"Rich Tapestry of Sand, Wetlands, & Forests" Top 5 Page for this destination Florida by deecat
Florida Travel Guide: 21,714 reviews and 48,340 photos
I've taken at least 8 vacations to different parts of Florida, including Amelia Island, Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Miami Beach, The Keys, Bonita Beach, Orlando, & Sebring.
Having spent time in all these areas really pointed out to me the wide diversity of the "Sunshine State". Florida's landscape is uncommonly lush and is punctuated by deep forests, springs, rivers, lakes, & vast wetlands. There's two separate swamplands: The Big Cypress & The Everglades. Together, these two virtually cover the southern tip of Florida.
I soon discovered that the sand beaches so popular with tourists actually account for less than 1/2 of Florida's coast. Most of the coast consists of marshes, swamps, & muddy bays.
I've noted that Florida beaches come in 3 shades of color: dazzling white, a shade of tan, & even gray. The white beaches near Panama City are nearly 100 percent quartz sand; the gray tone of Venice beach has large amounts of phosphates; the tan beaches (on the east coast) reflect high shell & iron content.
There's more than Disney World. Hopefully, visitors will discover other wonderful spots:
Pensacola in Florida's panhandle is a gold mine of history.
Tallahassee, state capital, has civil War battlefields & stately old plantation homes.
Amelia Island is stunning.
St Augustine, nation's oldest city, has restored streets, horse-drawn carriages, & old buildings.
The Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral.
Fort Lauderdale, "Venice of America" because of its many canals.
Everglades National Park, largest subtropical wilderness in the USA.
The Gulf Coast with great cities like Naples, Fort Meyers, Bonita Beach, Sanibel & Captiva Ilands..the more laid-back cities of Sarasota, Bradenton, & St. Petersburg.
Tampa has Busch Gardens; Winter Haven has Cypress Gardens.
In the middle of the state, Sebring, the golf capital.
Come visit, but see it all!
The warm weather in Florida creates the perfect environment for many types of animals. There are animals of all kinds in the water, under the water, on the land, and in the air.
This is the only place in the nation where both alligators and crocodiles live in proximity. There are more than flamingos in Florida. I captured this photo of parrots in a wildlife area near Naples.
While in Florida, one just becomes accustomed to all the beauty, especially the magnificent beaches. On a day like today in the winter in Chicago, I member fondly the glorious feeling of standing barefoot on those Florida beaches, absorbing the ever-present sunshine.
- Pros:Plenty of sunshine, glorious beaches, great restaurants
- Cons:Traffic, hordes of people, gradual ruination of the Everglades
- In a nutshell:America's Showcase for Sun and Fun
There's a great but small Italian Deli and Pizzeria in Fort Myers Beach called Francesco's. Their motto is: "Cooking... more travel advice
Unlke other Florida beaches, the Lee County beaches are left natural. By leaving the beaches natural, seaweed remains on... more travel advice
- See All Barefoot Beach Preserve, A Beach...
- See All Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary in Naples,...
- See All Sports Abound in Sunny Florida
deecat's Related Pages
Florida Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Sunny Florida"
- "FLORIDA THEME PARKS FUN - LIFES A BEACH"
- "Rich Tapestry of Sand, Wetlands, & Forests"
- "Come to the Sunshine State"
- "Finding Florida, Today and the Way It Was"
- "Jefie's Southwest Florida travel page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Florida
- Hotels in Florida
- Transportation in Florida
- Nightlife in Florida
- Restaurants in Florida
- Shopping in Florida
- Warnings and Dangers in Florida
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Florida
- 95 Reviews
- 274 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Florida?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Florida
- updated a Florida Travel Page "Rich Tapestry of Sand, Wetlands, & Forests"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- Commented on one of KimberlyAnn's Florida travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "What Fun to Take A Virtual Tour With a Friend"
- Wrote a Review Fort Meyers Beach Deli and Pizzeria in Florida Restaurants
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos