"Sensational Sicily" Top 5 Page for this destination Sicilia by deecat

Sicilia Travel Guide: 2,527 reviews and 7,491 photos

A Four-Day Adventure

While staying in Gaeta for 68 days, we decided to take a side trip to Sicily.

We drove to the most southern part of the mainland and took the ferry to Messina. Messina is quite a large town, which we discovered when we drove out of Messina, after a night's stay, during morning rush hour!

We drove to the town of Enna (28,000 people), and when we reached Enna, we parked at the bottom of a steep incline and walked through the ancient city to the Archeological Museum and to the Castello di Lombardin.

From the top of the castle turret, we could see great views of the surrounding area. We stayed in: Agrigento, Syracusa, and Taormina.

All these places were wonderful and all so different.

Agrigento (Valley of the Temples)

The Valley of the Temples is one of the most impressive ancient Greek ruins dating from the 5th Century BC.

We stayed in Hotel Colleverde Park. Our room was on the third floor with a view of the sea and of The Valley of the Temples in the distance (which was lit up at night).

It was also within walking distance of a famed restaurant, LaCaprice, with a view overlooking the many temples. Quite an extraordinary meal.

The temple in the introduction is Temple of Concord, which is in perfect condition because it had been converted into a Christian church in the 6th century; therefore, it was not destroyed.

he picture on this page, Temple of Juno, was massive but partially in ruins.

My mythology teaching all those years really helped me understand and marvel at these sites.

Siracusa

I was quite surprised at how much I liked the city of Siracusa. I usually prefer smaller towns and villages.

There is a wonderful archeological park with a theatre and Paradise Quarry and Grotto in honor of the ancient mythological god, Dionysus, (God of Wine and the Vine) that we visited and enjoyed.

The Island of Ortygia is attached to Siracusa and is worth a visit.

Both my husband Allan and I love the fountain called Fountain of Diana and took many pictures of it.

The Duomo is unusual because it was first the temple of Athena, (Goddess of Wisdom, War,& Cities) and later converted to a Christian Basilica. The huge columns originated in Athena's temple and still exist today. Large stained glass windows give the Duomo a mystical feeling.

We thought that Siracusa was a romantic, charming city with a great climate, an excellent harbor, and
amazingly friendly people.

• Pros:Great climate, varied sites, wonderful history
  • Cons:None that we encountered
  • In a nutshell:A Delightful Side Trip
  • Last visit to Sicilia: May 1997
  • Intro Updated Jul 3, 2005

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Very comprehensive and highly informative tips, as usual, with wonderful photos. It must have been great for you to see those magnificent ancient temples devoted to figures of Greek mythology, especially since you had been teaching about the mythology for so many years.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2011 at 12:29 PM

I hope you get to go back too. This way I get to see your lovely adventures. Sicilia looks absolutely charming. I always enjoy such thoughtful and detailed tips. Excellent page!

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Wow Sicilia sounds enchanting...someday...sigh.. Happy Thanksgiving!

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2010 at 12:55 PM

really well writen collection of tips. impressed i is !

• jillzi's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2010 at 11:08 AM

What a wealth of information! The ruins seem incredible and in such good shape. Outstanding descriptions. What a wonderful location for you hotel near the ruins.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Hi, Dee, my good friend! Your pages always make interesting reading ! Thanks a lot! ~ Take care ~

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Back for a revisit, might be heading there again. Still love the dog pics. Cheers

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2009 at 7:09 PM

Hi Dee, Enjoyed your Sicily page, Sooner or later we will revisit Italy and a trip to Sicily will be included. Did not realise there were so many ruins there.

• May 18, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Outstanding photographs of the ruins. What lovely hotels.Quite a vacation, that is for sure. Really enjoyed these pages. LOL at Allan pretending to be Atlas.

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Another stirling page Dee... and yes, bambinos are met with an incredible warmth in Italy (and SA and USA!) that I find lacking in the UK... here they are ofte sadly seen as a nuisance, to be tucked away :(

deecat

Badges & Stats in Sicilia

Have you been to Sicilia?

Latest Activity in Sicilia