"Gaeta--Hidden Jewel Between Rome & Naples" Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta by deecat
Gaeta Travel Guide: 116 reviews and 331 photos
The Historical Center of Gaeta is an active, an authenic, and an ancient portrait of the Italy that I had always heard and read about.
See the new 2006 travelogues, updated tips, and new tips
We returned to Gaeta after nine years to see some of our "old friends" and to revisit this beautiful city. There were some changes, but not many. We returned to one of our favorite restaurants, our favorite bar, our favorite newsstand; we found several new restaurants, a new hotel and a new Bed and Breakfast.
We revisted shops we had used before, and we discovered a new shoe store we had not visited. We found out about rooms to rent, a new fence at the once active American school; we saw a "new" attitude toward attire; however, we still loved being in Gaeta and felt right at home.
This coastal area where Gaeta is located is also called the Ulysses' Coast. It is pivoted on Gaeta's Gulf, and the entire Ulysses' Coast has a surface of 450 square Km. It's 60 Km. coastal stretch is made up of fine sandy beaches with the Aurunci Mountains that overlook the sea. What a sight it is!
The local people are quite friendly, always helpful, and enormously
generous. Additionally, they love life & live it to the fullest
The photograph on this page is of one of the locals (in my mind, I always refer to him as "the Bird Man") He came every day to the Gaeta Pier to fix the birds who, unfortunately, would become wrapped up in fishing line. The "Bird Man"had such a way with the birds; they were not afraid of him.
The outdoor market, as well as the many bakeries, and the local meat markets all make cooking meals a real pleasure.
For two months we rented an apartment, & I shopped for fresh supplies each day. As a result, I made friends with the Produce Man, the owners of the small grocery store across the way, and the bread shop Owners down the street. But, the people I saw most often were the Young Couple who owned the Cappuccino Bar on the bottom floor of our apartment building.
My daily ritual was to go to the bar (I was one of the only women that early each morning) & order my cappuccino,( the biggest and best I've had before or since.) Then, I would walk across the street to purchase The International Herald Tribune (an English language paper), buy some fruits & vegetables, bread, fresh OJ & milk before going up 3 flights to the apartment for a delicious breakfast.
After cleaning the apartment, my husband & I would go out to explore--and there is plenty to explore in Gaeta. When siesta time arrived, we did what the natives did--we went to sleep. After our nap, (about 4:00 PM), we would go out again to explore some more.
When we did eat out (at least once a week), it was another adventure lasting two to three hours. There are many places (of all price ranges) to choose from...we really did not have a bad meal in the two months in Gaeta.
The picture on the left shows children playing in the small park in the center of ancient Gaeta. The picture on the right shows children playing in front of a house.
We loved seeing the children, and we tried to snap a photograph of them whenever possible.
Staying in Gaeta for two months gave us opportunities to mingle with the locals and see their customs, traditions, and everyday behavior.
It seems that the entire town helps to raise the children. If someone goes by with a child, he/she can hardly take a step without another person stopping to talk to the child or "chuck" him/her under the chin.
It's a lovely way of life
View from our apartment in Gaeta of Palm Sunday procession.
Girl in costume playing a violin, celebrating on April 25 which is Liberation Day when the Italians were released from Nazi rule.
It was fun being in Italy when the locals celebrated their Holidays. And, the Italians know how to celebrate. Family and Food are the main components in Holiday Celebrations.
BE SURE TO CLICK TO ENLARGE
- Pros:Friendly people, great restaurants, ancient architecture
- In a nutshell:Great place to visit; great place to live!
When we left Gaeta to go to the airport in Rome, we took the route along the Riviera d'Ulisse and Parco Nazionale del... more travel advice
Talking about the Walls of Gaeta is really a misnomer because they have been almost totally distroyed throughout the... more travel advice
- See All The Separation of Gaeta and Borgo
- See All My All-Time Favorite Spot in Gaeta
- See All What a Terrific Location
deecat's Related Pages
Gaeta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gaeta--Hidden Jewel Between Rome & Naples"
- "Gaeta and two Mausoleums"
- "Gaeta, the Italian beach resort"
- "Gaeta & The Love of my Life"
- "SUMMER TIME IN GAETA"
- "Gaeta in South Lazio"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gaeta
- Hotels in Gaeta
- Transportation in Gaeta
- Nightlife in Gaeta
- Restaurants in Gaeta
- Shopping in Gaeta
- Warnings and Dangers in Gaeta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gaeta
- 53 Reviews
- 191 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 86 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Gaeta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gaeta
- Commented on one of NonnaLou's Gaeta travel pages
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- Wrote a Review Riviera d'Ulisse and Parco Nazionale del Circeo in Gaeta Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Riviera d'Ulisse and Parco Nazionale del Circeo"
- updated a Gaeta Travelogue "The Cats of Gaeta"
Photos in GaetaSee All Photos (191)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos