"City of Monuments, Diplomats, and History" Washington D.C. by deecat
Washington D.C. Travel Guide: 5,653 reviews and 15,102 photos
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world."
George Bernard Shaw
Check out a wonderful Washington D.C. page by Dee (Yaqui)] for much more information.
WASHINGTON D.C., some people say, is really a city with 4 "faces". It's 1st face is the one that we all see as visitors & tourists...the administrative city face. Just think of the power of this Washington with its vast military & bureaucratic machines that run our country. That would include all the Federal workers who live in the city, the Pentagon, the Capitol, &, of course, the White House.
The 2nd face of Washington D.C. is the social city, mostly located in Georgetown, Embassy Row, and Kalorama. The people who inhabit this city have one thing in common: they all have power!
Unfortunately, the 3rd city face is the one that was ONCE called "the murder capitol of the world"...It is 70% African American and is hidden by the powers on high so that tourists never see it. (How sad.) Within the last few years, this face has changed for the better; it is no longer the "murder capitol", and the community has worked long & hard to clean up the "crack" problem.
And, finally, there is the 4th face of Washington which is really located in the suburbs of Chevy Chase, Arlington, Bethesda, and it also includes Marland's Montgomery County and Virginia's Fairfax and Prince George counties.
This is the "Residential & Business" Washington.
For tourists & visitors, the only Washington D.C. they will see is the Washington that I, too, saw.
I noticed that this city closes down early because the powerful politicians dictate Washington's night life. The personality of the President in power determines how "social" the scene is.
But, for we visitors, Washington D.C. is a beautiful city with outstanding & varied architecture from Egyptian, Greek, Victorian and Post-Modern styles The buildings here are great & imposing...Pennsylvania Avenue with its White House, US Capitol & Supreme Court.
Then to the south is the Federal Triangle with the Departments of Justice, Agriculture, the National Archives, Federal Trade Commission, & the Internal Revenue.
Just across the river, you find the Pentagon, & in the Virginia suburbs the CIA headquarters is housed.
One needs plenty of time to see this tourist area, so don't rush your visit.
- Pros:Historic, Wonderful Architecture, Plenty of Open Spaces
- Cons:The hidden dangers, lack of much "fine" dining
- In a nutshell:A City that is Living History
America has furnished to the world the character of Washington. And if our American institutions had done nothing else,... more travel advice
Even though Thomas Jefferson was our nation's third president, the author of the Declaration of Independence, and... more travel advice
- See All A Friendly Reminder of What To Avoid
- See All Once a Slum...Now the Fashionable Spot...
- Abundant Choices in Washington DC For...
- See All Other Sites Not to Miss...
deecat's Related Pages
Washington D.C. Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Neither American nor European City :-)"
- "Washington DC"
- "Washington D.C."
- "MY HOMETOWN"
- "Washington D.C."
- "Welcome to Washington DC our Nations Capital"
- "My Hometown"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Washington D.C.
- Hotels in Washington D.C.
- Transportation in Washington D.C.
- Nightlife in Washington D.C.
- Restaurants in Washington D.C.
- Shopping in Washington D.C.
- Warnings and Dangers in Washington D.C.
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Washington D.C.
- 34 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Washington D.C.?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Washington D.C.
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- Commented on one of Yaqui's Washington D.C. travel pages
- updated a Washington D.C. Travel Page "City of Monuments, Diplomats, and History"
- Wrote a Review The National Mall: The Place To Be in Washington D.C. Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to ""Equal Justic Under Law": U.S. Supreme Court"
Photos in Washington D.C.See All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos