"United States: A Melting Pot" Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America by deecat

United States of America Travel Guide: 288,293 reviews and 669,409 photos

Diversity Abounds in the USA

updated hotels

Note: Photo is in my classroom with Creations Literary/Art Magazine Students and myself

Although the United States of America is not the largest country, nor does it have the biggest population, it is perhaps the wealthiest & the most powerful (Not that those traits are the ones that I admire.)
But what I do admire about MY country is its generosity to others. We are always helping other countries ( maybe because we have a population which represents the entire world.) The only authentic Americans are the American Indians, who really came from Asia, traveling over the Bering Strait when it was a land bridge about 25,000 years ago!

This large, but young, country goes by many names. It's called America, The United States of America, & simply the USA. Regardless of which name you use, almost everyone in the world knows who you mean.

It's certainly a country of contrasts with its densely populated cities & its uninhabited wilderness; its snow-covered mountains & its vast, endless deserts; its incredible wealth & its extreme poverty. The sheer size of our country has influenced our own behavior--Super-sized meals, super fast cars, super tall buildings, super huge homes, super stars, super athletes, &, sadly, too many super-sized bodies and super-sized egoes.

But, my country is also responsible for producing some of the hardest working people with pioneering spirits who are forever creating new frontiers in science, art, & technology.

The photo is in my classroom where many nationalities are represented: Peru, Phillipines, Ireland, China, Korea, Africa, Italy, Germany, Spain, Poland, Great Britain, and Sweden, oh, and, yes, American Indian.(Yes, I'm the short one on the far right in the second row from the top).

If you ask almost any American about the origin of his/her ancestors, he/she will likely mention two or three different countries. Why? Because America is a nation of immigrants--different races with different ethnic traditions.
I, for instance am a mixture of American Indian, German, English, and Irish. What a "hodge podge", huh?

We are immigrants from every corner of the world; our ancestors helped build this country, and they created a huge MELTING POT of nationalities, races, and ethnic groups. It's a swirling cauldron of pride, ambition, enthusiasm, creativity, intelligence, hard work, talent, and generosity--a mixture that I'm proud to be a member of!

This is MY Country

In the following pages, I plan to highlight the states that I have visited by selecting a site or sight that really impressed me. It will probably be a city, a town, or a piece of architecture. I will also include outstanding restaurants if the places I ate at in a particular state were outstanding; the same will be true of hotels.
My focus will be on cultural tips also. There are so many misconceptions about MY country and certain states within it, that I want to present the facts.
Hopefully, these tips will be helpful.

Just because I do not cover a particular state DOES NOT mean that I dislike that state; it only means that I have not visited it.

My Little Corner of This Great Country

The photo here reveals my "spot" in this great big country. I live in Illinois where I was born, have always lived, and will, no doubt, die.

Americans are proud of their country but always most loyal to their little corner of the nation....mine is American, the Midwest, Illinois, Chicago, my neighborhood in Libertyville, and my home and gardens

• Pros:Democratic Form of Government, Diverse Population, Opportunities Abound
  • Cons:Consumerism too prevalent, Too much poverty & Pollution
  • In a nutshell:A Free Nation of Diverse People Who are Generous but Over Indulged
  • Intro Updated Oct 15, 2005

• jillzi's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Terrific photographs. Dee, this is incredible. "Whew!" is the operative word...must have taken forever. What an excellent source for anyone. I'm very impressed.

• Feb 24, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Astounding! What a web page for those coming to visit the USA or anyone interested in a particular state. Such helpful tips and beautiful pictures.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2009 at 4:15 AM

Me again, coming back to have a look at the fine new tips and updates that you have added to this page since November 28, 2005, which was the last time I stopped by. Three years to pay for a vacation? Even I can't top that record!

• Tijavi's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Amazing! What can I say, better than the guide book I'm reading now! Can't wait to visit your wonderful country in 2 weeks' time. Counting the days...counting the days!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2009 at 10:55 AM

~ Hi, Dee! Each of your pages is a masterpiece I must say! Thanks a lot ><><><><

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2009 at 1:36 AM

What a fascinating description of your beautiful country, Dee :-) I learned so much, and your off path and local custom section is fascinating!! Oh happy memories of my San Diego stay, thanks Dee :-) I am hungry now :-)

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2009 at 3:10 PM

great restaurant tips - some of your best writing, methinks

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2008 at 3:06 PM

All I can say is "WOW!: What absolutely informative tips...and so well thought out. What an amazing recap of our beautiful states!

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2008 at 9:31 AM

Wow.. outstanding page of USA. You brought the beautiful of each of the states highlighted. I like that picture for CT. A real gem here. Cheers, SL :)

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2008 at 3:22 PM

I vote for you as the first Ambassador of America on VT! What fantastic pages. Your intro picture is priceless! I can only imagine who wonderful a teacher you were and still are! Many kisses, Janet

deecat

Badges & Stats in United States of America

• 1,802 Reviews
  • 3,922 Photos

Have you been to United States of America?