Stats in Illinois

• 1,603 Photos

Have you been to Illinois?