"Always on My Mind....California" Top 5 Page for this destination California by deecat

California Travel Guide: 46,376 reviews and 111,109 photos

San Diego, 1945

During WWII, my father was in the Navy, stationed (when not in the Pacific fighting the Japanese) at San Diego, California. My Mother and I took a train from southern Illinois to California to visit my "Daddy", and we stayed for over six months. That's when it all began...my love for California, especially San Diego.

The photo was taken in 1945 by my "Daddy". It is in front of our apartment building. I am the dark-haired child on the left; the blond child was a buddy in the apartment building whose father was also in the Navy.

The Beginning of a Love Affair

Even though I was just a little girl, 1945 started my "love affair" with sunny California.

As this photo reveals, this was a very special time for my mother and father...they were so young, the War was going strong, and it was California that brought us all together.

Every time I enter the State, all those memories from 1945, when my parents were so vital and alive, come rushing back.

Still, Always on My Mind

Both of my parents were dead when I returned to San Diego, but they, like California, are always on my mind.

• Pros:Beautiful Scenery, great weather, Good Memories
  • Cons:Earthquakes, LA lifestyle
  • In a nutshell:Another "Star" in the American Flag!
  • Last visit to California: Jan 2001
  • Intro Updated May 15, 2005

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2011 at 5:49 PM

a great page on California's southern attractions. i liked the tips on Joshua np, the living desert, shopping and the fact that weather is awesome in winter months of january and february. my son would love that list of golf courses :-) like i share with VTer Linda, i will be here someday soon.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2011 at 4:52 AM

Usual great tips. Sadly, none of the places I will be going but nonetheless interesting. Cheers.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Hi Dee, it's been five years since I last looked at this page, so I thought I would come back for another visit. I lived in California for four years, but have never been to Palm Springs or San Diego. (I lived in Berkeley, and rarely ventured south.)

• jillzi's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2010 at 8:06 AM

What a wonderful job you have done with your California page. I especially enjoyed reading about the Greek Restaurant. That introduction is priceless. Beautiful photos and excellent and helpful tips.

• Sep 22, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Excellent restaurants and hotels. These pages are terrific. The Queen II, the Hotel, your condo, the food, the beaches, shopping, Bill Cosby, The Follies, the SD Zoo...just marvelous.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2010 at 7:34 AM

Hello, Dee! ><><>< Thanks a lot for your wonderful travel pages! ><>>< They inspire me to C R E A T E !....

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2010 at 9:29 AM

great tips here as usual! lovely old b&w pics too! I'll be back to read more. I only visited San Francisco and LA in california on october 09.

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2010 at 11:42 AM

As usual, wonderful, well written pages, packed with usefull detailed information. The Queen Mary, and Scorpion Submarine both sound like something we would love. I agree with your Joshua Nat. Park recommendation.

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2009 at 1:10 PM

I loved reading your tips about your trips to California. My father was also in the Navy and was in San Francisco for some time during the war. He also fought in the Pacific.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2008 at 11:43 AM

Excellent page, Dee! Now I know why you love this part of your country so much. That photo of the dark-haired child is very touching. I wish I visit California and your #1 there San Diego one day!

deecat

Badges & Stats in California

Have you been to California?