"City Full Of Art, Churches, Palazzos, and Lakes" Top 5 Page for this destination Mantova by deecat
Mantova Travel Guide: 107 reviews and 308 photos
When I taught "Romeo and Juliet", I recall that Shakespeare refers to Romeo being banished to "Mantua", and in the city itself, and all the pamphlets here in Italy refer to it in English as "Mantua", but on the Maps and in several books and on this site, it is called "Mantova".
Both are correct.
Regardless, it is a fantastic city with something for everyone...three lakes: Lake Superior, Lake of Mezzo; Lake Inferior, Twelve or more churches: One Basilica, One Duomo, One Rotonda, Seven Palazzos: two most important ones are PalazzoTe and Ducal Palace, several parks: the largest with the Monument to Virgil as its centerpiece, and wonderful piazzas: Piazza Sordello, Piazza Erbe, Piazza Mantegna, and Piazza Marconi%c* being the most famous.
Mantova (Mantua) is an ancient city with wonderful architecture, fine shops, and interesting sites.
- Pros:Architecture, art, Palaces, Churches, Parks, Lakes
- Cons:Graffiti mars many of the priceless monuments!
- In a nutshell:A charming cultural, historical city
Many foods are made in or around Mantova. One that we purchased is called "Sbrisolona", a cake made in Mantova. Now it... more travel advice
The host at our hotel suggested this local Osteria and drew a map for us to find it. It is in a location that a tourist... more travel advice
deecat's Related Pages
Mantova Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "City Full Of Art, Churches, Palazzos, and Lakes"
- "Mantova: a little lost paradise"
- "Surrounded with three lakes"
- "Mantova and Mantegna"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mantova
- Hotels in Mantova
- Transportation in Mantova
- Nightlife in Mantova
- Restaurants in Mantova
- Shopping in Mantova
- See All...
Explore the World
- Lago di Santa Croce Hotels
- Mo i Rana
- Crete Island
- Magnetic Island
- West Palm Beach Hotels
- Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge Hotels
- Baguio City
- Sevilla Hotels
- Departamento de Islas de la Bahía
- Mexico City
- Kaiserebersdorf Hotels
- Cooperstown Hotels
Badges & Stats in Mantova
- 14 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 64 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Mantova?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mantova
Photos in MantovaSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (90)
Latest Mantova hotel reviews
- Albergo San Lorenzo
- 2 Reviews & Opinions