"Following in the Footsteps of Paul" Top 5 Page for this destination Greece by deecat
Greece Travel Guide: 27,532 reviews and 80,753 photos
A year after I retired from teaching English for 30+ years, I joined my sister-in-law, Jayne Glass, on a trip which followed in the footsteps of the disciple Paul.
It was a marvelous trip from March 6 to March 20, 1995. I was awestruck; it was my first trip to Europe;and it was to Greece... fabulous!
I had spent my entire teaching career telling my students about the glories of Greece, and now, I was there!
This is a country that is "steeped" in history; "flush" with tradition; "encircled" with myth.
At times, on this trip, I found myself speechless, almost unable to comprehend such beauty, such architecture, such antiquity.
Even though I started this trip as the outsider, (I was the only one from Illinois and the only one not belonging to the church which sponsored the trip), I felt as though I belonged.
The picture is of the ancient city of Corinth at the Corinth outdoor museum. These are the Dove limestone pillars.
(If you look carefully at the lower left hand corner of the picture, you might see that I am there showing how huge this wall and these pillars actually are.)
This picture shows me in my "Triumphant Stance" because I had just climbed up the Meteora where Pinios river emerges from the deep canyons of the Pindus range and then surges on to the Thessalian plains.
It was a triumphant moment. Of 23 people on our trip, only Jayne and I made it.
While visiting the city of Kavala, we had a free afternoon to roam and to choose a place to eat. We had no idea where to go or what to do.
We were starving, so we decided to ask someone about a place to eat. We asked a local, and the person WALKED US FOR A FEW BLOCKS TO THE SMALL RESTAURANT!
She told us that this is the best place, and it is where the local families always eat out. She was correct. We had the best meal of our entire trip.
It was roast pig with all the trimmings.
The picture is of Jayne at the restaurant. Note the beautiful painting by a local artist.
- Pros:Full of history, art, ruins, momuments, awesome landscapes
- Cons:Greek Men like blonds and I'm a brunette!
- In a nutshell:Glorious Antiquity
I was so pleased with the friendliness of the Greek people. They are so gregarious, welcoming, and helpful. Greeks love... more travel advice
Please click photo to the enlarge map I personally don't think that any other nation has contributed as much to world... more travel advice
deecat's Related Pages
Greece Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Greece - Ellada 2008"
- "Greece... as lovely as it seems!"
- "My beloved Greece..."
- "Following in the Footsteps of Paul"
- "FALLING IN LOVE WITH GREECE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Greece
- Hotels in Greece
- Transportation in Greece
- Nightlife in Greece
- Restaurants in Greece
- Shopping in Greece
- Warnings and Dangers in Greece
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Greece
- 45 Reviews
- 77 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Greece?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Greece
- Commented on one of deecat's Greece tips
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- updated a Greece Travelogue "Lindos, Greece Via Darja [Daja123]"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mountain Roads and Mountain Villages"
- Wrote a Review XENOS: Means Both "Stranger" and "Guest" in Greece Local Customs
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos