"Backpacking through Central America" Caribbean and Central America by Pieter11
Caribbean and Central America Travel Guide: 42,200 reviews and 102,470 photos
In September 2007 I visited Central America during a backpacking trip of three weeks. During this trip I visited six countries in the region: some with a very short visit, and some for a longer time. It resulted in one of the best journey I have made in my life so far!
The region is easy accessible: the distances are small and the public transportation is great. And another big advantage is that Central America is very, very diverse: from the Maya Ruins in the north to the coffee- and banana plantations in the south, and from the volcanoes in the west to the Caribbean beaches in the east. Everything can be reached in only a few hours of travelling.
This page will be based on my own experiences only. All the destinations I visited will be mentioned here, and all the good and bad things about them. My opinions about the touristic sights, about the hotels and guesthouses I stayed in, the restaurants and street stalls I ate at, and the public transportation I used.
This Central America page will be the base for further indepth pages about the destinations itself. Via links you will be forwarded to these pages, if you are interested in more info.
My trip through the region started in Guatemala, where I spend a few days. After that I went to El Salvador for a short stay there, and then on to Honduras for another few days there. In Nicaragua I spent about a week before I went on to Costa Rica for another few days. From here I shortly visited Panama, and after that I spend another few days in Costa Rica.
This page will be completely based on the route I followed during my trip. So the tips about Guatemala will be in the beginning of every category and Panama will be last. And of course there will also be a lot of general tips about the region as a whole.
I also visited the Caribbean, but to keep it clear I posted all these tips on seperate pages. I'm slowly building pages about all different islands I visited. Absolutely fantastic ones: a lot needs to be written about them!
So far I finished the following pages:
And I'm busy building:
Check these out if you want to see more about this completely different area!
- Pros:Everything is close to eachother and very diverse
- Cons:Ummm... maybe that it's not always too safe? No: it's great!
- In a nutshell:Latin-America in a nutshell
The most important inspiration for my trip to Central America was Paul Theroux book "The Old Patagonia Express". This... more travel advice
A perfect destination for a daytrip from San José is the city of Cartago, just east from the capital. The city is the... more travel advice
Pieter11's Related Pages
Caribbean and Central America Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "SAILING THE CARIBBEAN ON GLASSY SEAS"
- "Caribbean Cruise: A True Form of Luxury"
- "Welcome to the Caribbean mon!"
- "Cruise Update: Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean"
- "Cruising through the Carribbean!"
- "Backpacking through Central America"
- "Central America and Caribean by luiggi"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Caribbean and Central America
- Hotels in Caribbean and Central America
- Transportation in Caribbean and Central America
- Nightlife in Caribbean and Central America
- Restaurants in Caribbean and Central America
- Shopping in Caribbean and Central America
- Warnings and Dangers in Caribbean and Central America
- See All...
Nearby Travel Guides
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Caribbean and Central America
- 316 Reviews
- 1,005 Photos
- 8 Countries
- 18 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Caribbean and Central America?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Caribbean and Central America
- Uploaded a Photo to "Backpacking through Central America"
- updated a Caribbean and Central America Travel Page "Backpacking through Central America"
- Wrote a Review Old Patagonia Express in Caribbean and Central America What to Pack
- Posted in Travel Saint Kitts and Nevis Forum "Re: taxi from port to brimstone"
Photos in Caribbean and Central AmericaSee All Photos (1005)
Videos in Caribbean and Central AmericaSee All Videos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadeloupe Intro, 96 reviews, 339 photos
- Paris Intro, 107 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 69 reviews, 190 photos
- Athens Intro, 62 reviews, 167 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 47 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Caribbean and Central America Intro, 25 reviews, 121 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Western Sahara Intro, 33 reviews, 113 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 41 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liechtenstein Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Tamale Intro, 26 reviews, 78 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (41)
Top Caribbean and Central America hotels
- Punta Cana Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Negril Hotels
- 429 Reviews - 962 Photos
- San Juan Hotels
- 689 Reviews - 2183 Photos
- Montego Bay Hotels
- 229 Reviews - 455 Photos
- Puerto Plata Hotels
- 71 Reviews - 230 Photos
- Santo Domingo Hotels
- 427 Reviews - 944 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 419 Reviews - 1018 Photos
- Ocho Rios Hotels
- 269 Reviews - 630 Photos
- Grand Cayman Hotels
- 420 Reviews - 805 Photos
- Providenciales Island Hotels
- 157 Reviews - 655 Photos
- Runaway Bay Hotels
- 85 Reviews - 187 Photos
- La Romana Hotels
- 58 Reviews - 101 Photos
- Kingston Hotels
- 107 Reviews - 170 Photos
- Saint Thomas Hotels
- 51 Reviews - 60 Photos
- Tobago Hotels
- 59 Reviews - 132 Photos