"Black Rock River Lodge" Black Rock by MrRandMcnally
Black Rock Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 18 photos
I highly recomend Black Rock River Lodge. It is an amazing place nestled in amongst limestone cliffs in a secluded vally along the Macal River.
WIth comfortable little cabins, avalible with private bathrooms in the caban or for less $ just outside. The rooms have cantalever windaws that give amazing views of the surrounding Jungle. It is a perfect mix of luxery and roughing it.
The meals are amazing, with family style dinners to get to know your neighbors. The Lodge offers hiking, tubing, canoeing, night hikes, mountian biking, horseback riding and hiking to nearby unexcavated mayan Ruins, Caves filled with bats and mayan artifacts, and falls just upriver on the Macal.
Plenty of pampering and more adventure for much less money than the ultra resorts at Duplooys and Chaa Creek.
I saw basilisk (Jesus) lizards, Iguana, trantulas, crocadiles, four-eyed opposum, fresh water crab, leaf cutter ants, Mexican tree frogs, toucans, blue morpho, countless other birds and butterflies.
Others have seen Tapir, Howler Monkeys, ant eaters, etc.
Side trips to Tikal, and Xunituch (just a few miles away) are avalible.
As cool as this place was I almost didn't get there. During the rainy season, and I was there at the very end of the rainy season, the road can be washed out.
We had to wade through swiftly moving, waist high water at two points to get there. The water also made us go a day without riding or canoeing.
All in all this made it more of an adventure, adding to the fun but some may shy away from that adventure so I thought I should let you know.
- In a nutshell:Beautiful jungle, great activities, great rooms and food
Near Black Rock Lodge is a small cave system where mayan artifacts can be found as bats flap past your ears. The Maya... more travel advice
During rainy season the road can be washed out. It was waist high at two points when we showed up in mid-November and we... more travel advice
MrRandMcnally's Related Pages
Black Rock Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Black Rock
- Hotels in Black Rock
- Warnings and Dangers in Black Rock
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Black Rock
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Black Rock?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Black Rock
Photos in Black RockSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyrgyzstan Intro, 31 reviews, 26 photos
- Ambergris Cay Intro, 23 reviews, 20 photos
- Aruba Intro, 14 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Medellín Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Distrito Capital de Santafé de Bogotá Intro, 27 reviews, 7 photos
- Moscow Intro, 15 reviews, 17 photos
- San Andrés Intro, 10 reviews, 22 photos
- Cartagena Intro, 10 reviews, 19 photos
- Machu Picchu Intro, 9 reviews, 17 photos
- Cusco Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos