"Named After Illiniwek Indians Meaning "Superior"" Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois by deecat
Illinois Travel Guide: 8,203 reviews and 17,579 photos
The Montage of Illinois depicts the places I have lived, my high school and university, cheerleading activities, family, grave of my parents, Allan's Cubs, my home-grown flowers, & places of importance in Illinois.
DO NOT PRONOUNCE THE "S" IN ILLINOIS!
Illinois truly is a state rich in soil, scenic beauty, architectual wonders, historic significance, and people with heart. No wonder it's called such names as The heartland of America, "the true America", The Prarie State, and from its Native American meaning, "Tribe of Superior Men."
Today, Illinois is the sixth most populous state in the USA with about 11.5 million people!
Having lived in Illinois all but two years of my life, I am, of course, biased. However, I firmly believe that if foreign visitors want to know what the real America is all about, they need to visit Illinois, the whole state, not just Chicago!
Illinois is bounded by five states (Wisconsin, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Missouri) and Lake Michigan. It is really where East meets West; thus, it is often called "Crossroads State".
When you realize that air, land, and water transportation all intersect in Illinois, then you have to agree with that nickname.
Illinois derives its name from a French adaptation of the Illini Indians who were here long before the white man came. These Indians were called Illiniwek or "Superior Man".
Because of our government, disease, famine, and war, the last Illiniwek Indians left the state of Illinois in 1833 and resettled in Kansas. However, their influence remains within our state today.
- Pros:"Midwestern Friendly", Beautiful, Inventive, Progressive
- Cons:Too Much of the State is "Flat" Terrain
- In a nutshell:A Great State to Grow Up, Raise a Family, & Retire!
If you like historic architecture, Peoria is the place to see. There are Historic Districts, a revitalized River Front,... more travel advice
You can tell a great deal about a state by its choice of Symbols, its Famous People, & its Reputation as a 'body of... more travel advice
- See All Grand Old Hotel in Chicago's Business...
- If You Are In Chicago With Female...
- See All Drinking & Boating on Chain O Lakes
deecat's Related Pages
Illinois Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Named After Illiniwek Indians Meaning "Superior""
- "A thrice riven state"
- "Faiza-Ifrah's Illinois off the beaten path."
- "Land of Lincoln"
- "Illinois – Prairie State"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Illinois
- Hotels in Illinois
- Transportation in Illinois
- Nightlife in Illinois
- Restaurants in Illinois
- Shopping in Illinois
- Warnings and Dangers in Illinois
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Illinois
- 618 Reviews
- 1,603 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 17 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Illinois?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Illinois
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- Commented on one of kyoub's Illinois travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "If You Are In Chicago With Female Children...."
- updated a Illinois Travel Page "Named After Illiniwek Indians Meaning "Superior""
- Wrote a Review Peoria, a Progressive Outlook in a Historic City in Illinois Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos