"University Town: Camerino" Camerino by deecat
Camerino Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 20 photos
Camerino is set in the heart of a mountainous zone in the Province of Macerata. (in the Le Marche)
Located on a hill, it dominates the Camerino basin (bordered on the south by the Sibylline Mountains and to the north by Mount San Vicino)!
Camerino is just a few miles from the Sibylline Mountains National Park.
The town is on a ridge between 2 river valleys and is on the border between central Marche and Umbria.
They say that the old center has seen few changes over the last few centuries; thus, the architecture is quite impressive. Most of the town was built during the rule of the Da Varano family between the 14th and 16th centuries.
We had a difficult time finding Camerino, but finally, a kind elderly man pointed us in the right direction.
It's obvious that it is a University city, even though its population is only about 7,000.
We parked our car in the car park in Palazzo delle Esposte, which is located by the lovely park. After visiting the park, we walked to the ancient center to find a hotel. We found a two-star hotel in the main Piazza Cavour for 50Euro!
I noticed immediately that light brick was often used on the living quarters. The photo here was taken from our room at the hotel. It's a living quarters in the Piazza, and if you look carefully, you'll see the lovely mountains between buildings. Note, too, the tile roofs, the small balconies, and the European blinds.
- Pros:Great location, Interesting Architecture, Good Prices
- In a nutshell:A "gem" of a university town in the heart of the mountains
There are plenty of things to keep one busy in Camerino. If you are here on May 18th, you can see the celebrations in... more travel advice
Be sure to see the "hidden photographs" Because we had eaten a large lunch in Tolentino, we were not hungry enough to... more travel advice
deecat's Related Pages
Camerino Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Camerino
- 4 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Camerino?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Camerino
Photos in CamerinoSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos