Florida Local Custom Tips by deecat Top 5 Page for this destination
Florida Local Customs: 46 reviews and 41 photos
Dee and Allan Read to Find Seashells
Unlke other Florida beaches, the Lee County beaches are left natural. By leaving the beaches natural, seaweed remains on the shore in what is called a wrack line created the the tide. This line ensures that the birds and other wildlife are't robbed of a valuable food source.
The Lee Island Coast is "home to over 400 species of shells." Thanks to the ideal Gulf Currents, more shells wash up here than at any other place in North America!
Allan and I, like countless other visitors and residents consider "searching for seashells by the seashore" a favorite pastime.
Note: They do have a "live shelling" law that encourages you to leave all live shells and take only the uninhabited treasures found along the beach. "Live" means any shell with a creature still inside. These are shells that you may find on the Lee Island Coast:
Sunray, Venus, Thorny Sea Star, Horse Conch, Florida Fighting Conch, Sand Dollar, Lightning Whelk, Angel Wing, Common Nutmeg, Shark Eye, True Tulip, Calico Scallop.
Both Allan and I found shells, and the ones that I found, I gave to my little neighbor girls (ages 3 and 5). They adored them, and play with them, pretending that they are on the beach collecting shells. And, that keeps me connected to my wonderful memories of "searching for seashells by the seashore"!
Spring Break in Florida
Every spring hordes of college students from around the country head to Florida for a week-long "Spring Break" vacation. As depicted in the famous movie, "Where the Boys Are", many students traditionally head to Fort Lauderdale in southern Florida on the Atlantic Ocean.
Others flock to central Florida's coast in Datona, where they are able to drive their cars on the hard sand beaches. Both Fort Lauderdale and Datona have attracted students for years; however, recently, Panama City Beach, located on the Panhandle, near Tallahassee, has grown in popularity as the place to be come Spring Break.
The cities where these beaches are located enjoy a boost to their economy, but the locals detest the congested traffice, the increase in crime and vandalism, and the alcohol-related incidents associated with the influx of college-aged students.
As long as Florida maintains its reputation as a state with some of the world's most famous beaches, then college students will continue to spend Spring Break in Florida, and the girls will continue to search for the perfect beach "where the boys are!"!
More Reviews (18)
- See All Fort Meyers Beach Deli and Pizzeria
- First-Class Shopping Destination
- See All Barefoot Beach Preserve, A Beach...
- See All Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary in Naples,...
deecat's Related Pages
Florida Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Sunny Florida"
- "FLORIDA THEME PARKS FUN - LIFES A BEACH"
- "Rich Tapestry of Sand, Wetlands, & Forests"
- "Come to the Sunshine State"
- "Finding Florida, Today and the Way It Was"
- "Jefie's first visit to Southwest Florida!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Florida
- Hotels in Florida
- Transportation in Florida
- Nightlife in Florida
- Restaurants in Florida
- Shopping in Florida
- Warnings and Dangers in Florida
- See All...
Explore the World
- Werlau Hotels
- Akin Hotels
- Al Mazar Hotels
- Nanuet Hotels
- Natural Bridges Beach State Park
- Mount Hood
- Judetul Maramures
Badges & Stats in Florida
- 95 Reviews
- 274 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Florida?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Florida
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- Commented on one of KimberlyAnn's Florida travel pages
- updated a Florida Travelogue "What Fun to Take A Virtual Tour With a Friend"
- Uploaded a Photo to "What Fun to Take A Virtual Tour With a Friend"
- Wrote a Review Fort Meyers Beach Deli and Pizzeria in Florida Restaurants
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (90)
Top Florida hotels
- Orlando Hotels
- 3078 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos
- Key West Hotels
- 2024 Reviews - 3979 Photos
- Miami Beach Hotels
- 1031 Reviews - 2075 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 655 Reviews - 1372 Photos
- Kissimmee Hotels
- 181 Reviews - 351 Photos
- Miami Hotels
- 1254 Reviews - 2862 Photos
- Saint Augustine Hotels
- 704 Reviews - 1918 Photos
- Daytona Beach Hotels
- 225 Reviews - 472 Photos
- Destin Hotels
- 323 Reviews - 379 Photos
- Jacksonville Hotels
- 394 Reviews - 724 Photos
- Fort Walton Beach Hotels
- 151 Reviews - 376 Photos
- Fort Myers Beach Hotels
- 123 Reviews - 254 Photos
- Naples Hotels
- 271 Reviews - 663 Photos
- Tampa Hotels
- 1021 Reviews - 2332 Photos