"Hello, Welcome to Old Town Alexandria" Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria by zanzooni

Alexandria Travel Guide: 461 reviews and 1,504 photos

An Old Port City

I love Old Town Alexandria. It's quaintness, it history, its artistic funk. It's an independent city of the Commonwealth of Virgina, the first settlement founded in 1695. They called themselves the "British Colony of Virginia" and their where-with-all was based on tobacco and flour trade from the flour mill up river on the Occoquan, to the West Indies.

• Pros:A good city to walk around in
  • Cons:Street parking is a nightmare.
  • In a nutshell:Historical, but very urban funky.
  • Last visit to Alexandria: Aug 2009
  • Intro Updated Oct 6, 2009

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Now YOU'RE being crazy! Its all shiny for a reason, you know!! Gillybob greetings

• windoweb's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2010 at 4:54 AM

Howdy Neighbor! Nice state to live in. We have been here several times. We live close by to your neck of the woods.

• Tugboatguy's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2010 at 1:48 AM

Thanx 4 dropping by! I lived in Alex for a year in '92. Ate at the wharf & your tips refreshed good memories. A gal had a Sundowner tug "Prelude" like mine at the Muni pier and was a fine hostess. Lots of good memories. Doug

• tropicrd's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Walking seems to be the best when going to these fab restaurants.

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2009 at 5:53 AM

I don't believe I would choose those particular dishes, but I like the way you describe them!

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2006 at 10:45 PM

Alexandria is a lovely place at Christmas time. Actually, I think it would be nice anytime. Yes, great seafood and prepared to perfection.

• kymbanm's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2005 at 5:08 AM

Ate too much, a bit of alcohol flowed from the taps, and I had a blast. Thank you soooo much Z for the nocturnal tour of the greater DC area ...... my tummy still hurts ... am I still full, or from laughing??

• unravelau's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2004 at 3:47 AM

Great description.........wish I liked crab but in any case sounds like a wonderful dish. Maybe I could substitute fish?

• Dumpymotel's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2004 at 9:28 PM

I suddenly have a craving for Crabby Patties....

• TravelCool's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2004 at 6:21 PM

My mom and I were treated like royalty at a hotel once.

zanzooni Visits Here Frequently!

zanzooni

“be the change you want to see in the world...ghandi ~”

Badges & Stats in Alexandria

Have you been to Alexandria?