"A Month In Paradise" Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) by deecat
Hawaii (State of) Travel Guide: 11,165 reviews and 29,871 photos
Once again, the Classified Section of The Chicago Tribune came through for us! We found several advertisements about Condos for rent in Maui, and after much investigation, we selected THE MAHANA on Kaanapali Beach. We rented this luxury condominium for one month, and we also made reservations for a three-night stay at the WAIKKI BEACHCOMBER HOTEL in Honolulu.
Both decisions were good ones.
The lifestyle in these two places were at the complete extremes. Nevertheless, it was great experiencing both the "laid-back", sedate environment at Kaanapali Beach in Maui and the "high energy" cosmopolitan environment at Waikiki Beach in Honolulu.
What both places had in common was beauty: the lush greenery, the sparkling turquoise water, the endless beaches, the swaying palms, the vibrant tones and hues of the exotic flowers, and the friendly, helpful people.
One would think that with a whole month in this American Paradise, all the many activities could be covered....not correct.
There is so much to see and do, and with limited funds, it is not at all possible. That might be the one negative about visiting Hawaii, the expense.
We were fortunate because we used out "miles" instead of money to purchase our tickets to the Islands. Our one bedroom condo on the beach averaged about $90.00 a day (which is very good in Maui!)
We chose to do activities that cost next to nothing such as the free tennis playing that came with the condo, walking the beach, swimming in the lovely outdoor pool, lots of "window shopping" in
Lahaina, and whale watching in the mornings from our private lanai.
We cooked most of our meals at the condo; however, went out to eat about one or two times a week in Maui and all the time in Honolulu.
All-in-all, the month was both restful and exhilirating.
My suggestion is to rent a car if you stay on Maui because everything is so spread out, and many of the wonderful places required car travel.
This roadside waterfall is one example of what one is able to see while driving in Maui.
MAUI's name comes from the demigod who drew the Hawaiian Islands up from the ocean. It means Valley Isle.
Maui is the second largest island in the Hawaiian chain, and it has been voted the BEST HAWAIIAN ISLAND.
While in Honolulu, we visited the city zoo and were completely charmed by the local pre-school children and their teachers.
The photograph shows the pre-schoolers boarding the bus to return to school after a morning at the Honolulu Zoo. Notice that the teachers use white umbrellas to shelter their skin from the strong noon-day sun.
O'AHU is the name of the island where the city of Honolulu is located. O'ahu is the third largest island in the Hawaiian chain, but is where 3/4ths of the state's population resides.
The city of HONOLULU is the state of Hawaii's capitol and the 11the largest U.S. city.
WAIKIKI beach draws the most visitors. It covers 450 acres!
- Pros:Breathtaking beauty, exotic flowers and plants,climate
- Cons:Very expensive
- In a nutshell:America's Jewel of the Pacific
Fortunately, we were in Maui during the month of January, which is a good time for seeing the whales. The best place... more travel advice
At the Maui Ritz-Carlton Kapalua Resort there are 54 championship holes of golf available, for a price. There is also a... more travel advice
- Like Vegas, Honolulu Never Sleeps
- See All A Moving Tribute to World War II
- See All Wonderful Location For Reasonable Price
deecat's Related Pages
Hawaii (State of) Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hang Loose in Hawaii"
- "Hawaiian Islands ~ GO Virtual"
- "A Month In Paradise"
- "Hawaii this beautiful place we fell in love with."
- "diver-x's Hawaii Page"
- "BlueCollar's Hawai‘i"
- "" ISLAND of OAHU ""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hawaii (State of)
- Hotels in Hawaii (State of)
- Transportation in Hawaii (State of)
- Nightlife in Hawaii (State of)
- Restaurants in Hawaii (State of)
- Shopping in Hawaii (State of)
- Warnings and Dangers in Hawaii (State of)
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hawaii (State of)
- 24 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Hawaii (State of)?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hawaii (State of)
- updated a Hawaii (State of) Travel Page "A Month In Paradise"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- Commented on one of joiwatani's Hawaii (State of) travel pages
- Wrote a Review Whale Watching is a "Must" on Maui in Hawaii (State of) Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Free Tennis With the Condo"
Photos in Hawaii (State of)See All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos