"Islands of the Bahamas: Freeport/Lucaya" Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Bahama Island by deecat
Grand Bahama Island Travel Guide: 140 reviews and 218 photos
The first time that Allan and I visited the Grand Bahama Island, it was just beginning as a tourist destination. We purchased land at that time (about 1965). About ten years later, we traded "up" in property. In 1993, we sold our land.
That same year, we decided to take a family vacation with our daughter Jill over the Christmas holidays. As soon as school was out for vacation, we started a ten-day adventure at the all-inclusive Fortuna Beach Resort. It was brand new and catered to mostly Italians.
Although it was strange for midwesterners to be in the tropics at Christmas, we certainly enjoyed the change of pace.
Freeport/Lucaya is modern as compared to Nassau. As this photo indicates, you will find long stretches of deserted white beaches. In addition, there are many hotels and resorts, two casinos, an International Shopping Bazaar, world-class scuba diving facilities, and many wonderful golf courses.
Although Grand Bahama Island is not as quaint as Nassau, it is also not as expensive.
In the 1970's, Allan and I owned a piece of property on the Grand Bahama Island. I took this photo of Allan standing on the land that we owned.
CLICK TO ENLARGE PHOTO TO SEE ALLAN
- Pros:Beautiful, uncrowded beaches, Great Food, Good Entertainment
- Cons:Lacks the elegance and "class" of Nassau
- In a nutshell:A Great Place for a Restful Vacation
This last time we were in the Bahamas, Jill and I had an opportunity to view for ourselves the enormous wealth that... more travel advice
I found it refreshing to see the ambition of some of the Bahamian children. Instead of begging for money, candy, etc.,... more travel advice
- Extraordinary Buffet Each Day
- See All Some Facts and History of Grand Bahama...
- See All Garden of the Groves, A Natural Paradise
deecat's Related Pages
Grand Bahama Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Islands of the Bahamas: Freeport/Lucaya"
- "Welcome to Grand Bahama Island"
- "Freeport/Lucaya and Grand Bahama"
- "Fabulous Freeport"
- "Freeport Grand Bahama"
- "Grand Bahama Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grand Bahama Island
- Hotels in Grand Bahama Island
- Transportation in Grand Bahama Island
- Nightlife in Grand Bahama Island
- Restaurants in Grand Bahama Island
- Shopping in Grand Bahama Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Grand Bahama Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grand Bahama Island
- 17 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 87 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Grand Bahama Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grand Bahama Island
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- updated a Grand Bahama Island Travel Page "Islands of the Bahamas: Freeport/Lucaya"
- Wrote a Review Learning About Wealth in the Bahamas in Grand Bahama Island Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Nothing Quite as Exhilarating as Beach Volleyball"
Photos in Grand Bahama IslandSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos