"Ascoli Piceno: Architecture, Handicrafts, Gastromy" Top 5 Page for this destination Ascoli Piceno by deecat

Ascoli Piceno Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 132 photos

Known as "The Travertine City"

In October of 2006, the small city of Ascoli Piceno, population of about 50,000, was our first stop while on our 4th visit to Italy. This time we were visiting the Le Marche (La Mar kay) region, and Ascoli (as it is affectionately called) is located in the southern portion of Le Marche.

We drove our rental car from Rome's airport. It took us three and one half hours, and when we arrived, we were having difficulty finding the correct parking lot. We stopped near a goup of young men; I went up to them and excused myself, asking for assistance. They could not have been kinder. Two of them told us to follow them; they got into their own car and showed us the way...amazing!

Allan and I always stay in the ancient center of Italian towns, and in Ascoli, we delighted in the fact that it is a town built of travertine (so is Rome), and its central Piazza del Popolo is a beautiful piazza indeed This piazza is a real "town square" where we saw many families pushing babies in beautiful buggies, children riding bikes and kicking a soccer ball, and lovers strolling hand-in-hand.

Ascoli Piceno is a beautiful city, but in a "working man's" sort of way. While we were there, the travertine pavement was shining in the bright sunlight, and I especially admired the low brick arcades that surround this unique square. Once we walked out of the old city center, we noted that the Tronto and the Castellano rivers embrace this city on three sides. There, too, we viewed historic walls, gates, and bridges.

City of Towers

Similar to San Gimignano in Tuscany, Ascoli Picano boasts of many medieval towers. At one time, there were over 200 towers. Today, fortunately, there are still about 50 (many are attached to a church or other structure.)

We did not see all 50 of the towers. However, we did see several, and I was impressed.

City of Graffiti

One of the biggest disappointments for me personally was to see numerous examples of graffti on the walls of ancient structures in this historic city. I took this photo to emphasize my concern. This photo shows but one example of hundreds that we viewed. I don't know the reason why people find it necessary to vandalize (that is what I consider graffiti) ;however, I do know that I hated seeing it.b

• Pros:Culture, Food, Architecture
  • Cons:Marred walls from vandals
  • In a nutshell:Historic city with unique architecture and delicious food
  • Last visit to Ascoli Piceno: Oct 2006
  • Intro Updated Nov 1, 2006

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2014 at 2:16 AM

It seems a nice place to spend some days.

Ciao!

• jillzi's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2010 at 11:53 AM

So brave to "wing it" about the hotels. But, it worked out so well. The Anisetti Meletti and the cafe sound sensational. Great food, especially the fried olives. Yum. Like the look of the buildings, too.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Your pages are such a delight Dee! You put so much thought and care with all your lovely tips. I so enjoy your lovely photo's too and the wonderful sunny smiles you share with your hubby!

• Jul 28, 2010 at 12:21 PM

My, my..what a find. Wow, this is sensational. Great food, architecture, fountain, gardens, people, car park, post office, and internet spot. Looks like you loved it. Liquer sounds wonderful.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2010 at 10:13 PM

So historical! What a great find your Hotel was, and I think it is really nice when they mark the map for you, certainly makes life more easy for the Tourist! Good tip on the P.O. too!

• hopang's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Ascoli Piceno is certainly an excellent travel destination with lots of great architectural buildings. Piazzas Arringo, Del Popolo and dei Capitani certainly sound wonderful to visit and explore. Thanks for sharing with amazing photographs. ~ho & pang

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Yet another lovely slice of Italy to explore with you! I loved the Piazza Del Popolo & Palazzo dei Capitani in particular. Those olives sound so delicious, as does the anisette and that special dinner :-) Excellent practical tips eg car park & post office

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2009 at 8:14 AM

>>> When will I pay a visit to the Picturesque Italy, I wonder?.... Thanks for your great story!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Hi Dee/ your restaurant tip was just featured on the front page of VT... thought I'd pop in to get even hungrier. time for lunch.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2009 at 12:36 PM

hey, what a great page my fine friend

deecat

Badges & Stats in Ascoli Piceno

Have you been to Ascoli Piceno?