"The Bosnian Identity" Top 5 Page for this destination Bosnia and Herzegovina by travelife
Bosnia and Herzegovina Travel Guide: 3,545 reviews and 9,469 photos
Not surprisingly, Bosnia & Herzegovina brings on the picture of war-reporting and the overused term of 'ethnic cleansing'.
Both Serbian and Croatian scholars tend to identify Bosnians as their own people, thus to claim a larger territory of their own. But the Bosnians say something else: The all three people living in this area were always isolated by mountains or river (Drina, Sava etc.) and share more in common within than with... though historic Croatian border was at some point upto Jaice. Even after the announcement of independence of Bosnia there were 'peace rallies' from all sides in support of the Bosnian state and against the intervention of Belgrade. A reason for those peace rallies was that a large number of mixed marriages among Catholics, Muslims and Orthodox. As the question concerns whether Bosnians are former Catholics or Orthodox ---- the answer would be some from both of them but the most from the members of Bosnian church which was loosely related to Rome and severed ties with international Roman catholicism around 12th century. Bosnian Church remained a low key church without any control over the state and tolerated by the later Catholic rulers until 1459 when Papal aid against the Turks became conditional, i.e. elimination of the Bosnian church. A weak institution throughout its existence, members overwhelmingly converted to Islam to avoid persecutions from kings and also gained positions in Ottoman hierarchy.
As there has been a sense of differentiating from the sister Serbo-Croatian language and because of a new religion, many words from Arabic, Persian and/or Turkish were incorporated into Bosnian language. A slightly distinctive accent has also been developed this way. The term 'Bosniak' is used to refer Muslims. But the term 'Bosnian' should include all three people. This is a country where you are expected to be 100% politically correct!
A good map on Sarajevo and road-map would help. There are maps on sale but you can only trust the one recommended by... more travel advice
I met a painter along this line of butiks named Tahir Kosovic, many of his work based on water-color were on sale,... more travel advice
travelife's Related Pages
Bosnia and Herzegovina Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "90 days at a time"
- "The Bosnian Identity"
- "Land of Rivers, Forested Hills .. and much more"
- "A beautiful country with a sad history"
- "A blissful week in Bosnia and Herzegowina !"
- "BOSANSKI SEVDAH"
- "Bosnia and Herzegovina . . . as I remember it"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Hotels in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Transportation in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Nightlife in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Restaurants in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Shopping in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Warnings and Dangers in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 113 Reviews
- 108 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Bosnia and Herzegovina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Posted in Travel Bangladesh Forum "RE: Tourist visa for Bangladesh"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cultural Highlights 2"
- updated a Bosnia and Herzegovina Travel Page "The Bosnian Identity"
- Wrote a Review Sarajevo Map in Bosnia and Herzegovina What to Pack
- Commented on one of santamonicaboy's Bosnia and Herzegovina travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 160 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dhaka Intro, 122 reviews, 166 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 104 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogotá Intro, 90 reviews, 128 photos, 4 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 76 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caracas Intro, 59 reviews, 77 photos, 3 travelogues
- Copenhagen 57 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Århus Intro, 40 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Mostar 41 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bosnia and Herzegovina Intro, 35 reviews, 36 photos