"Sensational Sicily" Top 5 Page for this destination Sicilia by deecat
Sicilia Travel Guide: 2,789 reviews and 8,710 photos
While staying in Gaeta for 68 days, we decided to take a side trip to Sicily.
We drove to the most southern part of the mainland and took the ferry to Messina. Messina is quite a large town, which we discovered when we drove out of Messina, after a night's stay, during morning rush hour!
We drove to the town of Enna (28,000 people), and when we reached Enna, we parked at the bottom of a steep incline and walked through the ancient city to the Archeological Museum and to the Castello di Lombardin.
From the top of the castle turret, we could see great views of the surrounding area. We stayed in: Agrigento, Syracusa, and Taormina.
All these places were wonderful and all so different.
The Valley of the Temples is one of the most impressive ancient Greek ruins dating from the 5th Century BC.
We stayed in Hotel Colleverde Park. Our room was on the third floor with a view of the sea and of The Valley of the Temples in the distance (which was lit up at night).
It was also within walking distance of a famed restaurant, LaCaprice, with a view overlooking the many temples. Quite an extraordinary meal.
The temple in the introduction is Temple of Concord, which is in perfect condition because it had been converted into a Christian church in the 6th century; therefore, it was not destroyed.
he picture on this page, Temple of Juno, was massive but partially in ruins.
My mythology teaching all those years really helped me understand and marvel at these sites.
I was quite surprised at how much I liked the city of Siracusa. I usually prefer smaller towns and villages.
There is a wonderful archeological park with a theatre and Paradise Quarry and Grotto in honor of the ancient mythological god, Dionysus, (God of Wine and the Vine) that we visited and enjoyed.
The Island of Ortygia is attached to Siracusa and is worth a visit.
Both my husband Allan and I love the fountain called Fountain of Diana and took many pictures of it.
The Duomo is unusual because it was first the temple of Athena, (Goddess of Wisdom, War,& Cities) and later converted to a Christian Basilica. The huge columns originated in Athena's temple and still exist today. Large stained glass windows give the Duomo a mystical feeling.
We thought that Siracusa was a romantic, charming city with a great climate, an excellent harbor, and
amazingly friendly people.
- Pros:Great climate, varied sites, wonderful history
- Cons:None that we encountered
- In a nutshell:A Delightful Side Trip
While in lovely Taormina, we were taken aback by the large number of dogs that we saw. Most of these dogs were large in... more travel advice
While visiting Sicily, we started to notice what we thought, at first, to be fruit. We discovered that it was really... more travel advice
- For Fresh Flowers
- After Dinner Walk and Midnight Snack
- See All For a Panoramic View....
- Layered Effect and Prescription Drugs
deecat's Related Pages
Sicilia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""Touched by the sea, kissed by the sun ....."
- "Sicilia - more than another island"
- "Sensational Sicily"
- "SCENES FROM SICILY"
- "My sunshine land"
- "Under my skin"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sicilia
- Hotels in Sicilia
- Transportation in Sicilia
- Nightlife in Sicilia
- Restaurants in Sicilia
- Shopping in Sicilia
- Warnings and Dangers in Sicilia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sicilia
- 30 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Sicilia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sicilia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos