Saint Kitts and Nevis Transportation Tips by Pieter11 Top 5 Page for this destination
Saint Kitts and Nevis Transportation: 21 reviews and 61 photos
Around in the island in "the White Russian"
Apart from the experience that you're missing when travelling by bus, a car really is the best way to see the island of Saint Kitts. It makes it possible to make the whole northern loop in a few hours, and the southern loop in only an hour, and adding stops wherever you like.
When renting a car you have to keep in mind that you'll need to buy a local driving license. This is their way of charging road taxes. It will add another 10 US Dollars to the price of renting a car. It is a great way to travel around though: it saves you from a long climb up to Brimstone Hill Fortress, and it offers you great views of the coastlines and the islands around Saint Kitts. When going to the Southern Peninsula it's an easy way to look for desolate beaches and spotting monkeys.
Make sure to fill up the tank in Basseterre because there are no/hardly any gas stations in other parts of the island!
Type: Car/Motor Home
An unwritten agreement on Saint Kitts is that the minibusses on the island only cover the northern part of the island. All other routes (to the airport, to Frigate Bay and to the south) are only covered by taxis. Fortunately these taxis are not too expensive.
I took the taxi to get from the airport to the centre of Basseterre. It's only a trip of 15 minutes and I payed about 5 US Dollars for it. To get to Frigate Bay it's an interesting option as well. When you want to get to the south of the island and back, it might be better to consider renting a scooter or a car for a day.
The taxis can be found everywhere in Basseterre. When you are going to a beach or another remote place in the south it might be wise to ask a phonenumber of a taxidriver so you can call when you want to go back.
Minibusses in central Basseterre
The cheapest and the nicest way to travel around the island of Saint Kitts is by the minibusses that you'll find everywhere! These busses have the greatest names: 'Jah Blessing', 'Reggae Doctor' or 'Zion Train', the music is turned on load, and it's always a nice way to make a chat with the other people in the bus.
The busses only cover the northern part of the island: the way south towards Frigate Bay and the Southern Peninsula is covered by taxis. The northern loop is covered clockwise and counterclockwise, so you basically can never take the wrong bus: it's just a matter of patience. Of course it's better to ask the driver which bus to take.
The prices are never a point of discussion: the maximum price is about 5 Eastern Caribbean Dollar: about 2,50 US Dollars. The busses depart every 5 or 10 minutes from the bus station at the Ferry Terminal in Basseterre, but when you stop a bus passing by making a hand signal you basically can jump in wherever you want.
One of LIAT's drama-planes
LIAT: congratulations! LIAT Airlines to me is officially the WORST airline I ever flew with! I used it to fly from Saint-Martin to Saint-Kitts and back and it was a true disaster!
The flight from Saint-Martin to Saint-Kitts normally takes 25 minutes, but my flight to Basseterre had a delay of 14 hours and on my way back there were another 5 hours of delay! As I understood the whole schedule of LIAT often is a complete chaos full of delays, and even though they clearly have experience with it, they suck at communicating about it. When you have a question about what's going to happen they react rude and impatient and they only do the absolute necessary. On top of this they lost my luggage too on my way to Saint-Kitts.
If there is a way to prevent flying with LIAT: do it! They might be cheap, but it's better to spend 20 extra dollar and flying on time then to spend a full day at the airport with a lot of problems.
More Reviews (17)
- See All Saint Kitts' Beaches
- See All Downtown Basseterre
- See All Turtle Beach Bar
- Eastern Caribbean Dollars
Pieter11's Related Pages
Saint Kitts and Nevis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A New Favorite"
- "St. Kitts: Paradise Found"
- "Formerly a Sugar Island"
- "Saint Kitts and Nevis: an easy-going twin"
- "December 18, 2006 - Arriving in Basseterre"
- "St. Kitts"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Hotels in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Transportation in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Nightlife in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Restaurants in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Shopping in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- 21 Reviews
- 82 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Saint Kitts and Nevis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Uploaded a Video to Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Wrote a Review Saint Kitts' Beaches in Saint Kitts and Nevis Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Southern Loop"
- Posted in Travel Saint Kitts and Nevis Forum "Re: taxi from port to brimstone"
- updated a Saint Kitts and Nevis Travel Page "Saint Kitts and Nevis: an easy-going twin"
Photos in Saint Kitts and NevisSee All Photos (82)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadeloupe Intro, 96 reviews, 339 photos
- Paris Intro, 107 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 69 reviews, 190 photos
- Athens Intro, 62 reviews, 167 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 47 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Caribbean and Central America Intro, 25 reviews, 121 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Western Sahara Intro, 33 reviews, 113 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 41 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liechtenstein Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Tamale Intro, 26 reviews, 78 photos