"Sanandaj ( SENEH DEJ )" Sanandaj by omidamini
Sanandaj Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 4 photos
Sanandaj or Senna is the capital of the Iranian province of Kurdistan.
In 2006 census, it had a population of 850'000. The city of Sanandaj is the capital of the province, and lies at a distance of 512 km from Tehran, 1,480 m above sea level. The population of Sanandaj is mainly Kurdish, with an Armenian, Chaldean and Jewish minority.
While the local urban people refer to the city as Sine (= Sna), the people of local rural areas tend to use the word 'Kursan', a local variation of 'Kurdistan'
The name "Sanandaj" is the arabized form of "Sena Dezh"(Sine Dizh in Kurdish), which means "the Castle of Sena". Nowadays, it is commonly referred to as Sine in Kurdish . Sanandaj is a rather new city and was built less than 400 years ago by the Ardalan principality in 17th century. After the Islamic conquest in AD 642 , majority of the inhabitants accepted Islam. Today most inhabitants follow Sunni Islam which is the predominant religion. This differentiates this area from most of Iran which is primarily Shi'ah.
Sanandaj only have one Airport with only one Fly in day , sometimes in 6 oclock a airplane fly from Tehran to Sanandaj... more travel advice
omidamini's Related Pages
Sanandaj Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Sanandaj
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Sanandaj?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sanandaj
Photos in SanandajSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran Intro, 49 reviews, 87 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mashhad Intro, 66 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yazd Intro, 33 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Esfahan Intro, 31 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis) Intro, 4 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kashan Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos
- Shiraz Intro, 9 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kashmar Intro, 9 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tabriz Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hamedan Intro, 18 reviews, 18 photos