"One of the Reasons We Came to the Le Marche" Top 5 Page for this destination Urbino by deecat
Urbino Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 152 photos
Known as The City of Art, Urbino was the busiest city that we visited. It was so busy that we could not find anywhere to stay. All the hotels, pensiones, rooms, hostels, etc. were booked.
The entire city that lies within the walls dates from the 15th and 16th Centuries. I loved the maze of pink-bricked streets and alleys. I also admired the sandstone gate, the steep (really steep) streets, and the Botanical Garden.
This Renaissance city is a walled city that is noteworthy for its Palazzo Ducale. This palace was built for Duke Federico da Montefeltro, a true Renaissance man. I would have loved to have known him. I admire his love of books, art, and his fairness as a leader.
This city is famous for the majolica ceramics, metals, fabrics, antiques, artistic heritage conservation, art prints, and book restoration.
There is much to do in this University City:
Oratory of San Giovanni (superior cycle of frescoes)
Church of San Bernardino degli Zoccolanti
Convent of Santa Chiara
When we visited, the city was jam-packed with teen-agers and young adults. There was some kind of concert, and the young ones were here to celebrate.
The only time in our four visits to Italy that we ever ran into rude behavior was here in Urbino at the Information Center. The young woman who worked here was crass, rude, and not helpful at all. She acted as though we were wasting her time. That set the mood for Allan and I.
- Pros:A Beautiful, art-filled, architectually lovely Town
- Cons:Rude Behavior, Inability to Take inside Photographs
- In a nutshell:The Only Le Marche City that We Did Not Enjoy
You enter the Palace from the least attractive side and are somewhat disappointed. But, the facade (with its twin... more travel advice
While desperately trying to securing a room in Urbino, we saw many places. I have chosen two that we would have used had... more travel advice
deecat's Related Pages
Urbino Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "It's worth trying to find Urbino"
- "Town made of bricks"
- "One of the Reasons We Came to the Le Marche"
- "Urbino, a brief special visit for a Festa del Duca"
- "August 15, 2010: Festa del Duca"
- "Interesting little Urbino"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Urbino
- Hotels in Urbino
- Transportation in Urbino
- Restaurants in Urbino
- Shopping in Urbino
- Warnings and Dangers in Urbino
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Urbino
- 5 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Urbino?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Urbino
Photos in UrbinoSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos