"Bountiful Barga" Top 5 Page for this destination Barga by deecat
Barga Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 66 photos
The ancient town of Barga is situated in the valley of the river Serchio on the edge of the Garfagnana Region.
The original historical center of town still remains. The old houses are gathered around the dominant cathedral dating back to before the year 1000. The town seems protected by its surrounding walls.
This entire valley is situated between the green Apennines and the rockier Apuan chain (with its marble quarries).
The area is famous for the nearby Wind Cave in the Apuane range and the Nature Park of the Orecchiella.
I've read that Barga hosts traditional folkloric and musical events such as Opera Barga and Barga Jazz.
It's close toLucca and Pisa.
The visual is from the brochure from the Alpino restaurant/hotel. Click to see clearly.
While in Tuscany near the Garfagnana Region, we stayed in Barga at the 100+ year old ALBERGO ALPINO HOTEL in the center of the village.
It had been completely refurbished. There are 7 rooms and 2 suites, a dining room, and an excellent wine cellar. I found out about that wine cellar. I was on the "lift" going up to our room when it started to make funny noises and came to a halt. I pushed the phone button, but the owner does not speak English.
Finally, through a translator, I was told to pry open the door with my hands. As they slowly edged me down to the cellar, I could feel the cold from the wine cellar. I was relieved to feel the cool air on my flushed cheeks.
Was I frightened? YES. I laugh now, but it was not funny then.
On the way to Barga, we passed The Ponte Della Maddena (Devil's Bridge). There is a red spot on the bridge; that's me, which gives you an idea of the size of the bridge.
The locals seemed very superstitious about this bridge; I, on the other hand, was fascinated with the age and size of this magnificent structure.
The lower picture is of Allan with his back to the town of Barga below.
- Pros:Natural beauty and quaint village
- Cons:Getting stuck in the "Lift" of the hotel
- In a nutshell:Timeless Beauty
We were surprised at how sophisticated the shops in Barga were...not "trinkets" or tourist gimmicks; rather, nice shops... more travel advice
In the Storico Center of Barga way up this steep hill, the Duomo is located. This church is one of the oldest. It's a... more travel advice
deecat's Related Pages
Barga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Working Village"
- "Bountiful Barga"
- "Bella Barga!"
- "A place to live in"
- "The View From Barga!"
- "Sidetrip to Barga"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barga
- Hotels in Barga
- Transportation in Barga
- Restaurants in Barga
- Shopping in Barga
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barga
- 6 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 43 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Barga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barga
Photos in BargaSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos