"One of the Reasons We Came to the Le Marche" Top 5 Page for this destination Urbino by deecat

Urbino Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 152 photos

Centro Storico:UNESCO List of World Heritage Sites

Known as The City of Art, Urbino was the busiest city that we visited. It was so busy that we could not find anywhere to stay. All the hotels, pensiones, rooms, hostels, etc. were booked.

The entire city that lies within the walls dates from the 15th and 16th Centuries. I loved the maze of pink-bricked streets and alleys. I also admired the sandstone gate, the steep (really steep) streets, and the Botanical Garden.

This Renaissance city is a walled city that is noteworthy for its Palazzo Ducale. This palace was built for Duke Federico da Montefeltro, a true Renaissance man. I would have loved to have known him. I admire his love of books, art, and his fairness as a leader.

This city is famous for the majolica ceramics, metals, fabrics, antiques, artistic heritage conservation, art prints, and book restoration.

There is much to do in this University City:
Palazzo Ducale
The Cathedral
Oratory of San Giovanni (superior cycle of frescoes)
Church of San Bernardino degli Zoccolanti
Convent of Santa Chiara

When we visited, the city was jam-packed with teen-agers and young adults. There was some kind of concert, and the young ones were here to celebrate.

The only time in our four visits to Italy that we ever ran into rude behavior was here in Urbino at the Information Center. The young woman who worked here was crass, rude, and not helpful at all. She acted as though we were wasting her time. That set the mood for Allan and I.

• Pros:A Beautiful, art-filled, architectually lovely Town
  • Cons:Rude Behavior, Inability to Take inside Photographs
  • In a nutshell:The Only Le Marche City that We Did Not Enjoy
  • Last visit to Urbino: Oct 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 9, 2007

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2011 at 5:16 AM

I've just returned after three years for another look at your Urbino tips (now in the new VT format). Good that in the Palazzo Ducal you could see the hydraulic engineering of the Quattrocento in addition to historic rooms and great artwork.

• jillzi's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2010 at 7:41 AM

Beautiful architecture. Too bad that you could not find a place to stay, but from what you say, it did not seem too friendly and way over crowded.

• Aug 24, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Too bad about not being able to stay here, but Disappointments are part of travel, huh? And it all turned out in the end. Some fine architecture here. You've done excellent work.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Hi, Dee! I am sure I would have been awe-struck by the facade and the place myself if I went there... Thanks for your story! ><><><><

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2009 at 6:15 AM

Urbino is a nice town but the rude people at the Tourist Information, the parking problems & the steep street don't sound encouraging. I sometimes ask to be allowed to take a picture or two for VT where photography is banned & have succeeded a few times.

• Oct 20, 2009 at 7:08 AM

excellent work

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2009 at 1:51 AM

Sad that you didn't enjoy Urbino. I found it but didn't find a place to park the car... Maybe next time, but I also don't like it if no photos are allowed inside buildings.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2008 at 1:54 PM

I do so love isolated places = The Cathedral & the Palace really are a must see.

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2008 at 10:20 AM

Hi Dee. Nice little page on Urbino. I'd like to go there by public transportation, but I think too difficult.

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2008 at 7:47 AM

Too bad you didn't enjoy Urbino. But no matter where you go, there always seems to be a place that you don't like, for whatever reason. Part of travel I guess.

deecat