"Gwada: Le papillon des Caraïbes" Top 5 Page for this destination Guadeloupe by Pieter11

Guadeloupe Travel Guide: 480 reviews and 1,305 photos

In the northern part of the Lesser Antilles you’ll find an island that looks just like a huge butterfly. This butterfly is a part of the Republic of France and is called La Guadeloupe. Like all the islands here Guadeloupe also creates the border between the Caribbean Sea in the West and the Atlantic Ocean in the East. To its South you’ll find the island of Dominica, to the Northwest the British island Montserrat and to the North the country Antigua and Barbuda.

The mainisland of La Guadeloupe (the butterfly) consists of two parts, devided by a small, salty river. The Western part is Basse-Terre: a mountainess island with a volcano, jungle, waterfalls and more natural beauty. The Eastern part is called Grande-Terre and is more flat and is the tourist centre of the island.

Besides this there are several smaller islands in the direct surroundings: La Désirade, Marie-Galante, the tiny Îles de la Petite Terre and the islands of Les Saintes.

I lived on Guadeloupe (on Grande-Terre) for three months. In this period I tried to visit as much places as possible here, to get a good, complete view of what the archipelago has to offer. The tips on this page will be organised in the below order:

1) Basse-Terre
2) Grande-Terre
3) La Désirade
4) Marie-Galante
5) Les Saintes

For a short intro in some of the nearby islands, check my "off-the-beaten-path" tips.

• Pros:"Gwada" has lots of different faces: natural and cultural
  • Cons:It's quite expensive to visit and quite touristy
  • In a nutshell:A good and easy introduction to the Caribbean
  • Last visit to Guadeloupe: Dec 2008
  • Intro Updated Feb 20, 2009

• Wafro's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Great page with complete info about a place i'd like to visit once. But the taxi's are much more expencive than the Ghanaian one!
    :))

• Marisola's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Wow! Nice pages on Gwada, Pieter! I just got back from visiting there for four days! I stayed at a friend's home in Basse-Terre, and I really had a wonderful experience!

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Very extensive page, well done!! Great photos too! Food and drinks, and some place names are similar to the Martinique ones. Anyway, I know where to go now on VT if I decide to visit Guadeloupe.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2009 at 5:16 AM

Excellent page! - got me itching to go there and thanks for the info on getting off to other nearby islands and places! If I went I would have to make it an island hopping trip!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2009 at 4:54 PM

I never heard such good description until now-but today I also learned of Mustique controlled by Brits is also in the Caribbean

• Marpessa's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2009 at 2:41 AM

And now that I have read every tip and seen every photo... :) a wonderful page Pieter, one of your best I think. The photos are breathtaking, I want to go to Gwada! And to also one day be 'lying in Coma' ;D.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2009 at 3:36 AM

Hello, Piter! Great description of that faraway destination! Thanks!

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2009 at 2:57 AM

I'm Dominican (from the Republic) and I think it's a shame that flying within the Caribbean islands is a PITA, so I took a moment to live vicariously thru your tips ;) Let me know how your flight memory looks like if you ever sign up.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2009 at 7:27 PM

another great Guadaloupe tip! Are you already in the Top 5 ? You should be... Norman :)

Pieter11 Used To Live Here!

Pieter11

“So much of who we are is where we have been”

Badges & Stats in Guadeloupe

Have you been to Guadeloupe?

Latest Activity in Guadeloupe