"New York" New York City by tomhoward

New York City Travel Guide: 15,790 reviews and 31,750 photos

New Yorkers claim this is the greatest city on Earth and they're probably right.

Makes Manchester (UK) look like a country hamlet. In fact, no matter where you're from, your first visit here will leave you looking like a wide eyed, banjo strummin' yokel.

As usual, I've done these pages just as much to remember myself where I've been as to tell others.

If you're interested in films / TV locations, check out The Mayor's Office for past, present and future shoots. If that's given you a taste for stunning interiors, give Great Places Directory a try for those "only in NY" venues. Gawker's Stalker page gives the lowdown on celebrity hotspots.

Please feel free to join VT under a false pseudonym and leave me an angry retort about my views on New York bar tenders... (see below :-)

• Pros:An unsurpassed city experience
  • Cons:Someone is yet to furnish me with a good reason why a mute cab driver who can't even muster a smile deserves a 20% tip. "Just cos it's the New York way" is not good enough...
  • In a nutshell:The whole world crammed onto one small island
  • Last visit to New York City: Mar 2006
  • Intro Updated Mar 10, 2008

• Oct 18, 2009 at 7:04 PM

If you tip poorly, you probably shouldn't come back, they might mess with your food or treat you bad if they remember you as a bad tipper. But you tipped so bad because the service was bad and you don't want to come back, right?

• Mar 27, 2009 at 2:14 AM

I agree - I feel ripped off when I'm told how much tip to pay by the wait staff. And a cheap "restaurant" which is nothing more than fast fried food? They have to be kidding themselves!!!

• May 29, 2008 at 10:10 PM

Your server is working for you. Skimp them, and you haven't paid them for their service. You should only not tip if you literally cleared your table, folded your napkin, picked up your food, and washed your dishes. $4.10/hour, lower prices for you. TIP.

• Feb 26, 2008 at 1:38 PM

A key point when you are trying to figure out wages from working at a bar..."I've never worked in a bar." So you cannot estimate what they make.

• Nov 26, 2006 at 4:41 PM

I've been bartending in NY for 5 yrs. Including the elusive min. wage or shift pay, I average $550 for a 40hr week. My rent is $900/month. You do the math. And yes, I do tip (and I don't know a bartender who doesn't) 20% to other bartenders and cabbies.

• Aug 1, 2006 at 11:49 AM

great new york page, thanks for the info, looking forward to my first trip in november!!

• Hopkid's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2006 at 11:51 AM

Ha, like one needs a real reason to go back to NYC! How to pick a good Chinese restaurant: go to the one that only has Chinese people eating in it. Oh, and ask them to explain what's on the Chinese only menu. Much better than the "gringo" menu. ; )

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2006 at 12:38 AM

Finally, someone who cuts through the crap and tells the truth. Hats off to you!

• Bangkokjoe's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2006 at 6:20 AM

Cracking use of the word "muppet". I shall look out for a daft poor "tipless" (oooerrr) waitress at Grand Central with Oyster on her blouse. She sounds a right lamp. Great tips in here.

• Bavavia's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2006 at 7:13 PM

Great picture of Times Square and excellent honest to the point hotel tips...will be very helpful to people who are considering a visit to the city

Badges & Stats in New York City

Have you been to New York City?

Latest Activity in New York City