"Travnik : A Pleasant Day-out from Sarajevo" Travnik by travelife
Travnik Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 79 photos
Travnik is within a easy reach of Sarajevo and wel-connected by bus. It has a very pleasant town-centre which is divided by a spring and quite a few spring-side cafe. On the top of the hill there is moderately preserved Ottoman castle which is under reconstruction. neighbouring this castel there are also some traditional houses on the top of the hill. A very good view is possible from this fort. In the town centre there are couple of good sights namely, many colored mosques, birth-place of Ivo Andric, first Nobel laurett author in Serbo-Croatian. Browsing internet and cafe menu are cheaper than Sarajevo.
This is one of the few sizable town within Bosnia which has been spared from war devastation, though Muslim and Croat fighters fought in the neighbouring hills. The town is in Muslim hands today.
Travnik is situated on the Laiva, a left-hand tributary of the Bosna, 44 m. by rail N.W. of Serajevo. Pop. (1895) about 6000. Travnik is mainly built round a steep mass of rock, crowned by an ancient citadel. Several mosques, palaces, arcades and a fine bazaar, left among its narrow lanes and wooden huts, bear witness to its former prosperity, and there are some good modern barracks and public buildings.
The old name of Travnik, was last used in the 18th century. It is likely, from the number of Roman remains, that Travnik stands near the site of a Roman colony. It was a stronghold of the Bogomili during the 15th century, but its period of greatness dated from 1686, when the downfall of the Turks in Flungary caused the removal of the Bosnian government from Banjaluka, which was dangerously near the Hungarian frontier, and the Turkish governors, officially styled valis of Hungary, ruled in Travnik from 1686 to 1850.
Travnik has always been a fortress outpost but the town itself and the latest evident architecture of thefortress was... more travel advice
Not accessable by the visitors, the mosque is open only in the prayer time and welcome the faithfuls. But the colorful... more travel advice
travelife's Related Pages
Travnik Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Travnik : A Pleasant Day-out from Sarajevo"
- "Travnik - Cultural powerhouse of Central Bosnia"
- "Travnik, Bosnia and Herzegovina"
- "A real foreigners view of Bosnia and Croatia"
- "my little Travnik page"
- "Travnik The city of Mehmed II"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Travnik
- Transportation in Travnik
- Restaurants in Travnik
- Warnings and Dangers in Travnik
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Travnik
- 14 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Travnik?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Travnik
- Posted in Travel Bangladesh Forum "RE: Tourist visa for Bangladesh"
- Commented on one of Bosnian_King's Travnik travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ottoman Castle in Travnik 2"
- updated a Travnik Travel Page "Travnik : A Pleasant Day-out from Sarajevo"
- Wrote a Review Ottoman Castle in Travnik 2 in Travnik Things to Do
Photos in TravnikSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 160 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dhaka Intro, 122 reviews, 166 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 104 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogotá Intro, 90 reviews, 128 photos, 4 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 76 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caracas Intro, 59 reviews, 77 photos, 3 travelogues
- Copenhagen 57 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Århus Intro, 40 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Mostar 41 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bosnia and Herzegovina Intro, 35 reviews, 36 photos