"Islands of the Bahamas: Freeport/Lucaya" Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Bahama Island by deecat

Grand Bahama Island Travel Guide: 140 reviews and 218 photos

Bahama's Second Most Popular Tourist Destination

The first time that Allan and I visited the Grand Bahama Island, it was just beginning as a tourist destination. We purchased land at that time (about 1965). About ten years later, we traded "up" in property. In 1993, we sold our land.

That same year, we decided to take a family vacation with our daughter Jill over the Christmas holidays. As soon as school was out for vacation, we started a ten-day adventure at the all-inclusive Fortuna Beach Resort. It was brand new and catered to mostly Italians.

Although it was strange for midwesterners to be in the tropics at Christmas, we certainly enjoyed the change of pace.

Freeport/Lucaya is modern as compared to Nassau. As this photo indicates, you will find long stretches of deserted white beaches. In addition, there are many hotels and resorts, two casinos, an International Shopping Bazaar, world-class scuba diving facilities, and many wonderful golf courses.

Although Grand Bahama Island is not as quaint as Nassau, it is also not as expensive.

We Once Owned a Piece of the Island!

In the 1970's, Allan and I owned a piece of property on the Grand Bahama Island. I took this photo of Allan standing on the land that we owned.

CLICK TO ENLARGE PHOTO TO SEE ALLAN

• Pros:Beautiful, uncrowded beaches, Great Food, Good Entertainment
  • Cons:Lacks the elegance and "class" of Nassau
  • In a nutshell:A Great Place for a Restful Vacation
  • Last visit to Grand Bahama Island: Dec 1992
  • Intro Updated Apr 27, 2005

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Being able to swim with the dolphins and parasale must have been fantastic. The beach valleyball looks fun and the accomdations look splendid. Another wonderful page Dee!

• jillzi's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2010 at 11:48 AM

What an excellent vacation for the three of you. Looks like Allan was having such fun. What a resort. That is some two piece!

• Jul 28, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Good to see the differences in the visits. Great photo of you in the two piece bathing suit; also, allan in the conga line! [LOL] looks wonderful

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2010 at 5:37 AM

~ Hi, Dee! It's wonderful you could pay a visit.... Thanks for your great page here! ~ ><><><><><><><><><><><

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2010 at 10:58 AM

What a wonderful description of this island with all its history and elegance. I have yearned to get there, but not yet, so thanks for the memory.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Love the old photos especially the one of Dee with your caught fish! Oh wow, this must have been exciting!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2009 at 7:07 AM

An interesting change from your other pages that I've enjoyed, but lovely to get a dose of tropical sunshine right now :-) I've wondered about giving parasailing a go and having read of your adventure I just may try it!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2009 at 8:55 PM

A while back that you visited but your tips still give me an idea of what it's like. That was one huge fish that you caught, all I can say, is lucky that you were strapped in!

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2009 at 8:04 AM

great tips, I have been looking for a lot of time for a place where to swim for dolphins, now you gave an answer to me.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Nice page, Dee! We will be in Freeport & Nassau for only 1 day each for a New Year's cruise. Would love to do some shopping at the International Bazaar!

deecat

Badges & Stats in Grand Bahama Island

Have you been to Grand Bahama Island?