"Ascoli Piceno: Architecture, Handicrafts, Gastromy" Top 5 Page for this destination Ascoli Piceno by deecat
Ascoli Piceno Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 132 photos
In October of 2006, the small city of Ascoli Piceno, population of about 50,000, was our first stop while on our 4th visit to Italy. This time we were visiting the Le Marche (La Mar kay) region, and Ascoli (as it is affectionately called) is located in the southern portion of Le Marche.
We drove our rental car from Rome's airport. It took us three and one half hours, and when we arrived, we were having difficulty finding the correct parking lot. We stopped near a goup of young men; I went up to them and excused myself, asking for assistance. They could not have been kinder. Two of them told us to follow them; they got into their own car and showed us the way...amazing!
Allan and I always stay in the ancient center of Italian towns, and in Ascoli, we delighted in the fact that it is a town built of travertine (so is Rome), and its central Piazza del Popolo is a beautiful piazza indeed This piazza is a real "town square" where we saw many families pushing babies in beautiful buggies, children riding bikes and kicking a soccer ball, and lovers strolling hand-in-hand.
Ascoli Piceno is a beautiful city, but in a "working man's" sort of way. While we were there, the travertine pavement was shining in the bright sunlight, and I especially admired the low brick arcades that surround this unique square. Once we walked out of the old city center, we noted that the Tronto and the Castellano rivers embrace this city on three sides. There, too, we viewed historic walls, gates, and bridges.
Similar to San Gimignano in Tuscany, Ascoli Picano boasts of many medieval towers. At one time, there were over 200 towers. Today, fortunately, there are still about 50 (many are attached to a church or other structure.)
We did not see all 50 of the towers. However, we did see several, and I was impressed.
One of the biggest disappointments for me personally was to see numerous examples of graffti on the walls of ancient structures in this historic city. I took this photo to emphasize my concern. This photo shows but one example of hundreds that we viewed. I don't know the reason why people find it necessary to vandalize (that is what I consider graffiti) ;however, I do know that I hated seeing it.b
- Pros:Culture, Food, Architecture
- Cons:Marred walls from vandals
- In a nutshell:Historic city with unique architecture and delicious food
Allan and I have found that when we visit a town in Italy, we always check out the location of the Post Office. Yes, I... more travel advice
While wandering around Ascoli Piceno, Allan and I literally "stumbled" upon what is known as The Public Gardens. To be... more travel advice
- Food and Wine of Ascoli Piceno
- Easy Access Parking in Ascoli Piceno
- Great Post Cards, books, and an...
deecat's Related Pages
Ascoli Piceno Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ascoli Piceno: Architecture, Handicrafts, Gastromy"
- "The world's best restaurant"
- "Undiscovered Little Jewel"
- "Ascoli Piceno"
- "ASCOLI PICENO"
- "Ascoli Piceno"
- "ASCOLI PICENO !!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ascoli Piceno
- Hotels in Ascoli Piceno
- Transportation in Ascoli Piceno
- Nightlife in Ascoli Piceno
- Restaurants in Ascoli Piceno
- Shopping in Ascoli Piceno
- Warnings and Dangers in Ascoli Piceno
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ascoli Piceno
- 19 Reviews
- 68 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 47 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Ascoli Piceno?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ascoli Piceno
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- updated a Ascoli Piceno Travel Page "Ascoli Piceno: Architecture, Handicrafts, Gastromy"
- Wrote a Review Post Office is Best Place to... in Ascoli Piceno Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Post Office is Best Place to..."
- Commented on one of Daja123's Ascoli Piceno travel pages
Photos in Ascoli PicenoSee All Photos (68)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos