"Following in the Footsteps of Paul" Top 5 Page for this destination Greece by deecat

Greece Travel Guide: 27,849 reviews and 79,744 photos

The Cradle of Civilization

A year after I retired from teaching English for 30+ years, I joined my sister-in-law, Jayne Glass, on a trip which followed in the footsteps of the disciple Paul.

It was a marvelous trip from March 6 to March 20, 1995. I was awestruck; it was my first trip to Europe;and it was to Greece... fabulous!

I had spent my entire teaching career telling my students about the glories of Greece, and now, I was there!
This is a country that is "steeped" in history; "flush" with tradition; "encircled" with myth.
At times, on this trip, I found myself speechless, almost unable to comprehend such beauty, such architecture, such antiquity.

Even though I started this trip as the outsider, (I was the only one from Illinois and the only one not belonging to the church which sponsored the trip), I felt as though I belonged.

The picture is of the ancient city of Corinth at the Corinth outdoor museum. These are the Dove limestone pillars.

(If you look carefully at the lower left hand corner of the picture, you might see that I am there showing how huge this wall and these pillars actually are.)

Conquering the Majestic Grey Rocks!

This picture shows me in my "Triumphant Stance" because I had just climbed up the Meteora where Pinios river emerges from the deep canyons of the Pindus range and then surges on to the Thessalian plains.

It was a triumphant moment. Of 23 people on our trip, only Jayne and I made it.

Listen to the Locals

While visiting the city of Kavala, we had a free afternoon to roam and to choose a place to eat. We had no idea where to go or what to do.

We were starving, so we decided to ask someone about a place to eat. We asked a local, and the person WALKED US FOR A FEW BLOCKS TO THE SMALL RESTAURANT!

She told us that this is the best place, and it is where the local families always eat out. She was correct. We had the best meal of our entire trip.

It was roast pig with all the trimmings.

The picture is of Jayne at the restaurant. Note the beautiful painting by a local artist.

• Pros:Full of history, art, ruins, momuments, awesome landscapes
  • Cons:Greek Men like blonds and I'm a brunette!
  • In a nutshell:Glorious Antiquity
  • Last visit to Greece: Mar 1995
  • Intro Updated Apr 9, 2007

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Greece has so much to offer, I hope to have the chance to explore more in the future.

• Apr 25, 2011 at 11:31 AM

I usually don't delight in guided tours, but this one looks and sounds special. A ton of helpful information. Your personal views are really interesting. Glad you and Jayne had so much fun.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2010 at 2:50 PM

It is amazing that your trails to follow Paul was so steeped in history and awe, besides your jumping for joy even before Norman promoted the ides to VT. We are thinking of a trip to here, and thanks so much for your great detail

• starship's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Always enjoy reading your excellent tips and feel the joy expressed in your words.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2010 at 8:35 PM

~ Hello, Dee! Your Greece page is great, as well as many others! Thanks for your creative stories.

• jillzi's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2010 at 12:24 PM

What a tour, and what a tour guide you are for the rest of us!A wealth of information. I really enjoyed the Greek mythology parts. Some very clever photos. Great hotels.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Wow! That guard sure was tall! Would have been quite a sight seeing the changing of the guards. So like the sound of the tours through the countryside, past the mountains and old villages, like time had stopped still, so nice in this busy world!

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2010 at 6:05 AM

another great page! drop me a message when you visit other regions next time!

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2010 at 12:18 AM

If the snow is too cold, come back to Greece and stay with me!!! The sun is so beautiful today and the sea is glittering with silvery reflections. It's cold here, but no snow:):) Hugs. Janet

• Sep 24, 2009 at 3:16 AM

Unfortunately, most Greeks very suspicious and hate having their photographs taken by strangers. Even taking a photo of the many stands found all over Athens which are filled with fruits or nuts can send them into a rage.

deecat