"Gwada: Le papillon des Caraïbes" Top 5 Page for this destination Guadeloupe by Pieter11
Guadeloupe Travel Guide: 486 reviews and 1,340 photos
In the northern part of the Lesser Antilles you’ll find an island that looks just like a huge butterfly. This butterfly is a part of the Republic of France and is called La Guadeloupe. Like all the islands here Guadeloupe also creates the border between the Caribbean Sea in the West and the Atlantic Ocean in the East. To its South you’ll find the island of Dominica, to the Northwest the British island Montserrat and to the North the country Antigua and Barbuda.
The mainisland of La Guadeloupe (the butterfly) consists of two parts, devided by a small, salty river. The Western part is Basse-Terre: a mountainess island with a volcano, jungle, waterfalls and more natural beauty. The Eastern part is called Grande-Terre and is more flat and is the tourist centre of the island.
Besides this there are several smaller islands in the direct surroundings: La Désirade, Marie-Galante, the tiny Îles de la Petite Terre and the islands of Les Saintes.
I lived on Guadeloupe (on Grande-Terre) for three months. In this period I tried to visit as much places as possible here, to get a good, complete view of what the archipelago has to offer. The tips on this page will be organised in the below order:
3) La Désirade
5) Les Saintes
For a short intro in some of the nearby islands, check my "off-the-beaten-path" tips.
- Pros:"Gwada" has lots of different faces: natural and cultural
- Cons:It's quite expensive to visit and quite touristy
- In a nutshell:A good and easy introduction to the Caribbean
Sports are very popular on Guadeloupe. A big part of the people practise at least one sport and in the French Olympic... more travel advice
A serious risk you have to think about on Guadeloupe are falling coconuts. It's not really the first thing you think... more travel advice
Pieter11's Related Pages
Guadeloupe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gwada: Le papillon des Caraïbes"
- "dont you want to jump in the water?"
- "Karukera !"
- "All the colors of the Caribbean"
- "La Guadeloupe"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Guadeloupe
- Hotels in Guadeloupe
- Transportation in Guadeloupe
- Nightlife in Guadeloupe
- Restaurants in Guadeloupe
- Shopping in Guadeloupe
- Warnings and Dangers in Guadeloupe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Guadeloupe
- 102 Reviews
- 345 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Guadeloupe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guadeloupe
Videos in GuadeloupeSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadeloupe Intro, 96 reviews, 339 photos
- Paris Intro, 107 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 69 reviews, 190 photos
- Athens Intro, 62 reviews, 167 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 47 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Caribbean and Central America Intro, 25 reviews, 121 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Western Sahara Intro, 33 reviews, 113 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 41 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liechtenstein Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Tamale Intro, 26 reviews, 78 photos