"Saint Kitts and Nevis: an easy-going twin" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Kitts and Nevis by Pieter11
Saint Kitts and Nevis Travel Guide: 337 reviews and 1,198 photos
If you are looking for a destination in the Caribbean that is not (yet) completely spoiled by mass-tourism, with huge casino's, resorts, and tax-free shopping streets everywhere, the two islands Saint-Kitts and Nevis might be something for you. With nice nature, old culture, good nightlife and wide beaches it has a bit for all!
Although mass-tourism has not yet landed here, most tourists visit the island as a part of a luxurious cruise. I've been there on a low-budget, being creative with food, accommodation and transportation. If your interested in this way of travelling: keep on reading!
The islands of Saint Kitts and Nevis are part of the Leeward Islands, in the Western Caribbean Islands. The the west you'll see the Caribbean Sea, and to the east the islands of Antigua and Barbuda. To the north the Dutch islands Saint-Eustatius and Saba are close and to the south the British island Montserrat is the first piece of land you'll find.
Saint Kitts and Nevis are part of the British Commonwealth: they became independent from the United Kingdom in 1983. Eversince the two are in a federation, both 'they say' that it might be possible that the two will split up in the future because of political differences.
The two islands Saint Kitts and Nevis are together the smallest state in the Americas, both on surface as on number of inhabitants. Only 45.000 people live here and can call themselves Kittitians and Nevisians.
Saint Kitts is the biggest of the two (I only visited this island). It has a lot of everything: a fantastic UNESCO-heritage site on the westcoast, remote beaches in the south, a vivid nightlife in Frigate Bay and great nature in the north. The island is called after the patron saint of Columbus: Saint Christopher is the official name of Saint Kitts.
The name of Nevis is a small mistake of Mr. Columbus. When he saw the peak of this southern island he had the idea that there was snow on the top: what was he thinking?! In reality there is the high peak of Mt. Nevis surrounded by sugar plantation and white beaches.
- Pros:Relaxed, everything is close
- Cons:It is really, really small
The Southern part of Saint Kitts is all about beaches. Beaches in a lot of different ways. If you are looking for a... more travel advice
One of the most famous attractions on the island of Saint Kitts is the "St Kitts Scenis Railway". This railway used to... more travel advice
- See All Downtown Basseterre
- See All Turtle Beach Bar
- Eastern Caribbean Dollars
Pieter11's Related Pages
Saint Kitts and Nevis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A New Favorite"
- "St. Kitts: Paradise Found"
- "Formerly a Sugar Island"
- "Saint Kitts and Nevis: an easy-going twin"
- "December 18, 2006 - Arriving in Basseterre"
- "St. Kitts"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Hotels in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Transportation in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Nightlife in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Restaurants in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Shopping in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- 21 Reviews
- 82 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Saint Kitts and Nevis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Uploaded a Video to Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Wrote a Review Saint Kitts' Beaches in Saint Kitts and Nevis Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Southern Loop"
- Posted in Travel Saint Kitts and Nevis Forum "Re: taxi from port to brimstone"
- updated a Saint Kitts and Nevis Travel Page "Saint Kitts and Nevis: an easy-going twin"
Photos in Saint Kitts and NevisSee All Photos (82)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadeloupe Intro, 96 reviews, 339 photos
- Paris Intro, 107 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 69 reviews, 190 photos
- Athens Intro, 62 reviews, 167 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 47 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Caribbean and Central America Intro, 25 reviews, 121 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Western Sahara Intro, 33 reviews, 113 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 41 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liechtenstein Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Tamale Intro, 26 reviews, 78 photos