"Tolentino: Thriving Medieval Town" Tolentino by deecat
Tolentino Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 34 photos
Many Italians journey to Tolentino to visit the shrine of St. Nicholas of Tolentino. Here there is a Basilica with marvelous Giottoesque frescoes which are worth a visit. They also visit the Romanesque cloister alongside the church.
Historically speaking, Tolentino is where in 1797 Napoleon Bonaparte forced Pope Pius VI to sign the Peace of Tolentino. This happened after his successful invasion of the Papal States.
Other visitors come to Tolentino to see the multiple clock faces on the Medieval clock tower.
Enthusiastic lovers of humor journey here to see the relatively new International Museum of Caricature and Humour in Art.
There are those who visit this Chienti Valley town to see the Castello della Rancia located along the main road. The castle was built as a Benedictine abbey in the 12th century. Each May, the battle against the King of Naples in 1815 is re-enacted in a huge event that uses hundreds of people.
We only spent about three hours here, including our lunch. But, we managed to see several interesting sites.
- Pros:Great Architecture, History, Religious Shrine
- Cons:Lots of traffic
- In a nutshell:Worth a visit but not a favorite of Mine
know very little about this Museum because it was closed. However, I was told that it has beautiful CERAMICS. I was... more travel advice
I always enjoy architecture of each new place we visit. Tolentino is a maze of narrow cobbled streets with... more travel advice
deecat's Related Pages
Tolentino Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Tolentino
- 8 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 30 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Tolentino?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tolentino
Photos in TolentinoSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos