"From Positano to Salerno: The Amalfi Coast" Top 5 Page for this destination Campania by deecat

Campania Travel Guide: 4,631 reviews and 11,901 photos

Treacherous Twists and Turns

I just moved my Almalfi pages to Campania.

The Amalfi Coast is a succession of Turquoise Coves which, when seen for the first time, takes ones breath away!

If you are not too busy hanging on, you will be able to see some of the most spectacular sights in all of Italy. The drive is a harrowing experience, either in a car or on the bus. It's a combination of Italian dare devil drivers and a road that follows each challenging twist of the shoreline.

It is so wild; yet, still welcoming. I could not believe the breathtaking views and all the unexpected bays, the sheer sides of the mountain, & the pristine hues of the sea.

The first time we saw the coast, my husband Allan drove it, & I did not
think we would make it there alive. One truck, to avoid a jutting rock formation, crossed the center line on a curve & missed us by inches. I almost pulled the door handle off because I was holding on so tightly.

Because of this intense experience, the next time we went on the Amalfi Coast, we took the bus.

I took this picture from inside the bus (the mirror is the bus driver's way of seeing more clearly all sides) & shows how close we are to the rail overlooking the fabulous scenery below.

Sometimes the scenery includes brightly painted houses which seem to cling to the sides of the steep slopes. Other times, the scenery includes gardens and orchards planted in descending step fashion (terraced) all the way to the sea. It appears that every inch of the land is used ...this is especially true with the lemon trees. Also, the scenery includes sensational beaches dotted with sun lovers.

Remember, along this drive, one is confronted with sharp ( I mean sharp) narrow curves, impatient local drivers, tourist buses too large to make the curves in their own lanes, stretches of roadway without guardrails, & ledges of rocks jutting out from the sides of the cliffs.

Even with these dangers, I still think that the spectacular scenery, historic towns, quaint villages,and jewel-like coves are worth the risk.

Some of the most delightful towns and villages are:
Positano
Amalfi
Ravello
Sorrento

There's something for everyone here...natural beauty, delicious seafood, beautiful beaches, small towns & villages to wander through, & that harrowing drive along the amazing Amalfi Coast

Amalfi: Major Tourist Center

Amalfi's pride is its Duomo in Piazza del Duomo, which has a black-and white facade, bronze doors, fine mosaics, and a crypt for St Andrew the Apostle.

The picture shows the front of the Duomo and a young couple just wed there.
Beside the church is the Paradise Cloister where one may enter to view the crypt of St. Andrew.

Once, Amalfi was famous for its highly regarded paper industry, which was a real art. It has not completely disappeared because Antonio Cavaliere (who descended from an ancient master papermaker) has a workshop here and still makes this quality paper.

Those interested in paper making, can visit Museum of Paper (Museo della Carta) at Via Valle dei Mulini)

But, many people come to Amalfi for a resort vacation and to savor the aqua waters of the Tyrrhenian Sea.

Steep slopes, swimsuits, and the sea

What a location...POSITANO is built in a gap between two mountains with the Tyrrhenian Seaat its base.

The beach does not resemble most American beaches; it is not sandy. It is pebbly. That does not deter the sunbathers.

Positano is quite popular because of its splendid views, expensive shops, numerous hotels, and proximity to the Isle of Capri

• Pros:Extraordinary scenery, fresh seafood, great shops
  • Cons:Quite expensive
  • Last visit to Campania: Apr 1997
  • Intro Updated Apr 15, 2007

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2011 at 8:36 PM

You have some of most wonderful pages Dee! I so enjoy your detailed tips and the way you subscribe your adventures makes us feel like we right there beside you and your wonderful other half!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2011 at 2:57 PM

It's been nearly four years since I last looked at this page, and I see you have done some updates since then. Your tips are always a pleasure to read. Very informative and well-organized, with lots of interesting details.

• Jul 17, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Wow, do these places look beautiful. Smart move to put these tips under Campania. What an extraordinary area in Italy. Excellent updates. Some beautiful pictures.

• jillzi's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Sounds like a wonderful place to visit. Excellent photographs and exceptional introduction. What an interesting place to visit; I certainly would not want to do that drive twice!

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2009 at 7:48 AM

A lovely page, Dee. I would love Positano for the terraced houses and cats. The hotel that you found had an amazing view. This seems like a wonderful area to visit. Your tips & photos are making my feet itch again.

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Wonderful Campania page. The streets of Old Sorrento sound interesting to visit and explore, and so are the towns of Positano and Ravello. Thanks for sharing. ~ho & pang

• Aug 18, 2009 at 7:07 AM

Intersting tip: Ceramics Galore!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2009 at 5:04 AM

I have not read your Italy pages in awhile so came back to view this amazing little town on the coast. Very nice photos and now I want to have pizza.

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2009 at 1:28 AM

I have to visit this area one day. Nice page. Ciao!

• Jun 20, 2008 at 1:08 AM

Buon Giorno my genuine friend! I missed you too. We are planning to enjoy Italy once again this October..1 night Rome,1 night Napoli and 3 nights in Capri..Wish you were with us.Hugs!

deecat

Badges & Stats in Campania

Have you been to Campania?