"The Thermal Springs" Saturnia by MrRandMcnally

Saturnia Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 39 photos

Another reason to love Southern Tuscany

I think most of the tourists flock to Tuscany, Pisa, Siena, Multapulciano and Montalcino and never look at the small towns in Southern Tuscany. I have to say, these are my favorite, Pitagliano, Sovano, Sorana oand Saturnia should be considdered must sees.

Saturnia's draw has to be the mineral water springs. Lonely Planet says there is a spa and that you can also enjoy the watters as they leave the spa and tomble down waterfalls. I didn't see the spa but I can't imagine that the stuff yiou pay for could be better that what you get for free. Following the line of cars parcked along the side of the road we forund our way to a powerful waterfall that cascades through circular pools where you can relax in what feels like your own personal jacusi.

I'm not sure of these circular pools are natural or were man made and are now just so covered in miniral deposits that they look like stoner but who cares, these amazing formations are filled with little round balls of mineral deposits and the water is warm, not scalding and without the foul oders that some mineral waters can have.

All this and it is free, Very cool.

• Last visit to Saturnia: Jul 2006
  • Intro Written Mar 2, 2007

Comments

MrRandMcnally

“To see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone.”

Badges & Stats in Saturnia

Have you been to Saturnia?

Latest Activity in Saturnia