"A Hidden Jewel Near Venice" Top 5 Page for this destination Asolo by deecat
Asolo Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 64 photos
Asolo is located in the foothills of the Dolomites northwest of Venice.
On the hillside above the town, the occo (fortress) dominates. This is a tiny, walled town with quaint streets which are lined with elegant shops; there are abundant gardens, castle ruins, an ancient cathedral, old workshops, numerous antique markets (antique dealers come to Asolo the second weekend of every month except July and August), the old "Tessoria Asolan" where precious silk fabrics are produced with ancient looms, a famous old embroidery school, and Fontana Maggiore (Grand Fountain).
Famous people have been drawn to Asolo because of its climate, location, and beauty. Robert Browning, the poet, is perhaps the most famous person who built a house and lived here. He also wrote the famed "Asolando" book of poems.
This is a serene place where the architecture of porticos, Gothic arcades, mullioned and trefoiled windows, lovely balconies, and old buildings and houses with facades decorated with frescos all add to its magic.
- Pros:Small, beautiful, appears "untouched", historical, elegant
- Cons:Only one: Fortress only open on weekends and holidays
- In a nutshell:A small, medieval town of "untouched" beauty!
On one of our long walks in Asolo, we took the Rialta di Santa Anna, which took us to the Church and Convent of the... more travel advice
No matter who we asked in Asolo, they all recommended the same place to eat...Ristorante Due Mori. Its location is... more travel advice
deecat's Related Pages
Asolo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Hidden Jewel Near Venice"
- "Asolo, A quick GET AWAY from city life"
- "Town of solitude"
- "Asolo:the love of D'Annunzio and Eleonora Duse"
- "if you are escaping from Venice..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Asolo
- Hotels in Asolo
- Transportation in Asolo
- Restaurants in Asolo
- Shopping in Asolo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Asolo
- 12 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 66 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Asolo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Asolo
Photos in AsoloSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos