"United States: A Melting Pot" Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America by deecat
United States of America Travel Guide: 285,773 reviews and 659,900 photos
Note: Photo is in my classroom with Creations Literary/Art Magazine Students and myself
Although the United States of America is not the largest country, nor does it have the biggest population, it is perhaps the wealthiest & the most powerful (Not that those traits are the ones that I admire.)
But what I do admire about MY country is its generosity to others. We are always helping other countries ( maybe because we have a population which represents the entire world.) The only authentic Americans are the American Indians, who really came from Asia, traveling over the Bering Strait when it was a land bridge about 25,000 years ago!
This large, but young, country goes by many names. It's called America, The United States of America, & simply the USA. Regardless of which name you use, almost everyone in the world knows who you mean.
It's certainly a country of contrasts with its densely populated cities & its uninhabited wilderness; its snow-covered mountains & its vast, endless deserts; its incredible wealth & its extreme poverty. The sheer size of our country has influenced our own behavior--Super-sized meals, super fast cars, super tall buildings, super huge homes, super stars, super athletes, &, sadly, too many super-sized bodies and super-sized egoes.
But, my country is also responsible for producing some of the hardest working people with pioneering spirits who are forever creating new frontiers in science, art, & technology.
The photo is in my classroom where many nationalities are represented: Peru, Phillipines, Ireland, China, Korea, Africa, Italy, Germany, Spain, Poland, Great Britain, and Sweden, oh, and, yes, American Indian.(Yes, I'm the short one on the far right in the second row from the top).
If you ask almost any American about the origin of his/her ancestors, he/she will likely mention two or three different countries. Why? Because America is a nation of immigrants--different races with different ethnic traditions.
I, for instance am a mixture of American Indian, German, English, and Irish. What a "hodge podge", huh?
We are immigrants from every corner of the world; our ancestors helped build this country, and they created a huge MELTING POT of nationalities, races, and ethnic groups. It's a swirling cauldron of pride, ambition, enthusiasm, creativity, intelligence, hard work, talent, and generosity--a mixture that I'm proud to be a member of!
In the following pages, I plan to highlight the states that I have visited by selecting a site or sight that really impressed me. It will probably be a city, a town, or a piece of architecture. I will also include outstanding restaurants if the places I ate at in a particular state were outstanding; the same will be true of hotels.
My focus will be on cultural tips also. There are so many misconceptions about MY country and certain states within it, that I want to present the facts.
Hopefully, these tips will be helpful.
Just because I do not cover a particular state DOES NOT mean that I dislike that state; it only means that I have not visited it.
The photo here reveals my "spot" in this great big country. I live in Illinois where I was born, have always lived, and will, no doubt, die.
Americans are proud of their country but always most loyal to their little corner of the nation....mine is American, the Midwest, Illinois, Chicago, my neighborhood in Libertyville, and my home and gardens.
- Pros:Democratic Form of Government, Diverse Population, Opportunities Abound
- Cons:Consumerism too prevalent, Too much poverty & Pollution
- In a nutshell:A Free Nation of Diverse People Who are Generous but Over Indulged
Although I am not one to lie out on the beach [because of the damage The sun causes to the skin], I do love beaches,... more travel advice
The first time that Allan and I ate at an Olive Garden Restaurant, we were in Florida. I distinctly remember that we... more travel advice
- See All Some Unique Tips for Packing
- See All Originally a "5&10 Store: Wal-Mart...
- See All Georgia's Capital
- See All Patriotic Small Town America
deecat's Related Pages
United States of America Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BASAIC's USA Page"
- "A constant work in progress"
- "United States: A Melting Pot"
- "America the Beautiful"
- "Saying Goodbye to the United States of America"
- "THE UNITED STATES"
- "USA - several trips"
- See All...
- Things to Do in United States of America
- Hotels in United States of America
- Transportation in United States of America
- Nightlife in United States of America
- Restaurants in United States of America
- Shopping in United States of America
- Warnings and Dangers in United States of America
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in United States of America
- 1,802 Reviews
- 3,922 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 46 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to United States of America?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in United States of America
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- Commented on one of hunterV's United States of America travel pages
- Wrote a Review Naples, Florida has Pristine Beaches in United States of America Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Naples, Florida has Pristine Beaches"
- updated a United States of America Travel Page "United States: A Melting Pot"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (90)
Top United States of America hotels
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5858 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8419 Reviews - 17290 Photos
- Key West Hotels
- 2037 Reviews - 4028 Photos
- Miami Beach Hotels
- 1034 Reviews - 2092 Photos
- Kissimmee Hotels
- 181 Reviews - 351 Photos
- New Orleans Hotels
- 4178 Reviews - 7221 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 320 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Gatlinburg Hotels
- 388 Reviews - 651 Photos
- Honolulu Hotels
- 1993 Reviews - 4750 Photos
- Los Angeles Hotels
- 4385 Reviews - 8826 Photos
- San Francisco Hotels
- 9107 Reviews - 19361 Photos
- Miami Hotels
- 1271 Reviews - 2940 Photos
- Chicago Hotels
- 5885 Reviews - 12006 Photos