Kerman Shopping Tips by omidamini
Kerman Shopping: 1 reviews and 1 photos
The extensive Regent's Bazaar, constructed of beautiful and well preserved brick, much of it from the Safavid period, is largely of interest for its architecture rather than for the range of goods, although there are a few metalwork shops selling brass trays and the like noisily hammered into shape on site. Built by Mohammad lsmail Khan, Vakil 01- Molk, who was an energetic governor of Kerman from 1859 to 1866, the Vakil caravansary with its attractively tiled walls adjoins the main Vakil Bazaar.
The caravansary provides office accommodation for bazaar merchants. The two handsome "chimneys" are in fact wind towers (bad-girs), which are a common feature of Kerman, Yazd, and other desert towns of Iran. Cool air was drawn down to basement rooms that were used during the scorching summer months. The temperature in these rooms is between 20 to 30 degrees cooler than in those above ground in summer.
Perhaps the most enchanting corner of Kerman bazaar is the entrance to the Ebrahim Khan Madraseh and Bath-House (hammam). Built in 1816-17byacousin and son-in-Iaw of Fath Ali Shah, Ebrahim Khan, who was the governor of Kerman from 1802 to 1824, the entrance portals are decorated with gay tile work, whose designs include peacocks, water flowers and calligraphic inscriptions. The interior of both buildings are worth their entrances. The tiled and single-story Madraseh is built round a peaceful, cypress-shaded courtyard, while the walls of hammam are decorated with amusing painting said to date from the end of 18th century. There is a traditional and very atmospheric tea house inside the Vakil Bazaar, which is called the Ghahveh Khaneh Sonnati.
More Reviews (17)
omidamini's Related Pages
Kerman Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Heading for the Wild East"
- "The Icehouses In Kerman..."
- "Jameh Mosque"
- "one of the most historic town"
- "Desert Storm"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kerman
- Hotels in Kerman
- Transportation in Kerman
- Restaurants in Kerman
- Shopping in Kerman
- Warnings and Dangers in Kerman
- See All...
Explore the World
- Los Angeles
- Seoul Hotels
- Marikina Hotels
- Island Beach State Park Hotels
- Gozo Hotels
Badges & Stats in Kerman
- 18 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Kerman?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kerman
Photos in KermanSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran Intro, 49 reviews, 87 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mashhad Intro, 66 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yazd Intro, 33 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Esfahan Intro, 31 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis) Intro, 4 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kashan Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos
- Shiraz Intro, 9 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kashmar Intro, 9 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tabriz Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hamedan Intro, 18 reviews, 18 photos
Latest Kerman hotel reviews
- Akhavan Hotel
- 3 Reviews & Opinions