"On the way to Vaxholm Citadell" 2me's Profile

Cool town!
Vaxholm Citadell

History of Vaxholm fortress

Old VaxholmThe strategic importance of this place was understood long ago. There is the shipping root, leading to the Swedish capital of Stockholm, is divided into two branches. A broad and deep Oksdupet channel was dammed by rocks in 1548. Stone-and-wooden gun blockhouse was built on a rocky island in the middle of the Strait back in 1510 under the regent Svante Sturre Jr. rule.

In the 1544 Riksdag made a decision about the construction of permanent fortifications, and in 1548 works begun. King of Sweden at the time was notorious Gustav Vasa. By 1560 Vaxholm presented itself as the three-stores stone tower, surrounded by earthen defence works In peacetime, the fortress was carrying on watch duty, also there was a customs post, and quarantine roadstead.
Vaxholm's Citadel
Vaxholm's Citadel

Peacetime did not last long. In 1598, warships of the Polish King Sigismund with three thousand troops tried to follow to Stockholm, but were stopped by artillery fire from the fortress and forced to got away. In 1612 the Danish fleet with eight thousand troopers decided to tempt the fate, but was forced to retire after a fierce artillery duel with Vaxholm's Citadel. Exceedingly great was the joy in Stockholm city.

In the 17 AD during so-called "Era of greatness" eastern borders of the Kingdom of Sweden went far into the Ingrian marshes and defence value of Vaxholm fortress became insignificant, however some of the fortification works were made. New redoubt at Oksdupet channel was built, earthworks of Vaxholm was rebuilt to pentagonal bastion front and dressed by stone.

Source: www.nortfort.ru

• Intro Updated May 10, 2012

Jul 11, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Good to see you on here again my dear friend, you still grace my page's front cover. I must come in here a bit more too.

• 2me's Profile Photo
      Jul 23, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Hi Shell, good to see you too on board VT and thanks for the lovely note. I don't login to VT frequently but I do occasional check-up in case someone of my old friends have posted something. Have a nice day :)

Jul 23, 2013 at 4:12 PM

You and me both Vipac... will drop you a line later today if I am able. I will no doubt come in here more after my studies are over as you well know. Big hugs from here :-D

• Usctwin's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Happy birthday!

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:49 PM

Errr Abbas where did all that writing go? I know we havent been on here for awhile, but dont take it off... Its your writing after all... Thank you for the greeting on my birthday both offline and online! :-)

• adeeltahir's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Sending Warm wishes across the miles........ HAPPY BIRTHDAY in advance as I'll be out of country then.

• Etoile2B's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Happy Birthday from sunny California! Here's to many more wonderful years!

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2008 at 12:11 AM

Happy birthday, Abbas.

• fouads's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2008 at 6:13 AM

Thank you very much for visiting my home page and for your kind comment . wish you all the best fouad

• JuliaK's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2007 at 2:00 PM

Hi there! I guess you can let me know the difference between the two birthday greetings, as you know Arabic and I do not.. All the "greetings" were kindly contributed by VT members years ago.. so blame them :-)

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2007 at 11:44 AM

Hi Abbas! Thanks for visiting my pages :-) I still have many countries to visit before I have truly travelled the globe...but I'm working on it! ;-) What a great player Zizou was - one of the best in the world in recent years! :-)

• mesoblonda's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2007 at 8:53 AM

Now I understand! It was my idea...my pages... Cheers.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
2me's Profile Photo

2me

“http://www.abbascheddad.net”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.