"Dominica: 1000 shades of green" Dominica by Pieter11
Dominica Travel Guide: 301 reviews and 867 photos
The island of Dominica is a very small spot of the world map. So small that on the VT map it's not even visible when you've been there. The island in the Leewards Islands is one of the smallest countries in the world, but it has a lot to offer for the few tourists that come here.
The few tourists that visit the island mostly are tourists that only spend a part of the day here; the period that their cruiseship is in the harbour. But a couple of hours of the island really is not enough to get a good impression of the beauty that Dominica has to offer. I was there for 4 days and even that was actually not enough.
Dominica is often confused with the Dominican Republic, but they really are two completely different countries. Dominica is only 754 square kilometers big and only has about 70.000 inhabitants. It is situated between the Atlantic Ocean (east) and the Caribbean Sea (west). The islands of Guadeloupe are to the north and the other French island of Martinique is to the south.
The island is member of the British Commonwealth. For a long time it was part of the British empire, but in 1978 it became an independant nation. There still are a lot of signs that the island used to be British, but on the other hand it is changing quickly into a real Caribbean island with an own identity.
The biggest attraction on Dominica clearly is its absolutely amazing nature. No where in the Caribbean you will find such natural beauty as on Dominica. Tropical forests, waterfalls, mountains, hot springs... You name it, they have it. If you are looking for 1000 shades of green; on Dominica you will find them without any problem.
And apart from this natural beauty, the island is just a very nice place to hang around. The people are friendly, the atmosphere is very relaxed, the music they play is great, the food is tasty, and the climate is perfect.
- Pros:Feels like you're in the Garden of Eden
- Cons:Cheap accommodation is hard to find
- In a nutshell:A real pearl in the Caribbean
I can't imagine that someone on Dominica will be able to drive around the island for 5 minutes without seeing a Kubuli... more travel advice
Right in the heart of the island, there is a natural pool hidden in the green forest. This pool is called the Emerald... more travel advice
Pieter11's Related Pages
Dominica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Green Island"
- "Dominica-the nature island"
- "Steve's Dominica page"
- "A Lush Tropical Isle"
- "Dominica: 1000 shades of green"
- "Martin_S.'s Dominica"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dominica
- Hotels in Dominica
- Transportation in Dominica
- Nightlife in Dominica
- Restaurants in Dominica
- Shopping in Dominica
- Warnings and Dangers in Dominica
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dominica
- 6 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Dominica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dominica
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadeloupe Intro, 96 reviews, 339 photos
- Paris Intro, 107 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 69 reviews, 190 photos
- Athens Intro, 62 reviews, 167 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 47 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Caribbean and Central America Intro, 25 reviews, 121 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Western Sahara Intro, 33 reviews, 113 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 41 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liechtenstein Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Tamale Intro, 26 reviews, 78 photos