"Castles/Palaces, Sea/Mountains, & Food/Wine..." Top 5 Page for this destination Marche by deecat
Marche Travel Guide: 543 reviews and 1,525 photos
Le Marche (pronouned La Mar kay) is tucked between the Apennines Mountains and the Adriatic Sea. It's becoming known as "the new Tuscany" because of all the beautiful hill towns, wonderful cuisine, and breathtaking views. However, there are fewer tourist, the cost is lower, and the local people are still delighted to see foreign visitors.
In the Marches (as the Le Marche is called by most Americans), there were lots of self-governing communities in the 14th and 15th centuries who became independent states that were ruled by families continually in conflict with other familes and communities. That's why there are so many fortresses and castles in this area. In most of the towns that we visited, the military architect, Francesco di Giorgio Martini did remarkable work. That was true in Mondavio, Urbino, & Urbani.
The cities on the Adriatic Sea have origins that have long histories as ports and markets. There are two regional nature parks on the coast:
Colle San Bartolo Rigional Park
Monte Conero Regional Park (which we visited).
These are places where unspoilt natural environment is the star. Here you can see a multitude of birds and other wildlife.
The views along the coast are fabulous, and the historic towns add another dimension to the area of %Le Marche.
The Le Marche offers an incredible variety of foods cooked in traditional manner. Along the coast, they are known for delicious fish recipes such as brodetto (fish soup).
At the foot of the Monti Sibillini, Pork is "king". For instance, porchetta (roast suckling big) originated from this region. Cured pork products are also renown here such as: Carpegna hams, the salame of Fabriano, Ciausculu from Visso..
Numerous sheep's milk cheeses such as formaggio di fossa of Talamello and pecorino are produced in all the mountain areas.
Perhaps the Le Marche area is best know for the cultivation of truffles (both black and white).
Found in the province of Ascoli Piceno is the olive all'ascolana which is the local olives stuffed with minced meat and then fried!
The pasta of the area is called maccheroncini di Campofilone which is very thin tagliarini served with ragout.
Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi is the best known wine of the Marches. For the red wine, Rosso Piceno Superiore and Le strade del Rosso Conero are quite good.
- Pros:Compelling Beauty, Enticing Food/Wine, & Historic Sites
- In a nutshell:Green foothills, historic towns, Adriatic Sea, & craggy Apennines
The Le Marche is an area where ancient crafts are still practised in artisans' worshops. Since this area is based on the... more travel advice
We certainly saw plenty of out-of-the-way places while visiting the Le Marche. We became very intimate with the... more travel advice
- Rentaing a Car is Best for Le Marche
- See All Fresh Seafood at Its Best in Sirolo
- The Marche: Where Italy's Name Was...
deecat's Related Pages
Marche Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Marche: charming gem in middle Italy :)"
- "Castles/Palaces, Sea/Mountains, & Food/Wine..."
- "Just wander and lose yourself"
- "Ancona & Co."
- "xaver's new Marche Page"
- "Our little secret"
- "Le Marche Region"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marche
- Hotels in Marche
- Transportation in Marche
- Nightlife in Marche
- Restaurants in Marche
- Shopping in Marche
- Warnings and Dangers in Marche
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Marche
- 61 Reviews
- 220 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Marche?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marche
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- updated a Marche Travel Page "Castles/Palaces, Sea/Mountains, & Food/Wine..."
- Commented on one of Trekki's Marche travel pages
- Wrote a Review Ancient Crafts Still Practised in Marche Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Nightlife in the Marches"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (90)
Top Marche hotels
- Ancona Hotels
- 124 Reviews - 358 Photos
- Urbino Hotels
- 54 Reviews - 152 Photos
- Fano Hotels
- 21 Reviews - 47 Photos
- Sirolo Hotels
- 16 Reviews - 74 Photos
- Pesaro Hotels
- 36 Reviews - 48 Photos
- Ascoli Piceno Hotels
- 53 Reviews - 132 Photos
- Gradara Hotels
- 2 Hotels
- Grottammare Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 8 Photos
- Senigallia Hotels
- 13 Reviews - 68 Photos
- San Benedetto del Tronto Hotels
- 39 Reviews - 80 Photos
- Porto Recanati Hotels
- 24 Reviews - 50 Photos
- Recanati Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 9 Photos
- Numana Hotels
- 11 Hotels
- Macerata Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 24 Photos
- Loreto Hotels
- 1 Review - 5 Photos