"Bountiful Barga" Top 5 Page for this destination Barga by deecat

Barga Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 66 photos

Magnificent Medieval Barga

The ancient town of Barga is situated in the valley of the river Serchio on the edge of the Garfagnana Region.

The original historical center of town still remains. The old houses are gathered around the dominant cathedral dating back to before the year 1000. The town seems protected by its surrounding walls.

This entire valley is situated between the green Apennines and the rockier Apuan chain (with its marble quarries).

The area is famous for the nearby Wind Cave in the Apuane range and the Nature Park of the Orecchiella.

I've read that Barga hosts traditional folkloric and musical events such as Opera Barga and Barga Jazz.

It's close toLucca and Pisa.

Barga "LIFTED" me!

The visual is from the brochure from the Alpino restaurant/hotel. Click to see clearly.

While in Tuscany near the Garfagnana Region, we stayed in Barga at the 100+ year old ALBERGO ALPINO HOTEL in the center of the village.

It had been completely refurbished. There are 7 rooms and 2 suites, a dining room, and an excellent wine cellar. I found out about that wine cellar. I was on the "lift" going up to our room when it started to make funny noises and came to a halt. I pushed the phone button, but the owner does not speak English.

Finally, through a translator, I was told to pry open the door with my hands. As they slowly edged me down to the cellar, I could feel the cold from the wine cellar. I was relieved to feel the cool air on my flushed cheeks.

Was I frightened? YES. I laugh now, but it was not funny then.

More Barga & Area

On the way to Barga, we passed The Ponte Della Maddena (Devil's Bridge). There is a red spot on the bridge; that's me, which gives you an idea of the size of the bridge.

The locals seemed very superstitious about this bridge; I, on the other hand, was fascinated with the age and size of this magnificent structure.

The lower picture is of Allan with his back to the town of Barga below.

• Pros:Natural beauty and quaint village
  • Cons:Getting stuck in the "Lift" of the hotel
  • In a nutshell:Timeless Beauty
  • Last visit to Barga: May 2001
  • Intro Updated May 2, 2005

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2010 at 7:11 AM

Barga's Duomo painting is spectacular! Such lovely landscapes is wonderful. I always enjoy your delightful adventures.

• Aug 24, 2010 at 11:07 AM

I smiled, but I'm sure that you did not find it funny. What a story about the lift! Never know when you will find adventure, do you? Seems like a lovely little spot.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Hello, Dee! I enjoy viewing those landscapes... Thanks for your page!....

• jillzi's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Quite an experience you had on that lift. Sounds like a place I would enjoy. This area is really quite beautiful, and it's obvious that you appreciate the beauty of small villages in Italy.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2009 at 6:28 AM

new place on me, thanks for the pleasant diversion !

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Mhhh, more dishes.... I can't wait until I will have my real Italian dishes again. And markets :-) Lovely little village this sounds like :-)

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2009 at 9:06 AM

Fantastic comments and detail is the ultimate. It helped us when we got here. Thanks

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Dee, lovely little page about Barga. Although I have been to the Tuscany a few times I must admit that I have never heard of Barga.

• Dec 12, 2008 at 10:20 AM

Another excellent page of you DEE

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2008 at 5:11 AM

A lovely Tuscan gem. Great hotel and restaurant tip. Also thanks Dee for visiting my Bad Wimpfen, Germany page. Now that was a German gem. Lori.

deecat