"* Ghana, Africa's black star *" Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana by Pieter11
Ghana Travel Guide: 1,483 reviews and 4,063 photos
Ghana is one of the few English speaking countries in West Africa. It is completely surrounded by Francophone countries: Ivory Coast in the West, Burkina Faso in the North and Togo in the East.
Ghana was the first black-African country to gain independency in 1957, under the former president Kwame Nkrumah. Before that period the biggest part of the country belonged to the ancient Ashanti-kingdom and later, when the British beated the Ashanti, the country was called Gold Coast.
At this moment it has 22,5 million inhabitants. The majority of the people are christians, but there also are a lot of people with animistic religions and in the north there are many muslims too.
Ghana is one of the safest and easiest African countries to travel through. Public transportation never is a problem and the people are always willing to help you.
The highlights of Ghana are skattered all over the country. In the south you can relax on the sandbeaches at the Gulf of Guinea, or visit the impressive slave castles in Cape Coast or Elmina.
In the centre of Ghana you can see great nature: shower under waterfalls, walk between treetops, spot sacred monkeys and in the middle of all this nature you should never miss the old Ashanti-capital Kumasi.
In the north of the country you enter the islamic world with mud-and-sticks mosques, with a savanna vegetation and with wildlife reserves with hippo's, monkeys, antilopes and elephants.
With the information you find on this page and my other Ghana-pages, you should be able to spend at least three weeks in the country without being bored for one single day.
- Pros:Nice people, great weather, hardly any tourists, cheap, very diverse, safe, English-speaking...
- Cons:Bad road-conditions, not so nice food, uncomfortable public transportation...
- In a nutshell:Ghana has everything for an adventurous solo-trip in Africa!
I often read and hear stories about "that you have to be careful in Ghana". Everybody is strongly advised to be very... more travel advice
The most luxurious rooms that you can get in Ghana are the so called "self contained" rooms. These are the normal... more travel advice
- See All Know where to buy your souvenirs
- See All Give me...
- See All Elmina
- See All Fan Ice
Pieter11's Related Pages
Ghana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The African gem that is Ghana"
- "* Ghana, Africa's black star *"
- "Real People Live in Ghana"
- "Two weeks in Ghana"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ghana
- Hotels in Ghana
- Transportation in Ghana
- Nightlife in Ghana
- Restaurants in Ghana
- Shopping in Ghana
- Warnings and Dangers in Ghana
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ghana
- 249 Reviews
- 583 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Ghana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ghana
- Uploaded a Video to Ghana
- Posted in Travel Saint Kitts and Nevis Forum "Re: taxi from port to brimstone"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bradt Guide"
- Wrote a Review Criminality in Ghana Warnings and Dangers
- updated a Ghana Travel Page "* Ghana, Africa's black star *"
- Commented on one of grets's Ghana travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadeloupe Intro, 96 reviews, 339 photos
- Paris Intro, 107 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 69 reviews, 190 photos
- Athens Intro, 62 reviews, 167 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 47 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Caribbean and Central America Intro, 25 reviews, 121 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Western Sahara Intro, 33 reviews, 113 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 41 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liechtenstein Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Tamale Intro, 26 reviews, 78 photos