"Gaeta--Hidden Jewel Between Rome & Naples" Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta by deecat

Gaeta Travel Guide: 116 reviews and 331 photos

Gaeta: Glorious Scenery, Gracious People

The Historical Center of Gaeta is an active, an authenic, and an ancient portrait of the Italy that I had always heard and read about.

See the new 2006 travelogues, updated tips, and new tips

We returned to Gaeta after nine years to see some of our "old friends" and to revisit this beautiful city. There were some changes, but not many. We returned to one of our favorite restaurants, our favorite bar, our favorite newsstand; we found several new restaurants, a new hotel and a new Bed and Breakfast.

We revisted shops we had used before, and we discovered a new shoe store we had not visited. We found out about rooms to rent, a new fence at the once active American school; we saw a "new" attitude toward attire; however, we still loved being in Gaeta and felt right at home.

[1997]
This coastal area where Gaeta is located is also called the Ulysses' Coast. It is pivoted on Gaeta's Gulf, and the entire Ulysses' Coast has a surface of 450 square Km. It's 60 Km. coastal stretch is made up of fine sandy beaches with the Aurunci Mountains that overlook the sea. What a sight it is!

The local people are quite friendly, always helpful, and enormously
generous. Additionally, they love life & live it to the fullest

The photograph on this page is of one of the locals (in my mind, I always refer to him as "the Bird Man") He came every day to the Gaeta Pier to fix the birds who, unfortunately, would become wrapped up in fishing line. The "Bird Man"had such a way with the birds; they were not afraid of him.

The outdoor market, as well as the many bakeries, and the local meat markets all make cooking meals a real pleasure.

For two months we rented an apartment, & I shopped for fresh supplies each day. As a result, I made friends with the Produce Man, the owners of the small grocery store across the way, and the bread shop Owners down the street. But, the people I saw most often were the Young Couple who owned the Cappuccino Bar on the bottom floor of our apartment building.

My daily ritual was to go to the bar (I was one of the only women that early each morning) & order my cappuccino,( the biggest and best I've had before or since.) Then, I would walk across the street to purchase The International Herald Tribune (an English language paper), buy some fruits & vegetables, bread, fresh OJ & milk before going up 3 flights to the apartment for a delicious breakfast.

After cleaning the apartment, my husband & I would go out to explore--and there is plenty to explore in Gaeta. When siesta time arrived, we did what the natives did--we went to sleep. After our nap, (about 4:00 PM), we would go out again to explore some more.

When we did eat out (at least once a week), it was another adventure lasting two to three hours. There are many places (of all price ranges) to choose from...we really did not have a bad meal in the two months in Gaeta.

GAETA'S CHILDREN

The picture on the left shows children playing in the small park in the center of ancient Gaeta. The picture on the right shows children playing in front of a house.

We loved seeing the children, and we tried to snap a photograph of them whenever possible.

Staying in Gaeta for two months gave us opportunities to mingle with the locals and see their customs, traditions, and everyday behavior.

It seems that the entire town helps to raise the children. If someone goes by with a child, he/she can hardly take a step without another person stopping to talk to the child or "chuck" him/her under the chin.

It's a lovely way of life

Spending Holidays in Gaeta

Left:

View from our apartment in Gaeta of Palm Sunday procession.

Right:

Girl in costume playing a violin, celebrating on April 25 which is Liberation Day when the Italians were released from Nazi rule.

It was fun being in Italy when the locals celebrated their Holidays. And, the Italians know how to celebrate. Family and Food are the main components in Holiday Celebrations.

BE SURE TO CLICK TO ENLARGE

• Pros:Friendly people, great restaurants, ancient architecture
  • Cons:none
  • In a nutshell:Great place to visit; great place to live!
  • Last visit to Gaeta: Oct 2006
  • Intro Updated Nov 15, 2006

• starship's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Nice page, Dee! You have some great memories of Gaeta and your delight in this town shines through. (Looks like the new VT has some serious glitches as some of your info. was repeated twice in tips.) I'm not fond of the new VT!

• rozehill's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2011 at 4:54 AM

Now that i have visited Gaeta i realise how gorgeous it is...and seeing your photos remind me of this enchanting destination.

• jillzi's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Seeing Rosie's photos, thought I'd take a look at yours. Looks as though you "left your heart in Gaeta". It seems so special to you and Allan. Spectacular. So glad you could return and look up "old" friends. Photographs are enchanting.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2010 at 2:21 AM

Dee, gorgeous page with outstanding photos, especially in the "Things to do section". I should keep Gaeta in mind for my next trip to Italy.

• MissyWQ's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2010 at 5:50 PM

You love to eat, I see.

• May 27, 2010 at 12:22 PM

So good you could visit twice. The hotel tips are so good. The people seem genuine, friendly, and memoriable. Bavo! Super infomation and an obvious love of Gaeta.

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2010 at 7:01 AM

Monte Orlando and its view lloks great. Superb page here. Bora

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2010 at 1:54 AM

Hi Dee, wishing you happy travels for 2010. Thanks for lovely tips & photo's ;-)

• Jan 14, 2010 at 7:42 PM

My husband & I lived in Gaeta from 1973-76 when he was stationed aboard the USS Little Rock. Your page is amazing! We are planning a return trip to Gaeta this spring, and your informative page beats any guide book one could buy! Thank you. Val & Jack

• Nov 18, 2009 at 5:09 PM

I was station on the USS Albany (CG-10) back in 1978-1980; lots of memories of Vic's. Thanks, Joe Thomas

deecat