"Scenic Vistas Around Every Bend" Top 5 Page for this destination Arkansas by deecat
Arkansas Travel Guide: 1,305 reviews and 3,798 photos
"Who can be insensible to the beauty of the verdant hill and valley, to the sublimity of the clouded mountain?" British naturalist, Thomas Nuttall, describing Arkansas
Arkansas is a small, basically square-shaped state bordered by Missouri, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas; the entire eastern border is the great Mississippi River! However, across the River is Tennessee and Mississippi.
I found the people of Arkansas to be unique. The style of the people depends on which part of the state you visit. Western and central Arkansas remind me people in the Midwest; the southern and eastern parts of the state are like being in the deep south; lastly, the people of the northern hills are like the spirited people I've met in Missouri.
One of the most controversial issues concerning Arkansas is how to pronounce it! The state's name had several different spellings and pronunciations until the General Assembly settled the matter in 1881. Since then, the state's name has been pronounced AR-kun-saw but written Arkansas. . Never pronounce the "s"!
I remember this incident very well because I followed it closely.
In the 1950's, Arkansas lagged behind much of the rest of the country in the area of Civil Rights. In 1954, the Supreme Court of the United States ruled that separate public school for whites and blacks was unconstitutional. In 1957, nine black students enrolled in Little Rock's all-white Central High School. But, on opening day of the school, the Governor (Orval Faubus) called out the Arkansas National Guard Troops to block the black students from entering the school. President Dwight D. Eisenhower ordered federal troops to enforce the intergration law.
The next year, the state let Faubus actually close down Little Rock's public schools! Finally, in 1959, Little Rock's schools reopened to both blacks and whites.
It was a sad time in U.S. history, and I personally think that the 9 students who enrolled at all-white Central H.S. in 1957 were real heroes. I'm not alone in that believe.
In 1997, the Little Rock Nine came back to Central High to commemorate its integration, and President Bill Clinton spoke saying, "Forty years ago today, the nine climbed these steps, passed through this door, and moved our nation. And for that, we must all thank them."
Photo courtesy of the Little Rock Archives
- Pros:Beautiful landscapes, hot springs, and mountains
- Cons:Lingering prejudice in parts of the state
- In a nutshell:A gorgeous state with friendly, down-to-earth people.
Please click for correct effect While in Hot Springs, an excellent choice for fine dining is Chef Paul's located in, of... more travel advice
One of the most charming places we ate in Arkansas was on the south edge of Eureka Springs at a restaurant called Autumn... more travel advice
deecat's Related Pages
Arkansas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Scenic Vistas Around Every Bend"
- "Basaic Arkansas Page"
- "Arkansas Family Trip"
- "frank's Arkansas Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arkansas
- Hotels in Arkansas
- Transportation in Arkansas
- Nightlife in Arkansas
- Restaurants in Arkansas
- Shopping in Arkansas
- Warnings and Dangers in Arkansas
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Arkansas
- 60 Reviews
- 79 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Arkansas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arkansas
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- updated a Arkansas Travel Page "Scenic Vistas Around Every Bend"
- Commented on one of herzog63's Arkansas travel pages
- Wrote a Review Fine Dining in a Shopping Plaza? in Arkansas Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fine Dining in a Shopping Plaza?"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (90)
Top Arkansas hotels
- Eureka Springs Hotels
- 223 Reviews - 741 Photos
- Siloam Springs Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 3 Photos
- Hot Springs Hotels
- 118 Reviews - 292 Photos
- Horseshoe Bend Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 12 Photos
- Bentonville Hotels
- 52 Reviews - 196 Photos
- Little Rock Hotels
- 134 Reviews - 310 Photos
- Mount Nebo State Park Hotels
- 1 Review - 48 Photos
- Mountain View Hotels
- 48 Reviews - 72 Photos
- Mountain Home Hotels
- 22 Reviews - 49 Photos
- North Little Rock Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 9 Photos
- West Memphis Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 2 Photos
- Fayetteville Hotels
- 37 Reviews - 83 Photos
- Mountain Home Hotels
- 5 Hotels
- Conway Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 5 Photos
- El Dorado Hotels
- 1 Review - 7 Photos