"A Little Out of the Way for Traditional Culture" Top 5 Page for this destination Hopkins by MrRandMcnally
Hopkins Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 85 photos
Hopkins is a small town south of Dangriga. It has beautiful sandy white beaches and wonderful people. There are two luxerious resorts south of town with diving tours but we stayed in a lovely inn closer to town, It gave us a much better chance to get to know the people.
The Garifuna culture is a mix of african and caribian that centered around the Garifuna language that has been listed as a culture treasure by the UN. With a pounding drum based music and hip shaking punta dancing, the cultural pride is everywhere in Hopkins.
Every november 19 the Garifuna selebrate the day that the ended their search for a home and were allowed to settle in Belize.
The day starts with a recreation of the first landing, followed by a catholic mass and a day of dancing and eating. I've heard that Dangriga has the bigger celebration with a huge concert but Hopkins gives a smaller more intimate and traditional celebration.
- Pros:Beautiful Beaches, wonderful people
- Cons:Sand Flees
- In a nutshell:If you can get there for Settlement day do it
In a small house on stilts down the beach from Hopkins lives the Estrada family. Everyone in the family are amazing... more travel advice
I didn't stay at the resort choosing to stay closer to town but I did wander down to see the place and to have a drink.... more travel advice
MrRandMcnally's Related Pages
Hopkins Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hopkins - a Quiet 'Backwater' in Belize"
- "If you REALLY want to get away from it all..."
- "A Little Out of the Way for Traditional Culture"
- "Hopkins: Laid Back, Out of the Way Living"
- "Traveling aimlessly thru Central American continue"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hopkins
- Hotels in Hopkins
- Transportation in Hopkins
- Restaurants in Hopkins
- Shopping in Hopkins
- Warnings and Dangers in Hopkins
- See All...
Explore the World
- Bhubaneshwar Hotels
- Sand Harbor Beach State Recreation Area Hotels
- San Antonio
- Ilha de Tavira Hotels
- Guerrero Negro
- Den Helder
- Ko Chang
- Isla de Lanzarote
- Talimena State Park Hotels
- Rivernook Hotels
- Varna Hotels
- San Vicente de la Barquera
- James Island
Badges & Stats in Hopkins
- 6 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Hopkins?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hopkins
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyrgyzstan Intro, 31 reviews, 26 photos
- Ambergris Cay Intro, 23 reviews, 20 photos
- Aruba Intro, 14 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Medellín Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Distrito Capital de Santafé de Bogotá Intro, 27 reviews, 7 photos
- Moscow Intro, 15 reviews, 17 photos
- San Andrés Intro, 10 reviews, 22 photos
- Cartagena Intro, 10 reviews, 19 photos
- Machu Picchu Intro, 9 reviews, 17 photos
- Cusco Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos