"Origins Wrapped in Mystery: Ferrara" Ferrara by deecat
Ferrara Travel Guide: 327 reviews and 835 photos
Even though Ferrara's origins are wrapped in mystery, they know that its name is first mentioned in a document dating to 753 A.D. Many years later, the Este family took advantage of a confused situation (fierce internal struggles between two powerful factions) and took control of the city.
The University was founded in 1391, and afterward, culture and art grew unceasingly until they reached the level of the most important European courts. All the best musicians of the time worked for the Dukes of Ferrara.
Ferrara is a prosperous market town on the banks of the Po River. At first glance it appears to be peaceful and provincial, there is a colorful history and many splendid treasures here. Ferrara has it all: an Universtiy, art galore, medieval walls, huge castle with moats, towers, and battlements in the town center, Romanesque-Gothic Duomo, Beautiful Palaces, huge Market Day, and numerous incredible shopping areas .
We fell in love with this city after being here for only a few hours. Ferrara is so alive! There is something to do, somewhere to go, something to eat, something to admire at all times AND it is almost car free!
Bicycles abound. The architecture is unique and varied. The people are friendly and accommodating.
The influence of the D'Este Family Dynasty is evident. The d'Este court attracted many writers such as Petrarch as well as painters such as Titian. Because of this powerful family's influence, Ferrara became one of Europe's finest Renaissance cities.5s*
While out walking in Ferrara one day, Allan and I came across a young man walking his pet, a pig.
The pig is wearing a warm coat and sniffing the ground. The pig was adorable, so I asked to take a photograph. The young man was quite pleased that we wished to do so. I was so used to seeing little "yappy" dogs that I was shocked to see the pig.
- Pros:Cultural, artistic, historic, vibrant, friendly
- In a nutshell:Medieval City With a Contemporary Flair!
We discovered, by chance, a lovely local spot to eat called Trattoria La Zirudela. It is run by a family, and brothers... more travel advice
The 2nd day in Ferrara was a Monday; luckey for us, Monday is market day in Ferrara. When they have market day, it is a... more travel advice
- So Many Monuments, Palazzoes, and...
- See All History and Custom Merge with Cuisine
- See All War Hero Memorial in Ferrara
deecat's Related Pages
Ferrara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Medieval town of Ferrara"
- "Ferrara - charming, medieval city"
- "My second town"
- "Origins Wrapped in Mystery: Ferrara"
- "Ferrara, town of Estense's Family"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ferrara
- Hotels in Ferrara
- Transportation in Ferrara
- Nightlife in Ferrara
- Restaurants in Ferrara
- Shopping in Ferrara
- Warnings and Dangers in Ferrara
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ferrara
- 14 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 69 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Ferrara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ferrara
Photos in FerraraSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (90)
Latest Ferrara hotel reviews
- Hotel De La Ville Ferrara
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 25, 2013
- Il Bagattino
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 29, 2013
- Orologio Hotel Ferrara
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 15, 2013
- Hotel Ferrara
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 7, 2013
- Hotel Ripagrande
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 12, 2013
- Hotel Touring Ferrara
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Hotel Annunziata Ferrara
- 268 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Student's Hostel Estense
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 12, 2013
- Albergo San Romano
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013
- Suite Duomo Hotel
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 12, 2010